What's On My Glass?

1. BReefer97 Member Member

I've tried taking videos of it, because I can see it with my naked eye, but I can't get any of my cameras to focus in on it. They're extremely tiny specs moving about the glass. I don't seem to see them anywhere else throughout the tank (decorations, plants, etc.) and I don't see them free floating in the water. What a could this be and how did this get in my tank?

The tank in question is a 3.5 gallon betta fish tank. Cycled, 0,0,20 - heated to 78 degrees. I recently exchanged the gravel in the tank for white sand and added some dwarf hair grass. I have driftwood soaking in a bucket waiting to be added, as well as java fern and anubius. I had a brine shrimp tank a few months ago that also had these same exact things in it - but they had no decor, substrate, or live plants. How are they getting in? Is it in my water??? My water conditioner maybe? And most importantly, is this harmful to my fish?

I did a water change two days ago and scrubbed at the glass of the tank with a soft rag, I feel like I removed a lot of them but since I didn't feel comfortable doing a 100% water change, I couldn't remove them all. Help me!!!

2. popsikle Initiate Member

Did they show up after adding the grass?

3. BReefer97 Member Member

Yeah, hadn't noticed them before adding the grass and the sand. I did a salt dip before adding them. I thought they were seed shrimp, but they're much much smaller than that. And to add - the move pretty quickly. Kind of aimlessly running into one another.

@AllieSten any idea? I need some answers. I think they're reproducing pretty quickly.

4. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

Look up hydra. See if that's what it looks like. They are some sort of nematode I think. Like fine grains of moving rice..

5. BReefer97 Member Member

I don't think it's hydra. They don't have any of those little "tentacle" things. Some of them look like tiny specs of moving round sand dust, while others are a bit more oval shaped. But like I said, there's nothing coming off of them. They're just little specs :( I can't find an answer to this anywhere. I can get some video, but once I upload it the quality isn't good enough anymore.

They kind of look like this. But they're much smaller than that and there isn't nearly that many. But there's got to be hundreds in my tank.

6. JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

does it look like copepods?

7. BReefer97 Member Member

Agh. Also no :( I wish I could better explain it. But they don't seem to have any kind of appendages that I can see. They're like the size of a needle tip. I thought it was honestly just particles of some sort in the water, but I can know for sure they're living things by the way the move on the glass.

It's also not planaria. My betts fish doesn't seem to notice them and they don't notice him because like I said, they stick to the glass. They're all throughout; but mainly near the substrate. After I did the water change and scrubbed the glass they were mainly at the top -- now back at the bottom.

8. Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

9. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

I understand your frustration. I had whatever that video shows in my tank for some time. No one here was able to identify what they were. They ended up being harmless and have disappeared from my tank after a couple months of continually growing back. Where did you find that video? I'm still quite curious as to what they were. Does the video identify what those little creatures are? I thought hydra in my tank, but NavigatorBlack told me probably not.

10. MongooseALaMode Well Known Member Member

Could they be water fleas? I have them in one of my tanks. Im pretty sure they are not an issue and are actually a good sign. I think they are similar to daphnia

11. BReefer97 Member Member

I was just googling possible things it could be and that's a video that appeared; the uploader doesn't know what it is either.

Ahh! Water fleas looks like the closest thing yet; the pictures make them look bigger than what they are in my tank, but I feel like this is the closest diagnosis as I'm going to get. :) thank you!!!! Good to know they're harmless.

12. scarface Well Known Member Member

Yea I got them too. They stick to glass and they're super quick. No idea what they are, but had them a while. They're found only in my 1.5g walstad tank. It doesn't bother me, but I don't have hundreds of them like you do.

13. BReefer97 Member Member

There's not as many anymore, they've been dying off with my water changes. But I wanted to come back on this thread and say now I have worms in my tank. Not many, but I dosed with prazipro as that's the only dewormer I have on hand. I'm pretty sure it's planaria, but I'm not certain. This was in my brine shrimp tank too, which frustrates me. Could this be because of my water conditioner or something? How are these things getting into tanks with no substrate, decor, or live plants? The brine shrimp tank was taken down months ago and everything was thrown away because I was so worried about contaminating my betta tank.