Whats needed for a pair of rats?

babykitten

(Sorry didn't know where else to ask this question lol)
What's everything one would need to have a pair of rats? Toys, food, bedding, cage and everything else you need. Please dont leave anything out. Thanks!

Scintillaa

Not sure this is the place for this, I'd recommend going to Reddit or talking to someone who has rats.

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

There is a section of fish lore for other pets.

Rodents

Dennis57

A piece of cheese and a rat trap. Sorry but I had to

flyinGourami

Bettafish1 said:
What's everything one would need to have a pair of rats? Toys, food, bedding, cage and everything else you need. Please dont leave anything out. Thanks!
I can't answer for EVERYTHING but I will try to think of almost everything. You need a wire cage; rats have sensitive respitory systems so they need good air flow. Most people will recommend a cage that is 72*36*44 cm, but of course bigger is always better. You will need a bedding of some sort. Fleece is one of the best options. You can also use paper bedding, but I wouldn't recommend it since its not really good for them. I see people who also use cat litters(make sure its safe however). For food, you want a good, commercial rat block as a base. Mixes are usually bad in nutrition and rats will sometimes pick only their favorite things. A good rat food is the Oxbow rat food. A good way to enrich feeding time is to use foraging toys, although you can also use those when you feed treats. Rats should also be supplemented with vegetables and protien(and occasionally fruits and grains, such as pasta). For toys you want some things for them to chew on. For two rats, the minimum in my opinion is to get 3 hides/huts, but always provide other things they can hide in or behind. I would also get climbing toys and hammocks as rats like to hang out at the top so they can look down below. Again, foraging toys are really good. You can also get bridges, ropes and tunnels. Some people will also use litter boxes. I know I am missing a few things out that I can't remember right now lol. Also this isn't really a supply thing but rats are REALLY smart and I would try to take them out for 30-60 minutes at least 5 times a week and let them play outside of their cage. You can also train them for mental enrichment. Again, I know I haven't covered EVERYTHING and I'm sorry but I have bad memory. Hope this helps

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

A water dispenser designed for rodents. Some sort of food dish??? Rat shampoo???

flyinGourami

Canacullus said:
A water dispenser designed for rodents. Some sort of food dish??? Rat shampoo???
Oh yeah I thats one of the things I forgot! Get a good bottle(get those things with the metal dispenser bead things lol), a food dish, and don't bathe your rats unless necessary(vet directed or they are really dirty because they got into a mess or their cage is bad). Rats usually clean themselves though. Bathing your rat can be REALLY stressful for them so please don't unless really necessary.

wishuponafish

An exercise wheel? I don't know if rats need it but mice, gerbils, and hamsters use them.

flyinGourami

wishuponafish said:
An exercise wheel? I don't know if rats need it but mice, gerbils, and hamsters use them.
Rats don't need exercise wheels. Some will use them though, but if you do use them keep in mind that its only mostly females that will use them(more active lol) and that they have to be really big. Make sure that when your rat uses them, their backs aren't bending. If their backs are bending it'll cause problems later.

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

A treadmill then.

Dennis57

How about a train? Hey here in New York they love them

HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

A little sewer model.

babykitten

Thank you all! For some good info, and some laughs

flyinGourami

Bettafish1 said:
Thank you all! For some good info, and some laughs
Haha no problem

babykitten

skar

Bettafish1 said:
I disagree with some of the advice given here.
Do not use cat litter for rats !! Way to dusty and they do have sensitive respiratory tracts. Not mention temperature regulation and play.

Use paper bedding or Aspen shavings will work well.
You don't need to buy them rat food.
My rats would rather starve than eat lab blocks !!
Just give them what tou would eat every night.

Cereal, bread, kale etc...
Try to avoid high fat and high sugars.
No apple seeds and try to avoid chocolate.

Enjoy

Wrench

The only thing you need for rats is a ball python

flyinGourami

skar said:
I disagree with some of the advice given here.
Do not use cat litter for rats !! Way to dusty and they do have sensitive respiratory tracts. Not mention temperature regulation and play.

Use paper bedding or Aspen shavings will work well.
You don't need to buy them rat food.
My rats would rather starve than eat lab blocks !!
Just give them what tou would eat every night.

Cereal, bread, kale etc...
Try to avoid high fat and high sugars.
No apple seeds and try to avoid chocolate.

Enjoy
Certain cat litters imo are fine. I forgot what its called but a lot of people use a certain cat litter and have success with it, you just have to avoid most cat litters(dusty ones, scented stuff like that). You don't need to give them rat food yes, but its a more convenient base diet. Making your own diy diet requires more research and you have to make sure everything is "right". A bit of chocolate( some types of chocolate) is fine and sometimes even beneficial, you just have to give very little of it. Paper and aspen shavings work, but they can still be dusty. I used paper bedding before and it was pretty dusty although it worked pretty well. This isn't meant to be rude and I am certainly not an expert, nor will I say what you are saying is necessarily untrue(I'm sure you have plenty of success taking care of your rats), this is just off what I've observed and seen. Srry if this seems to be a know it all kinda post(you probably know more than me anyways), I hope I don't come off as annoying or anything.

skar

bgntoc said:
Certain cat litters imo are fine. I forgot what its called but a lot of people use a certain cat litter and have success with it, you just have to avoid most cat litters(dusty ones, scented stuff like that). You don't need to give them rat food yes, but its a more convenient base diet. Making your own diy diet requires more research and you have to make sure everything is "right". A bit of chocolate( some types of chocolate) is fine and sometimes even beneficial, you just have to give very little of it. Paper and aspen shavings work, but they can still be dusty. I used paper bedding before and it was pretty dusty although it worked pretty well. This isn't meant to be rude and I am certainly not an expert, nor will I say what you are saying is necessarily untrue(I'm sure you have plenty of success taking care of your rats), this is just off what I've observed and seen. Srry if this seems to be a know it all kinda post(you probably know more than me anyways), I hope I don't come off as annoying or anything.
No offense taken, we have different methods for a shared goal.
In my experience feeding them a DIY was simpler and less expensive. I still do this as a convenience to myself.

I believe the cat litter for the self cleaning cat boxes would work well.
However that is not what came to mind when I saw the word "cat litter".

Enjoy

AllThingsPets

In addition to all the things already said, taller cages are better as rats absolutely love climbing and being up high. I recommend buying or making some soft hammocks and putting them at the top of the cage, as they feel safest up high. There are tons of ways to make DIY toys, so use what you’ve got and be creative! Rats love to have tons of things to do, so when You set up your cage try to put things in places where they can climb throughout a lot of the cage. Some easy things to use to fill the cage heightwise are: baskets attached to the wire with twist ties and filled with bedding, hammocks, wooden/rope ladders (a lot of toys for large birds work well for rats!), old hamster running balls with the lid removed and attached to the wire with twist ties so it’s like a little cave, cardboard boxes with holes cut out for the ground, irrigation tubing large enough for them to climb through can be attached to the walls using pipe cleaners to create fun tunnels, empty toilet paper rolls and paper towel roles make for good disposable chew toys, wooden hides are good for both sleeping and chewing, and I’m sure there’s many more. This is just some of the things I’ve made for my rats off of the top of my head. But basically, as long as it is not a toxic or sharp material, you can use pretty much anything to make an exciting environment for your rats. Hope this helps ☺

Pariah

flyinGourami said:
I can't answer for EVERYTHING but I will try to think of almost everything. You need a wire cage; rats have sensitive respitory systems so they need good air flow. Most people will recommend a cage that is 72*36*44 cm, but of course bigger is always better. You will need a bedding of some sort. Fleece is one of the best options. You can also use paper bedding, but I wouldn't recommend it since its not really good for them. I see people who also use cat litters(make sure its safe however). For food, you want a good, commercial rat block as a base. Mixes are usually bad in nutrition and rats will sometimes pick only their favorite things. A good rat food is the Oxbow rat food. A good way to enrich feeding time is to use foraging toys, although you can also use those when you feed treats. Rats should also be supplemented with vegetables and protien(and occasionally fruits and grains, such as pasta). For toys you want some things for them to chew on. For two rats, the minimum in my opinion is to get 3 hides/huts, but always provide other things they can hide in or behind. I would also get climbing toys and hammocks as rats like to hang out at the top so they can look down below. Again, foraging toys are really good. You can also get bridges, ropes and tunnels. Some people will also use litter boxes. I know I am missing a few things out that I can't remember right now lol. Also this isn't really a supply thing but rats are REALLY smart and I would try to take them out for 30-60 minutes at least 5 times a week and let them play outside of their cage. You can also train them for mental enrichment. Again, I know I haven't covered EVERYTHING and I'm sorry but I have bad memory. Hope this helps
I agree except the cat litter. Too dusty. Avoid pine and especially cedar. Aspen would be better. Plenty of recycled products such as Carefresh work, but they are expensive.

As the user stated, rats are highly intelligent (we're talking canine smart, but feline stubborn) and extremely social. Before we had kids we always kept rats. All of our pet rats were litter box trained and if we were home, they had free reign over the house, but they mostly just followed followed us around like a dog. All quickly learned their names and basic commands and countless tricks. You'll be amazed at their problem solving abilities.

Pariah

AllThingsPets said:
In addition to all the things already said, taller cages are better as rats absolutely love climbing and being up high. I recommend buying or making some soft hammocks and putting them at the top of the cage, as they feel safest up high. There are tons of ways to make DIY toys, so use what you’ve got and be creative! Rats love to have tons of things to do, so when You set up your cage try to put things in places where they can climb throughout a lot of the cage. Some easy things to use to fill the cage heightwise are: baskets attached to the wire with twist ties and filled with bedding, hammocks, wooden/rope ladders (a lot of toys for large birds work well for rats!), old hamster running balls with the lid removed and attached to the wire with twist ties so it’s like a little cave, cardboard boxes with holes cut out for the ground, irrigation tubing large enough for them to climb through can be attached to the walls using pipe cleaners to create fun tunnels, empty toilet paper rolls and paper towel roles make for good disposable chew toys, wooden hides are good for both sleeping and chewing, and I’m sure there’s many more. This is just some of the things I’ve made for my rats off of the top of my head. But basically, as long as it is not a toxic or sharp material, you can use pretty much anything to make an exciting environment for your rats. Hope this helps ☺
This is excellent advice as well!

trahana

Choose a cage that is EASY to clean! Trust me, the ease of cleaning is very necessary as you will want to clean it once of twice a week. Rodents get respiratory infections easily and high levels of ammonia will cause this. I build my own cage for my pair of chinchillas and Love the 5-10 minutes it takes to change their liter(news paper + hay) and vacuum the stray poop.
For your first rats I suggest a base food of Rat food(not the kind with seeds) then supplement their diet with leafy greens, treat seeds, dried fruit, and other foods. (most)Rat food is made to provide full nutrition. I have been told that Vitamin C has a high rate of deterioration, so I suggest feeding Kale which is a good source of vitamin C.
Rats a fabulous pets, I have rats when I was a kid and they would follow me around even outside the house(not such a good choice, outside is dangerous).

Never use Cedar, Redwood, Pine that is not Kild dried, White Wood, Douglas Fir as wood for toys. I use Popular wood for chews and houses. the "chewable houses" that pet stores have made of woodfiber and hay isn't to great, they are high is sugar. Buy wood or plastic houses. Wood houses should be cleaned with vinegar or bleach at least once a month or more if needed.

Pariah

Oh, and no citrus fruit for them, especially males.

Latest threads

Top Bottom