What's my algae problem? 20g cycled

Chris1212

Any thoughts on what's going on and what (if anything) I need to do to fix it. I don't necessarily mind how it looks but I don't want it to grow into something bad for the tank. It is a mix of black and dark green, all flat, nothing that looks like hair. Everyone in the tank seems fine and healthy but I am fully stocked so I can't go out and get something specifically to eat thus up.

Weekly water changes, lights on 8 hours a day, good filtration (small sponge and a bigger hob), a good amount of live plants, and I don't think it is an overfeeding problem as I normally just feed them all a little bit once a week.

7 skirt tetras, 5 glowlight tetras, 2 hillstream loaches, 2 honey gourami, 1 krib, 1 mystery snail, 1 peacock gudgeon.

Any thoughts are appreciated

Thanks
You must be registered to see images

devsi

You could try reducing the amount of time your lights are on each day or, if it's really bad, you could turn them off for a couple of days and see if that sorts out enough of it.

More live plants could also help, as they'll compete for the nutrients that the algae need to thrive.

swlock1981

You can also put a blanket or black tablecloth over your tank and completely cover it for a couple days so its completely "blacked" out with no light source and see if that helps. Seachum algae control also works but DO NOT overdose!

Chris1212

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. It's black but doesn't look like the dreaded black beard algae. Just a bit off putting I suppose. I could scrub some of it off some rocks during my next water change, see if that helps.

Blacksheep1

Take one out and scrub it with a toothbrush, you can also pour kettle water over it after. I believe you can not do this with ‘ ocean / holey’ rock as it can explode/ shatter , I may be corrected on that. And obviously don’t do it for anything plastic . I’d do one or two per water change and see how you get on

StanV

Black out tank for a few days with algae remover, reduce light times and reduce feeding for a bit

ruud

Too much fish (poop); (way) too little plants; too much bright lights (only works if you have 70% or more of surface area covered with plants that require this).

Applying chemicals or short intervention only work temporarily and some can do harm as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CrackerboxPalace
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
MasterPython
Replies
Views