What's in your tank?? 10 Gallon Tank 

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well I think my 10 gallon is really close to cycling. I'm hoping it will be done this weekend. If it is, I may put my male orange guppy in there from my 29 gallon because sometimes he bullies my other guppy.

I was wondering:

1) Would neon and/or cardinal tetras be ok with my male guppy in my 10 gallon? Probably 5-7 of them.

2) Could some of you who have 10 gallon community tanks please tell me your stocking list? I may consider leaving the guppies together in the 29 gallon with my angelfish. They are not really aggressive but I can tell that one of them picks on the other from time to time.

I've been doing a lot of research but I'm just having a hard time making my final decision.

Thanks.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions to help you to receive more responses.

I do recommend that Neon Tetras go into a well established tank, several months old.

Hold on for more responses. Keep us posted please.

Ken

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm confused...aren't tetras supposed to be one of the hardiest fish? I keep hearing conflicting information.

angelfish220

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Although the tank isn't set up anymore, my favorite 10 gallon combination I had was
1 honey gourami
5 pygmy cories
6 neons
a host of cherry shrimp.

It was active, and colorful with minimum arguments amongst the residents. There was a tangle of java moss covering a little less than 2/3 of the bottom for the shrimp to retreat to, and a java fern in each corner for the neons and gourami.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
angelfish220 said:
Although the tank isn't set up anymore, my favorite 10 gallon combination I had was
1 honey gourami
5 pygmy cories
6 neons
a host of cherry shrimp.

It was active, and colorful with minimum arguments amongst the residents. There was a tangle of java moss covering a little less than 2/3 of the bottom for the shrimp to retreat to, and a java fern in each corner for the neons and gourami.
Ooh, that sounds wonderful! drool

Neon tetras are really fragile, probably due to overbreeding. They have a better chance in an older tank. Cardinals are somewhat hardier but I've also read they have a better chance in an older tank too.

-Lisa

mcurtissdsu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I really like the little honey gouramis, I think they are very cute! My only concern is that if I put my guppy in there and then add a gourami, a school of 6 neons will put me at overstocked. I don't have to move my orange guppy. I was mainly thinking of doing that because his colors go so perfectly with the decor in my 10 gallon. Maybe I could just make the 10 gallon a tetra tank...

Do you know if gouramis get along ok with angelfish and/or guppies?

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads