What's in YOUR medicine cabinet?

ArnoldoOffermann

Reaction score
I made a quick video explaining some of my fave meds that I always have in stock. What do you think? What's in YOUR cabinet?

Edit: Like an idiot I forgot to mention PraziPro and Furan-2... but I guess that'll be a part 2!

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great video! Currently, I don’t have anything in my medicine cabinet. Gotta make sure I keep up on those water changes!

OP
ArnoldoOffermann

ArnoldoOffermann

Reaction score
TWiG87 said:
Great video! Currently, I don’t have anything in my medicine cabinet. Gotta make sure I keep up on those water changes!
At the very least, Paraguard should be in your possession!

Thanks for watching!

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think it is great you've made this video (you're really good in it : sometimes take a breath hahahaha)

As a sceptical Dutchman I'd like to add my two cents)

I don't exactly understand the use of antibiotics in case of bodyfungus.
They only will work in case of a bacterial issue. Also most antibiotics will mess up the filterbacteria.

Besides of that, as you're mentioning, the over- and misuse (which antibiotic dooes one use for what bacteria) of antibiotics do make bacteria resistant to it. Personally I'd leave the use of antibiotics to a vet or very experienced keepers (excluding myself there) and certainly not to unexperuenced keepers for this reason.

To be honest I am glad antibiotics aren't available here anymore. Not noticing big differences in death fish.

Precaution by clean water, variation in food, natural stuff as leaflitter, understocking etc.... will have a bigger use to me than the use of antibiotics.

I recently read that antibiotics are only buying time for the body to fight the infection. If that is totally true I don't know but makes a bit of sense.

The use of Paraguard aso is a different thing !

OP
ArnoldoOffermann

ArnoldoOffermann

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
I think it is great you've made this video (you're really good in it : sometimes take a breath hahahaha)

As a sceptical Dutchman I'd like to add my two cents)

They only will work in case of a bacterial issue. Also most antibiotics will mess up the filterbacteria.

Besides of that, as you're mentioning, the over- and misuse (which antibiotic dooes one use for what bacteria) of antibiotics do make bacteria resistant to it. Personally I'd leave the use of antibiotics to a vet or very experienced keepers (excluding myself there) and certainly not to unexperuenced keepers for this reason.

To be honest I am glad antibiotics aren't available here anymore. Not noticing big differences in death fish.

Precaution by clean water, variation in food, natural stuff as leaflitter, understocking etc.... will have a bigger use to me than the use of antibiotics.

I recently read that antibiotics are only buying time for the body to fight the infection. If that is totally true I don't know but makes a bit of sense.

I see LIGHT use of antibiotics no different than Neosporin for a cut.

Likewise, some antibiotics are used for fungal infections.But I agree, you have to be VERY careful not to OD your fish AND use Stability to not crash your tank!

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I made a list once:

anti-bacterial:

amoxicillin
azithromycin
ciprofloxacin
doxycycline
kanamycin
lincospectin-spectinomycin
minocycline
oxtetracycline HCl
tiamulin
trimethoprI'm sulfamethoxazole

anti-fungal:

Amphotericin-B
fluconazole
itraconazole
terbinafine

anti-helminthics/anti-protozoals/anti-coccidials:

amprolium
carnidazole
dimetridazole
fenbendazole
metronidazole
moxidectin
ronidazole
praziquantel
quinine sulfate
toltrazuril

This is for birds and fish. Notably absent, erythromycin, one of the most useless antibiotics for fish ever.

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DoubleDutch said:

They only will work in case of a bacterial issue.
It boggles the mind.

DoubleDutch said:

Even though antibiotics revolutionized human medicine they are almost completely ineffective in the hobby. A ban in the US would not have a significant effect on the mortality of pet fish.

DoubleDutch said:

There are bactericidal and bacteriostatic antibiotics (and some are both depending on dosage). I don't think the distinction is particularly important.

Paraguard is glutaraldehyde and malachite green and really no different from any other external parasite treatment containing formaldehyde and MG. Since glutaraldehyde is used as a disinfectant in hospitals and can kill viruses, bacteria, etc., on surfaces, Seachem claims Paraguard can treat viral, bacterial, and parasitic infections.

Well, viral infections aren't superficial so you can forget that. It might have some effect on an external bacterial infections like Columnaris but just about any other treatment would be much more effective and much, much safer.

MG is a good treatment for fungI but I don't know if the dose is correct. I think it's best to use MG alone for fungal infections since the formaldehyde/glutaraldehyde adds unnecessary risk of toxicity and little benefit.

So, when it comes down to it, Paraguard is just another external parasite treatment. Don't use it for anything else.

OP
ArnoldoOffermann

ArnoldoOffermann

Reaction score
AvalancheDave said:
I made a list once:

anti-bacterial:

amoxicillin
azithromycin
ciprofloxacin
doxycycline
kanamycin
lincospectin-spectinomycin
minocycline
oxtetracycline HCl
tiamulin
trimethoprI'm sulfamethoxazole

anti-fungal:

Amphotericin-B
fluconazole
itraconazole
terbinafine

anti-helminthics/anti-protozoals/anti-coccidials:

amprolium
carnidazole
dimetridazole
fenbendazole
metronidazole
moxidectin
ronidazole
praziquantel
quinine sulfate
toltrazuril

This is for birds and fish. Notably absent, erythromycin, one of the most useless antibiotics for fish ever.
Not useless for cyano removal tho. It’s also helped with my bettas... so definitely not useless

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A very informative video. Thanks for sharing.
I've been a fish keeper quite a while and have to admit that the only med in my cabinet is Copper Sulfate. Reluctantly used it six years ago for Oodinium.
Other than the freak Velvet outbreak, a few bouts with Ick and a rare individual fish w/ a bacteria malady, I really haven't experienced any serious fish related medical issues.
Keeping a clean well maintained, appropriately sized tank, selecting healthy fish that are compatible with local water chemistry & current tankmates, are really the only meds neccessary. I would include a good heater for Ick treatment & StressGuard for the more serious nicks & abrasions.
Most diseases are caused by external stressors which weaken and allow fish to become infected. The best medicine is to learn what factors stress out fish and learn to correct or avoid them.

New Threads