What's Happening To This Eba?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Scoob, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

My friend's electric blue acaras mated about 6 months ago maybe, and had a few babies in their 120 gallon tank. It's a planted cycled community tank, and everything was going pretty well for a long time. But around 5 weeks ago one of the babies started losing appetite, becoming listless, and losing color. After about a week of refusing food, she put the baby into a spare 5 gallon QT tank. He's been in there for 4 weeks at least, and he's developed a large bump near his anus as well as getting skinnier from the lack of food. She does water changes on the tank every other day except for weekends with prime, and has tried melafix since she didn't quite know what was happening for about a week before stopping the treatment. Here are the tank parameters she gave me:

Parameters after water change this morning:

Ph 7.2
    Ammonia 0.25-0.5
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrate 0

Here are some pictures of the acara as of today:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    There was a bit of something that was expelled this morning, here's the picture she sent me of that: [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading! Sorry about the wall of text. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

2. KimberlyG

KimberlyGFishlore VIPMember

Is the fish still not eating?

3. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Yes, the fish hasn't eaten in a long time from what I can tell.

4. KimberlyG

I would try an Epsom Salt bath. 1/2 table spoon of dissolved Epsom Salts (No additives like lavender etc.) to 1/2 gallon of water. Place fish in bath for 30 to 60 minutes, twice a day. It is a tonic. It will draw out excess fluids and act as a mild laxative. I'm hoping someone sees your post tonight and can weigh in on internal parasites.

5. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

Okay! Thanks so much! I'll tell her to do that.

6. OP
    OP
    Scoob

ScoobValued MemberMember

She did her first bath today, and it all went pretty well. How long should it take to start visibly working if it does? Thanks!

7. KimberlyG

I would give it two or three times. Make sure she is doing water changes in that quarantine tank. No amount of ammonia is good. Hopefully it will be swimming a little more. This is an odd case.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice