Whats Happening To My Plant Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by snowboardlover97, Jun 30, 2019.

1. snowboardlover97

snowboardlover97New MemberMember

Got this plant awhile back. I don't know much about them besides pet stores like to sell non water plants to people who want water plants (sorry if I was mislead in that topic) I forget what it is but I'm pretty sure when I bought it I was convinced it was a water plant. Not sure if that's what causing it. My plants are dying. At first I just noticed the dying tips and I thought maybe it needed more sunshine (it was in a windowless room) so I moved it in a sunnier room. And when I was taking the dead tips off I noticed it was really weak by the bace? Could it be my container I have it in to sink it ( was trying to breed which is y there is no pebble on the ground) ? The first two pics point out the splits at the base where almost all the leaves seem close to falling off at the base. The rest show the kind and the browning of the leaves and you can also see the white fuzz growing by the bottom too[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

It looks like java fern which is aquatic but you should not bury its rhizome. The dark stem is the rhizome that should be tied or attached with an elastic to a piece of driftwood or decoration.

3. OP
    OP
    snowboardlover97

Awesome thanks!!:)

4. kallililly1973

Did it have the rhizome i was referring to? Is that what you buried in your cup with the gravel?
    Edit: just wanted to add your better off having your tank out of direct sunlight it will promote algae growth in most cases and sometimes will over run your tank quickly. You would be better off putting it back in the windowless room. IMO

5. OP
    OP
    snowboardlover97

Is that it?[​IMG][​IMG]

6. kallililly1973

its a little hard to tell from those pics can u get a shot of the entire plant with the leaves raised up.

7. OP
    OP
    snowboardlover97

Better??[​IMG][​IMG]

8. kallililly1973

Yes. The leaves definitely look like a type of java fern and the roots the leaves are coming out of definitely looks like a rhizome. I would remove some of the completely damaged leaves and keep it in your Arch decoration to see if it will recover. Removing some leaves will help it produce new ones instead of the plant fighting to repair already too far gone leaves.

9. OP
    OP
    snowboardlover97

Sounds good thanks alot!