What's Happening To My Betta

kristenfaith
I got him a year ago from petco. He is supposed to be a delta tail male. He was completely blue and once I added him into his tank his head turned dark blue almost black. Which I read was normal. Well about 2 weeks ago I noticed his tail started looking funky and his head had a small red patch. So I turned his filter off thinking maybe he hurt himself on the intake but no change. And now his entire body has started to turn red. I mean I'll love him anyway I just want to make sure he's okay. I moved him to a small isolated tank with a bare bottom and his tank heater (so the water would stay at 76 and dosed him with aquarium salt and metafix for the recommended time and dose. And it didn't change anything except make the red cover more of his body. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be or if it is normal. This is before it started happening
downloadfile.jpg These are the day before I started treating him
20180313_213138.jpg
20180313_213132.jpg
20180313_213025.jpg These are right now after medication
15216766076471540098390.jpg No flash
15216768117771391989080.jpg I just fed him blood worms. He won't eat anything else. Never has. He's spoiled! And yes his tank needs to be cleaned.which is what I will be doing as soon as I finish this post. I'm trying to wait until I find out what is happening so I can fix it before putting him in the qt tank again. Because it really stressed him out. Thank you!!

75g Discus Tank
His fins look a bit raggedy.

Any sharp decor?
Any tail biting incidents?

The colors could just be a color change. It is pretty common from what I've heard.

For the diet, I recommend soaking the bloodworms in some sort of vitamin formula like VitaChemi.
This ensures that the betta will get some nutrition.

Also, try soaking pellets in garlic juice or garlicy water.

CanadianFishFan
he looks fine stop the Melafix! Its dangerous for bettas be cause it damages their labyrinthine organs. He is just marbleing (changing colors)

kristenfaith
All the decor is very smooth. I checked to make sure nothing could do it and he's alone in the tank now. I had a female guppy that was being picked on in my 20 gallon tank cause she swam weird and I just took her out because I though she may have bit him but she was very friendly with him. So I can't confirm that she did it or not.

75g Discus Tank
Could he be biting his tail?

What does the filter intake look like?

kristenfaith
Thank you. I only dosed one time with the melafix and a tiny amount because I was scared. Just wanted to help my baby out.

CanadianFishFan
Thank you. I only dosed one time with the melafix and a tiny amount because I was scared. Just wanted to help my baby out.
Ok he should be fine

mattgirl
Most of the time the very best thing one can do to get and keep a Betta healthy is pristine water even if that means a water change every single day. Most of the time daily isn't necessary but I think you know what I am saying. I would be doing them at least every 3 days until he is feeling better.

I don't think a steady diet of bloodworms is best for him either. He really needs more of a variety. You may want to fast him for a day or two. He may be more receptive to other foods if he is actually hungry.

I don't think the color change is of great concern. It happens to a lot of them as they age so am not convinced that medication is necessary..

kristenfaith

1521678187901-1801431665.jpg I spend a lot of time with all of my fish. I can get sapphire to sit in my hand. I also have three other betta that are perfectly fine that's why I was so worried. They are my babies

kristenfaith
I change his water three times a week. When I was doing the medication I changed it everyday. And I just put him back into his tank this morning and he pooed everywhere so I gotta clean it again. And now I gotta change his name cause sapphire doesn't really fit anymore. Lol thank you again guys. Would y'll like to see my other bettas??

75g Discus Tank
That intake could shred fins.
What filter is it?

Yeah! I want to see your other bettas!

mattgirl
Absolutely!!!! I love seeing family photos

I really hope this little guy heals up soon. It sounds like he is getting the best care possible.

kristenfaith
It' the one that came with the tank I'm upgrading it soon so I'll go with a smaller intake so maybe his fins will stop being all chopped thank you.

75g Discus Tank
It's better to get an intake sponge for the filter.

They are fairly cheap online and can be beneficial by allowing for more BB space, giving mechanical filtration, and preventing fin shreddings.

CanadianJoeh
Melafix doesn't help. Neither does aquarium salt.

kristenfaith
This is my boy blue. He was just a baby when I got him and barley had a tail. He is metallc blue with red fins
20180321_200933.jpgDixie. She's blue with a green tail.
20180321_200248.jpgthis is rebel. He is green blue and purple.
20180321_200156.jpgand this is bubbles. She's my sisters betta and she's in a community tank you can see our baby guppies in the back
20180321_195024.jpg

FishLoverEmma0
I got him a year ago from petco. He is supposed to be a delta tail male. He was completely blue and once I added him into his tank his head turned dark blue almost black. Which I read was normal. Well about 2 weeks ago I noticed his tail started looking funky and his head had a small red patch. So I turned his filter off thinking maybe he hurt himself on the intake but no change. And now his entire body has started to turn red. I mean I'll love him anyway I just want to make sure he's okay. I moved him to a small isolated tank with a bare bottom and his tank heater (so the water would stay at 76 and dosed him with aquarium salt and metafix for the recommended time and dose. And it didn't change anything except make the red cover more of his body. Anyone have any ideas on what this could be or if it is normal. This is before it started happening View attachment 421432 These are the day before I started treating him View attachment 421433 View attachment 421434 View attachment 421453 These are right now after medication View attachment 421454 No flash View attachment 421455 I just fed him blood worms. He won't eat anything else. Never has. He's spoiled! And yes his tank needs to be cleaned.which is what I will be doing as soon as I finish this post. I'm trying to wait until I find out what is happening so I can fix it before putting him in the qt tank again. Because it really stressed him out. Thank you!!
Okay... Woah... Your betta... Went from this to this in what.... A matter of days? Hours? Weeks? This almost seems impossible...
tapatalk_1526187022549.jpeg
tapatalk_1526187035437.jpeg

kristenfaith
Okay... Woah... Your betta... Went from this to this in what.... A matter of days? Hours? Weeks? This almost seems impossible...View attachment 437830View attachment 437831
I know. People even thought I was joking saying he wasn't the same fish and all this and that. It took about two weeks for the small red dot on his head to spread enough for me to really see it. Once I made the post it seemed like his color changed more everyday and then stopped. To heal his tail fins I covered the intake on the filter. Did daily water changes and his tail completely healed. But he still looked funky. He still looked the same except his tail was full and fluffy like it was when I got him. It took him almost 2 months to completly change colors from head to tail. When it only took him about 3 weeks to regrow his tail. Would you like to see him now?

kristenfaith
And the thing with his tail it did happen over night.

kristenfaith

20180615_235532.jpeg
20180615_235553.jpeg
20180615_235725.jpeg
20180615_235751.png
20180616_000058.png
20180616_000158.png

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
finnipper59
Replies