Help What’s gone wrong with my Betta?

LadfromLondon

Well Known
Reaction score
Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 5.5G

How long has the tank been running? 6 weeks, he was in a 10G previously since May. Both set ups had the same HOB running.

Does it have a filter? Yes 180L P/H sponge w/ additional 180L P/H air stone

Does it have a heater? Yes 100W

What is the water temperature? 29-30C-Day 1 of Ich treatment

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 Betta, 4 RCS, 1 Nerite Snail

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? Bi-weekly

How much of the water do you change? 25%

What do you use to treat your water? Remineralised RO Water so N/A

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes

What do you use to test the water? API Master

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:5-10PPM
pH:

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 1x a day

How much do you feed your fish? Depending on the day: 6 pellets, 3 freeze dried bloodworms, pinch of freeze dried daphnia now and then, trying to get him to eat freeze dried shrimp

What brand of food do you feed your fish? Herons, Hikari

Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Freeze dried

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Almost 3 months

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Ich-Yesterday, hole in his tail today

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
He’s behaving fine, eating well and spreading his fins

Have you started any treatment for the illness? Temp increase to 30C, added IALS

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Hole in tail, ich (I think) in his everything else normal

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now

I think I cross contaminated from an ich-filled tank to my Betta tank which explains the ich.

I changed his substrate last week and during this time, he jumped out of the bucket. I put him into the tank and he has seemed fine since, eating/behaving normally.

I have noticed a hole in his tail just now, and I’m unsure whether this is serious or not. I am aware I flared him for longer than usual yesterday, but I fear my tank is also going through a mini cycle.

^ I removed a HOB out of this tank and replaced with the sponge filter. Both were running together for almost 4 weeks before HOB removal. I’ll be testing water as you’re reading this.

The first picture shows what I think was the first signs of ich yesterday, and the second picture is of the hole in his tail. Sorry for the bad quality he flares at the camera so I tried to avoid that.
1C4FA166-04DE-4B39-97A1-823285ABBB12.jpeg
BC5FB6D6-5203-446E-9A08-7ED166D2FBD5.jpeg
update: The tank is still cycled so I’ve counted that out

Best Answer - View e_watson09's answer

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My guess with the hole is he was probably rubbing on a decoration as ich makes them itchy and snagged it.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
e_watson09 said:
My guess with the hole is he was probably rubbing on a decoration as ich makes them itchy and snagged it.
I agree, fish are itchy so they are just rubbing against the items, then maybe something pierced the top of the head.

New Threads