What's going on?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by Dom90, Jul 18, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Is it just brown/black algae?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437276056.674766.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Looks like algae to me... :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. sarahyannetta

sarahyannetta New Member Member

I had the same sort of algae growing on the plants and glass in my tanks for the first couple of months after cycling. At first I bought a little magnetic scrubber and removed the algae from the glass by hand, then decided to buy two horned nerite snails. They stay small and eat like crazy. Two of them plus a handful of shrimp have taken care of my algae problem with ease in my 55g tank

4. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Well I have six Siamese Algae Eaters for algae control, maybe they need to do a better job!

5. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

They want a raise!

6. sarahyannetta

How big are they? Perhaps they're too heavy to enjoy a nice relaxing meal on those tiny leaves and just find stuff to munch on elsewhere lol

7. OP
    OP
    Dom90

Hahaha yea, they're probably on strike...

Just got them about three weeks ago and they're probably about 3-4"?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  8. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Ooh, my local fish store has fish that are just labeled as "algae eaters" and I always wonder what they are.. I wonder if they're what you have?

It seems to me I can't have any types of algae eaters at this time as all the stores around me have is plecos (grow too large) and mystery snails (also too large).. what's a girl to do.. lol

9. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

Definitely algae. How long are the lights on for?

10. sarahyannetta

Also how new are the plants? And have you seen them grow? If they're growing strong they should be taking most of the nutrients away from the algae to stop it from growing so much

Lots of stores will order things for you if they don't normally stock them

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2015
  11. OP
    OP
    Dom90

So many questions... Be careful of what you buy... Some of the Chinese Algae Eaters are falsely advertised and sold as Siamese Algae Eaters. These CAEs don't eat algae when they get older and are territorial and aggressive...
    BDpups about 10 hours a day, I'm guessing it's too much?

12. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

I think I had my lights on for 6-8 hours a day on my planted tank.

13. BDpups

Possibly. I have mine on for 8 hours, with a 2 hour burst toward the end of the photo period. Reducing the lights is the first thing I do if algae becomes an issue.

14. OP
    OP
    Dom90

The plants are fairly new, they were growing strong at first but you're right, the algae is probably starting to take over...

I need to cut down the light time. I usually do 5 hours on, 5 hours off and then 5 hours on again.

15. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like Black Beard Algae to me starting on older leaves. I see new growth, so I would cut those older leaves off as they are unhealthy. This will allow the plant to put energy into growing new leaves.

16. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I thought as much about the BBA. But I'm surprised my SAEs haven't gone to work on those. Have I spoiled them by feeding them community pellets or algae wafers? :/
    What do you think about the number of hours my light has been on each day?

17. BDpups

I can't remember do you inject CO2?

18. sarahyannetta

If you think they're too well fed to pay attention to the algae you could always fast them for a day or even just a single meal to see how their behavior changes. I agree with alyeska about snipping the damaged leaves though. Could help boost new growth which would of course overpower some algae growth

19. OP
    OP
    Dom90

I usually fast my fishies on Mondays so we'll see what happens tomorrow. But thanks for the advice, I'll cut the leaves with algae on them. BDpups, I don't inject CO2, but I'd like to at some point. Need to save money after getting the 40B and all those juvie cichlids :)

@AlyeskaGirl, should I spot treat the BBA with Excel, would that do anything?
    @BDpups, I was turning the light on for a total of ten hours a day because I was under the impression that when the lights are off, plants take in oxygen and give off CO2. So I didnt want to suffocate my fish because of this. But I had terrible consequences in the form of BBA so what can I do to increase oxygen in the tank? lol

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2015
  20. sarahyannetta

I don't use excel or any products like that, but from what I know its just a fertilizer. I wouldn't spot treat the algae, but I'm sure if you do as alyeska says regarding snipping the infested leaves and then dosing the tank with excel, it should give the plants an extra boost for new growth

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice