Whats going on with ome of my blue dream shrimp?

Clayaquatics
Just noticed a shrimp on its side barely moving accept for slight movement in front legs and the occasional twitch of its pleopods. Hasn't been down for any longer than an hour the last time I checked.
Tank is 10 gallons no heater fliter is a generic hang on back with bioballs and fine sponge and coarse sponge
Tank parameters are 305ppm, ph is 7.6, ammonia is at 0 along with nitrite and nitrates are at around 2 or 3
Temp is 72°F

marmaaa
Clayaquatics said:
Just noticed a shrimp on its side barely moving accept for slight movement in front legs and the occasional twitch of its pleopods. Hasn't been down for any longer than an hour the last time I checked.
Tank is 10 gallons no heater fliter is a generic hang on back with bioballs and fine sponge and coarse sponge
Tank parameters are 305ppm, ph is 7.6, ammonia is at 0 along with nitrite and nitrates are at around 2 or 3
Temp is 72°F
what is the 305ppm? Also when did you add them?

Clayaquatics
That was TDS. The gh is at 200ppm while kh is around 60ppm. They were added about a month and a half ago

marmaaa
Clayaquatics said:
That was TDS. The gh is at 200ppm while kh is around 60ppm. They were added about a month and a half ago
ahh okay. have you done a water change? has the temperature in the tank fluctuated, im asking especially since you dont have a heater?

Clayaquatics
marmaaa said:
ahh okay. have you done a water change? has the temperature in the tank fluctuated, im asking especially since you dont have a heater?
No water change except for top off from my ro/di on Sunday which was only about a quarter of a gallon, it will technically be due for one in about a week and a half from now if I'm following my every month water change for this tank. Temp stays at 72 no heater, room barely if ever fluctuates 1 to 2 degrees. This is my first ever shrimp tank btw

marmaaa
Clayaquatics said:
No water change except for top off from my ro/di on Sunday which was only about a quarter of a gallon, it will technically be due for one in about a week and a half from now if I'm following my every month water change for this tank. Temp stays at 72 no heater, room barely if ever fluctuates 1 to 2 degrees. This is my first ever shrimp tank btw
Hm weird. The shrimp does look like a female adult. Could it have been age? Possibly. Are the rest of your shrimp doing alright?

Clayaquatics
I did just test my ro/di and it is still good and the de ionization cartridge hasn't changed, I replaced it about 2 weeks ago I don't believe it was my top off.
marmaaa said:
Hm weird. The shrimp does look like a female adult. Could it have been age? Possibly. Are the rest of your shrimp doing alright?
Ya rest of the shrimp are doing fine, molts look perfect and the barrier ones are doing fine. I hope it's like you said maybe I just got an old shrimp. Since I'm new to this whole shrimp thing I just wanna make sure theres not something wrong that I'm not seeing or I'm doing.

marmaaa
Clayaquatics said:
I did just test my ro/di and it is still good and the de ionization cartridge hasn't changed, I replaced it about 2 weeks ago I don't believe it was my top off.

Ya rest of the shrimp are doing fine, molts look perfect and the barrier ones are doing fine. I hope it's like you said maybe I just got an old shrimp. Since I'm new to this whole shrimp thing I just wanna make sure theres not something wrong that I'm not seeing or I'm doing.
You got a lid on the tank right? Honestly this just seems like age to me, the shrimp looks pretty mature and if the rest look fine then I wouldnt worry. But someone else may say something else.

Clayaquatics
marmaaa said:
You got a lid on the tank right? Honestly this just seems like age to me, the shrimp looks pretty mature and if the rest look fine then I wouldnt worry. But someone else may say something else.
yes it has a lid but about a little less then a quarter is uncovered. thank you a ton i hope its just old age aswell. never been as nervous like this before lol. fish i know but this shrimp thing is a whole different ball game for me

marmaaa
Clayaquatics said:
yes it has a lid but about a little less then a quarter is uncovered. thank you a ton i hope its just old age aswell. never been as nervous like this before lol. fish i know but this shrimp thing is a whole different ball game for me
no problem! I remember when I first saw my dead shrimp, shes was one of the first ones I got and I had he for some time. I just think its age especially since you probably got them older anyways since you got them a month ago.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom