What's going on with my Rummynose Tetras?

Schadenfreude
So I just moved over from the 40 gallon to a 125g tank yesterday. Most of the fish seemed totally ok with the process and not terribly stressed out. This morning I woke up and my Rummynose tetras have lost almost all the color in their faces. When I put them in the tank yesterday the red was normal and they looked totally fine for several hours after the move. This morning, though, they have no color left.
I tested the tank and I got: Ammonia: 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 10ppm and PH is 7.6 for info. Temp has held at a constant 78. I moved all the old décor, filters, gravel, etc. so I know there will be some adjustment period for the larger tank but I would think that wouldn't become an issue until a bit later, if at all.
Is there too much space maybe? The 40 gallon was decently planted and obviously its a lot more spread out now. There's also more water movement in this tank with the powerhead and canister filter output. Not sure how much effect either of those would have but I'm just trying to think of what else it could be.
All the other fish seem totally normal and fine, but the Rummynose have the most obvious way of telling if something is wrong so maybe all the other fish are stressed too and it's just not obvious.

Christo101
It's most probably caused by stress or not properly acclimated

Schadenfreude
That's what is confusing me though because they were normally colored for a good five hours after moving them into the new tank and were only pale this morning when I turned the tank lights on. They are back to normal color again now so not sure what the deal was.

Christo101
The same happened to my zebra danios when I moved them to my breeder tank,they were fine the one moment and the next moment they lost all their color and looked like they were about to die,then I just moved them back to my main tank and they were completely fine

Coradee
Some fish can lose their colour at night, could be a defence strategy, it usually comes back once the lights have been on for a bit

Schadenfreude
Coradee said:
Some fish can lose their colour at night, could be a defence strategy, it usually comes back once the lights have been on for a bit
I was wondering if maybe this was the case, especially since it was dark in the room when I turned their lights on and they seemed normally colored after an hour or so. I'll have to check tomorrow morning to see if they look washed out. Maybe I'll wait until it's later in the morning to blast them with the lights.

jon2far
My rummies lose color when I do a major water change,but returns within hours... discus tanks stock them to help indicate water quality...no red no good.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom