What's going on? Please help!

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So I noticed my male guppy floating close to the bottom. His left eye looks like it's going to pop out and he has a huge chest area, almost like he's fat in the front. I put in Melafix because it says it treats Pop Eye.

However, on even closer inspection, there are little threadlike white worms wiggling around in there! They couldn't be any longer than a grain of rice... what do I do? What are they?

Thanks! D:

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think so. They look like little white threads. I assume you're talking about the worms with the two eyespots, right?

I feed a pinch of crushed flake and usually half an algae wafer once before bedtime, except for the fry in the breeder box in there, which I feed Baby Bites twice a day. I don't know my parameters, but I'll try getting to the pet store when they open because they do free water testing.

Once a week, about 15-20%? Water changes can be a little late sometimes, admittedly (I'm going to start marking the days I do them so I don't forget when I did them)... I should do one now, right? How much water would you change?

My fish have been acting weird this week. My panda spawned, my guppy is sick, and my loaches swim out in the open more often. One is full of eggs, I might add...

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what it is, but I would have gotten the fish out of the tank yesterday.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't understand. Where would I have put him? Why yesterday? I only noticed the eye and the worms this morning...

I don't know what to do, so I'm going to go do a massive water change. Like, 75%?

Yay or nay?

I'm so lost. D:

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fish'd said:
I don't understand. Where would I have put him? Why yesterday? I only noticed the eye and the worms this morning...
I meant yesterday as in immediately

I would put it in a quarantine tank so that the other fish are safe. If you don't have QT, I would dispose of the fish. I don't mean to be insensitive, but there's no way I would risk the health of my other fish for the sake of one.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Oh, you had me confused, lol.

I guess. D:
Though, how would I deal with the worms? Aren't all of my fish going to get sick anyway? Do you think he has something far worse?

I don't mean to ask so many questions, but I'd hate to have to put him down and all of them just fall ill.

Once all of my fry grow up, I may use the 3 gallon as a q tank, but until then, I'm out of luck there.

By the way, I totally appreciate the help from everyone. <3

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know what it is you are dealing with, but seperating sick fish is very important to maintaining the overall health of the tank. Whether the other fish will live or not I don't know, but I think their chances of survival are much greater without the infected fish in the tank.....especially because you don't know what it is and don't know how to treat it.

All you can do is what you feel is best for the tank as a whole. If the whole tank follows suit, then that's the way it goes. But at least you did something proactive to stop it.

Fish'd

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is what he looks like right now, essentially. He looks rather normal to me from the top (minus his pop eye), it's just his side view. He almost looks like a triangle.
2.png

It seems people have bad luck with bloated guppies; they either die or the owner puts them down...

I'm thinking columnaris or maybe dropsy. His scales aren't puffed and he's not round all the way through, but he's shaped like this...

I'll probably have to put him down, just in case. After that, it's a massive water change and perhaps a fish autopsy? I've heard of people doing that. It might help me figure out what's going on. D:

I don't know where the worms are coming from, and he's the only one obviously sick. I also saw a red poop coming from him, though I never saw if it was actually poop... it disappeared.

Such a ridiculously hard decision... would you still do it?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom