What's Going On Please Help

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This morning I woke up seeing my Betta fish eye like this .. Yesterday even until last night before I went to bed his left eye was not like this ..
Can anyone diagnose this for me and give me suggestions and or treatment methods please .. Thank you ..
P.S I removed him from my 5 gallon tank and placed him in a 1 gallon tank and yes he is still eating. I cycle his water every week, I also acclimate the water and condition the water a week in advance with the aquarium salt, and prime .
WP_20200407_11_57_07_Pro.jpg

Attachments

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What are your water parameters and what do you mean by "cycle every week "? You should only cycle the tank once and that's before adding any fish. What extra are you doing to re cycle the tank?..

He looks like he has Popeye and some bad finrot. Water changes help both along with Indian Almond leaves and Roobios Tea. You can do epsom salt baths to help treat Popeye and reduce the swelling

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We'll need some tank parameter numbers to help. and as asked above, what do you mean when you say you cycle your tank every week? Do you mean you do water changes every week? If so that is not the same thing as cycling a tank, which you only do once. When you first set up your tank. You cycle a tank when you first set it up and that process takes minimum 3 weeks usually.

Do you have a filter and heater on the tank?

I've noticed that when many beginners run into a fish emergency they take the fish out of the tank and put them in a container or something. This is not necessary and only worsens the problem. It causes a lot of unnecessary stress on the fish which usually makes an already sick fish much more sick. It's better to do large water changes on the tank the fish is already in opposed to moving it to a container of new water.

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
What are your water parameters and what do you mean by "cycle every week "? You should only cycle the tank once and that's before adding any fish. What extra are you doing to re cycle the tank?..

He looks like he has Popeye and some bad finrot. Water changes help both along with Indian Almond leaves and Roobios Tea. You can do epsom salt baths to help treat Popeye and reduce the swelling
Blueberrybetta said:
Tank parameters?
I do have him in a 5 x 12 one gallon hang on separation box to the 5 gallon tank ... My 5 gallon tank is 16 x 24 ..

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
RichTino said:
I do have him in a 5 x 12 one gallon hang on separation box to the 5 gallon tank ... My 5 gallon tank is 16 x 24 ..
Okay but again,, i need the water parameters..

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
toeknee said:
We'll need some tank parameter numbers to help. and as asked above, what do you mean when you say you cycle your tank every week? Do you mean you do water changes every week? If so that is not the same thing as cycling a tank, which you only do once. When you first set up your tank. You cycle a tank when you first set it up and that process takes minimum 3 weeks usually.

I've noticed that when many beginners run into a fish emergency they take the fish out of the tank and put them in a container or something. This is not necessary and only worsens the problem. It causes a lot of unnecessary stress on the fish which usually makes an already sick fish much more sick. It's better to do large water changes on the tank the fish is already in opposed to moving it to a container of new water.
I meant to say water changes sorry. I change his tank water once a week about 40% water changes every week and a complete water change every 4 weeks.

toeknee

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
By tank parameters we mean we need the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate numbers. Which is what is entailed in a "cycle" If you are not familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle I suggest you read up on it as it's crucially important to having a successful tank. We can't help until we atleast know the parameters, if the tank is actually cycled etc.... Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
RichTino said:
I meant to say water changes sorry. I change his tank water once a week about 40% water changes every week and a complete water change every 4 weeks.
Just tell us if you have the API testing kit or not so we can get that out of the way...

RichTino said:
You never need to do a complete water change. Do you mean 100% wc? Thats not necessary and add very very unnecessary stress to fish. I would stop doing that

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Okay but again,, i need the water parameters..
the water is at 79 degrees Fahrenheit, pH is 6.8 nitrates are 0.2, water visibility is at 98% and oxygen levels are unknown to me right now.

Blueberrybetta said:
You never need to do a complete water change. Do you mean 100% wc? that's not necessary and add very very unnecessary stress to fish. I would stop doing that
No I don't do 100% water changes every week. Only every 4 weeks.

Blueberrybetta said:
Just tell us if you have the API testing kit or not so we can get that out of the way...
The last time I used it was 3 weeks ago right after I did a complete 100% water change. I don't think I would need it if I am only doing partial water changes of 40% once a week.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Okay whats your Ammonia and nitrite levels ? Do you use a water conditioner like Prime when adding water back? I would stop with the 100% water chnages as there's legit no need at all, just wasted time on your part and very unnecessary stress added to the fish . Fish shouldnt be taken out of the tank unless being medicated

RichTino said:
The last time I used it was 3 weeks ago right after I did a complete 100% water change. I don't think I would need it if I am only doing partial water changes of 40% once a week.
Its best to test because your Nitrates dont seem right at 0.2. Thats extremely low. Did you cycle his tank beforehand? I need to know if you have any nitrites or ammonia to get an idea for what to do next

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
toeknee said:
By tank parameters we mean we need the Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate numbers. Which is what is entailed in a "cycle" If you are not familiar with the Nitrogen Cycle I suggest you read up on it as it's crucially important to having a successful tank. We can't help until we atleast know the parameters, if the tank is actually cycled etc.... Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
I can say I focus more on the nitrate than the nitrites and ammonia levels which is a bad thing. I just try not to have the water levels spike to have the ammonia and the nitrites are to mean a little less worrying to me which is wrong but I would do that for now and monitor them all.

mrsP

Reaction score
RichTino said:
No I don't do 100% water changes every week. Only every 4 weeks.
You don't need to do 100% wc unless some extremely rare reasons. Usually with cycled tank you need (depending on stocking levels) 10-40% wc. If you're doing fish in cycle, I would do daily wc.

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Okay what's your Ammonia and nitrite levels ? Do you use a water conditioner like Prime when adding water back? I would stop with the 100% water chnages as there's legit no need at all, just wasted time on your part and very unnecessary stress added to the fish . Fish shouldnt be taken out of the tank unless being medicated
Yes I do use prime and aquarium salts in my water preparations. I prepare a 5 gallon jug or water 3 days before I do a complete water change and a 40% water change I prepare 2 gallons of water 4 days in advance ...

toeknee said:

Yes I have a heater in the tank that is set at 79 degrees I had a filter in the tank but seeing that he always tend to move near the submerged filter for some weird reason I take it out and only put it in for 24 hrs of the day I do the 100% water change. Sorry about the cycle part in which I meant water changes. I have about 6 bettas and about 167 betta fry in a 20 gallon tank ...

Blueberrybetta said:
Okay what's your Ammonia and nitrite levels ? Do you use a water conditioner like Prime when adding water back? I would stop with the 100% water chnages as there's legit no need at all, just wasted time on your part and very unnecessary stress added to the fish . Fish shouldnt be taken out of the tank unless being medicated

Its best to test because your Nitrates dont seem right at 0.2. that's extremely low. Did you cycle his tank beforehand? I need to know if you have any nitrites or ammonia to get an idea for what to do next
Still I need answers on what to do with his condition .. Any suggestions ?

Blueberrybetta said:

No he doesn't have any fin rot at all. He is actually healing from mating him with my crowntail female .. What I'm baffled over is how his eye looks now when it wasn't like that yesterday .

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I can think of is ammonia burns that may happen overnight or a injury

OP
RichTino

RichTino

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
StarGirl15 said:
The only thing I can think of is ammonia burns that may happen overnight or a injury
I'm going to soak him in some Epsom salt right now .. I was told by my vet to do so and use water that is already conditioned with Prime and Aquarium Slat I was told to do that for at least 2 weeks ... Wish me luck ..

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom