What's currently in YOUR filter? Question 

JustMe

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What media do you currently have in your filter? Just thought I'd ask to see what's popular right now. ;D

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
i have sponges and biomax in mine.....and one has a filter pad, that i cut the carbon out of.

JustinF

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year

phishyitis

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sponges and biomax

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have the regular ol' pouch with carbon inside inserts in 2 filters, a pantyhose leg filled with carbon in one, sponges, carbon and biomax in two, quilting batting in one, and a sponge/carbon combo cartidges that work like sponge filters in one, and all almost all of them have sponges around the intake tubes. I'll be adding quilting batting to all my filters in the next few days.

-Lisa

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sponges, ceramic noodles, activated carbon and filter wool

TFA101

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The typical changeable cartridges with activated carbon, and the not so common pantyhose with crushed shells. Also some sponges for extra biological filtration in all aquarium filters should any one tank's cycle crash Never hurts to be well prepared

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The outside part of a canister filters basket cut in half (one half for each side of my hob) and regular pouches with carbon in my other two

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have bio-substrate, bio-noodles, and sponges. The filter came with an activated carbon pad but I removed it.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

In my filters I have high loft batting material (used as filter floss), brick sponges, activated carbon, carbon pads, blue bio balls, biomax tubes, micron (50) filter pads, a small amount of White Diamond ammonia neutralizing crystals (in my 265g tank only). Oh, and my thermometers are also in my filters.

Ken

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My AquaClears are usually set up as follows:

- Blue-bonded pad or filter floss on the very bottom
- Brick sponge on top of pad or Floss
- Topping it off is usually two biomax inserts

I have one Aqua-Tech 5-15. For mechanical media I use either blue-bonded filter pad or filter floss ... either being held in place by rubber bands on a stripped cartridge shell. The bio-media is a piece of a Hydro Sponge Pro (sponge filter) that I cut to fit the bio-holster.

With Aqueon filters I'll usually add an AquaClear biomax insert or additional sponge of some sort ... and sometimes use blue-bonded filter pad in place of the cartridge. The bio-grid slots that hold the cartridge also do a good job of holding the blue-bonded pad in place.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my HOBs, I have the filter pad (Carbon cut out) covered in yummy bacteria, also they have a plastic rectangle in front of the pad that also gives bacteria a surface to collect on. These also have extra sponges here there and everywhere (cause you never know)!

In my betta tanks, a small internal filter with just a sponge in it, I have a sponge filter in my fry tank too - run by an airline.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In my cannisters I have Eheim EHFIpro substrat, and in my aquaclears I have the ceramic rings that come with the filters plus a sponge. I have also run with two sponges and no ceramics and that seems to work just fabulous too.

I sometimes put some floss on top of my AquaClear media "stack" as a final small-particle-remover.

W

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Blue batting, Blue Bio balls, a polishing sponge Poly filter.
2 X HOB sponge and ceramics
Eheim has ceramics and Carbon.

striker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my hang on back aqua clear filter I have 2 sponges and that is it.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
all mine have active carbon, quilting backing (comes in sheets that you cut out to size) pillow stuffing (for tons of always on hand established media)

man5onite

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hmm, I just use the sponges I got with my Eheim Aquaball.
Isn't that good enough...

FredBjammin

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pouches with carbon inserts and sponges, plus half dozen baby snails (doesn't really count as media).

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a homemade Hamberg Matten filter of Poret foam in my 55 gallon. All other filters have been removed.
I also have sponge filters running in each of my 4 other tanks.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I use bionoodles (lots of them) and a standard filter pad. I have a zeolite pad on standby though ( never had to use it). My hob filter houses these for a 10 gallon and i haven't had a fish die in 11months. No ammonia spikes in 10months... Very happy.

Just pack in as much biological filteration media as you can, wait two weeks and see the difference.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads