What's best for African Dwarf Frog?

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have an African Dwarf in a 3.5 gallon heavily planted tank. His only tankmate is a tiger Nerite snail. He's doing so well, I'm afraid to add anything else. If I did add another frog, I'd want a blonde one but nobody has them right now.

Anyway, here's my question. I am feeding him a rotation of frozen bloodworms one day, Frozen Mysis shrimp the next day, and frozen beef heart on the third day. Then he has a fasting day before the rotation restarts. He eagerly eats all 3 and I know they are all good for him but I just want opinions on which one is the most nutritious. My thought is that it's the beefheart. I also drop in a few micro pellets of HikarI tropical fish food once in a while and he eats them too.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I thought the beef heart was the one to be fed the least actually. Could be wrong but it’s a very rich and heavy food for complete sustenance.

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
Both beefheart and bloodworms should be fed in moderation. I'd say the mysis shrimp should be the main staple here.

OP
Dch48

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PascalKrypt said:
Both beefheart and bloodworms should be fed in moderation. I'd say the mysis shrimp should be the main staple here.
So, beefheart and bloodworms once a week each? Mysis the rest of the time? Would a fasting day also be good? Maybe after the beefheart?

Maybe something like this;
Monday--mysis
Tuesday--mysis
Wednesday--bloodworms
Thursday--mysis
Friday--mysis
Saturday--beefheart
Sunday--fasting

I have read in other areas that some people feed nothing but the bloodworms, and a couple of people use live blackworms. I just thought a variety of food would be better

PascalKrypt

Well Known
Reaction score
ADFs should not be fed daily - this is a common mistake. They have a special kind of biorhythm different from mammals and fish. Feeding every other day or feeding 4 days a week is best. I'd say the very minimum of fasting days is twice a week.

I know some people feed only bloodworms. But then ADFs have a pretty long natural lifespan if you give them the best are, and the above and aforementioned advice is based on people who've had their frogs live 5+ years. I'm not sure if the people who feed bloodworms daily can say that.

I feed my frogs sparingly (3-4 fasting days a week) and I've had them a year. It works just fine.

Here is an excellent website written by a knowledgeable keeper who feeds his frogs only 3 days a week. He gives a lot of detailed info with explanations, you may want to give it a read:

Sunflower

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I 100% agree with PascalKrypt . Feed more food less often. :) They work a lot differently than fish, it's similar to how snakes eat like once every two weeks (or however often it is that they eat). I fill my little guy up until he is nice and plump, always right before I turn the lights off because that's when he is most active. Then I wait for his body to become flat again (it usually takes a few days), and that's how I know he is ready for another meal because I know that's when he has pooped. He is super healthy, active, and sings every. single. night. He really wants a lady friend. It can get kind of annoying, but he is happy, so I'm happy.

It's more of a "feed them when their body is ready for food" thing in my opinion, rather than a set amount of days per week.

That being said, it depends on the age of the frog. How long have you had him? If he is still a juvenile, then he can eat more often (every other day) because his body would still be growing. Same thing goes for if he is super skinny.

If he is a full grown adult frog of healthy weight, then I'd just feed each food in rotations (feed one food, wait til he has pooped, feed the next food... etc)

In my opinion, when speaking of feeding fish (and in this case ADFs), everyone always says a certain amount of days you should feed your fish, but every fish/frog is different, so it really just depends. The best advice I can give is to watch your frog's body shape and feed him when his body is ready for food. :)

New Threads