Whats best/appropriate for cleaning these hang ons?

2absolute2purity2

I have the Penn-Plax- Cascade 300, and a Top Fin PF75, hang on back filters for a 75 gal freshwater w only 1 fish.
1 Full grown comet goldfish thats 10 inches long. Since my kind of goldfish is large and produces more waste,
how often do i clean them? How do you recommend cleaning them? want to survey to see whats most common and also new ideas that i might've not thought of.
Also is it just recommended to clean by rising in old tank water or de-chlorinated water?
Are you supposed to replace cartridges every 2 weeks with brand new ones also? or do u think it loses bacteria too quick?

carsonsgjs

I’m generally led by the stocking of the tank, but aim to clean filters once a month. It will vary from tank to tank and type of filter though.

Cleaning the media in old tank water is fine, and never replace the media like the manufacturer tells you to do! Filter floss is the exception to that but sponges and biomedia lasts for years.

jtjgg

I keep comet goldfish, I would say you could do a 50% water change every other week.

Alternate cleaning one filter in a bucket of old tank water during each water change.

FYI, goldfish are social, I would recommend getting a 2nd comet. You would need to do a 50% weekly water change.

as far as replacing the factory cartridges, you should stop buying them and use diy media. polyfill or quilt batting or the foam/sponge pads for mechanical filtration, then use the biomedia like biomax ceramic, or Matrix pumice, or Biohome sintered glass. here's a great diy guide:

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters | Aquarium Filter Forum | 385506

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tuufy
Replies
Views
Lance2022
Replies
Views
Danni
  • olevine75
  • Guppy