whats a good plant feeder. Question

1. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

well I'm going to be moving my tank hopefully, within the month...... or next month! and i figure while everything is out i could get something in good for my plants too!so any tips of powders or tabs would be helpful or if there's something you could suggest to place in with the gravel as substrate AND plant foods.

2. Regal Well Known Member Member

Java Ferns and Java Moss are good for Brackish tanks from what I've read. Neither of those would need fert tabs or plant substrate though.

Is your aquarium info correct? I just ask because Cories, Angels and Neons are not brackish fish. They won't like salt in the water or the salt bath you mentioned.

I've used fert tabs with good results. There are a few different brands available.

3. steed1172 Well Known Member Member

oh forgot to update that.... was getting brackish and black water mixed up.... so its really just freshwater with areas with some light screening.

EDIT: okay updated tank infos

4. Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

What to add into the substrate really depends on what you want to spend. I have planted tanks that have plaing gravel, sand, flourite, eco complete & various mixtures of those things. They all work ok but there is noticably better growth using flourite or eco complete. The next best growth is the tanks that have sand mixed with eco complete followed by the flourite & gravel mix. Plain sand & gravel seem close to the same but I think the gravel tanks may have slightly better growth but that could just be my imagination. I use API substrate tabs in all of the tanks & various mixes of Seachem liquid ferts or my own ferts made of dry powders.