What's A Good Nitrate Level?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's perfect for a small tank. Most systems can handle up to 40ppm without issues, with 20 being a good target. The important thing to keep in mind is that high Nitrate can become Nitrite if they're not dealt with.

Baba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mick Frost said:
That's perfect for a small tank. Most systems can handle up to 40ppm without issues, with 20 being a good target. The important thing to keep in mind is that high Nitrate can become Nitrite if they're not dealt with.
Can you explain please? That's the first time I have heard about NO3 converting back to NO2. What process in an aquarium splits the oxygen off the NO3 compound?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Baba said:
Can you explain please? That's the first time I have heard about NO3 converting back to NO2. What process in an aquarium splits the oxygen off the NO3 compound?
Look up anaerobic bacteria. Also, oxidization of any of 6 or 7 metals can convert NO3 to NO2. NO3 isn't a stable natural substance.

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is one of those endless debates. There are those that say you should shoot for as close to 0 as you can get, then there are those that say that other than sensitive fish it does not matter. I have kept healthy long lived fish in nitrates that many here would scream about. But under 40 should be good.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
That is one of those endless debates. There are those that say you should shoot for as close to 0 as you can get, then there are those that say that other than sensitive fish it does not matter. I have kept healthy long lived fish in nitrates that many here would scream about. But under 40 should be good.
Thank you

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
My nitrates in my misfit tank are consistently over 80ppm. If I take the seeding filter out, though, and cut feeding to a recommended amount, they'll drop to <10ppm within 24 hours (and shortly after that my Algaes will stop growing, my plants will start to slow down, my Phyto and Pods will starve to death, and it'll take me a week or two to get the Nitrates back up to the point where I can start adding all those organisms back in).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom