Whats a good heater for a 50 gallon

Alien

Does anyone have any suggestions on what size of a heater I should get for a 50 gallon tank? The one I had was a 100w heater but it's not working anymore and idk if that's the right size for a 50 gallon

altwitch

Most heaters should provide an idea on the packaging what size aquarium it's suitable for. I've got a spare Aqueoun Pro 300 here and it's a 300 watt heater. The box says it's good "For aquariums up to 100 gallons". I would recommend a rule I follow though which is to overdo it on pretty much everything - heater, filtration, etc. If you're on the line the heater may struggle to maintain the needed temperature. With your 50 gal I'd recommend at least a 200w which is good for up to 75 gal just to be sure.

Hope that helps.

wishuponafish

Guideline is 5 watts per gallon so 250W for 50G, but 2 100W heaters on opposite sides of the tank might be better than 1 250W so you can heat the water evenly.

ArtFish

I like to use marineland heaters, idk I just like their products for some reason lol,
So I’d recommend the one that says up to 55 gallons which is 200 watt (or anything larger than this)

Alien

Most heaters should provide an idea on the packaging what size aquarium it's suitable for. I've got a spare Aqueoun Pro 300 here and it's a 300 watt heater. The box says it's good "For aquariums up to 100 gallons". I would recommend a rule I follow though which is to overdo it on pretty much everything - heater, filtration, etc. If you're on the line the heater may struggle to maintain the needed temperature. With your 50 gal I'd recommend at least a 200w which is good for up to 75 gal just to be sure.

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much!!

Alien

Guideline is 5 watts per gallon so 250W for 50G, but 2 100W heaters on opposite sides of the tank might be better than 1 250W so you can heat the water evenly.
Thank you!

Alien

I like to use marineland heaters, idk I just like their products for some reason lol,
So I’d recommend the one that says up to 55 gallons which is 200 watt (or anything larger than this)
Thank you I appreciate it! I just got the heater with the tank so i wasnt sure if that was good enough or i had to get a bigger one

altwitch

Worst case is if you have a weaker heater it will struggle to maintain temperature. The answer lies in what is 'good enough'. If you set it to 78 and it can only get to 75 then it will do what is needed but not what is optimal. Never like to advise folks to spend money they don't need to but the key is create an environment that is most beneficial. If 75 gets you there then you're good - research on species is the key to knowing what is acceptable or not. I sometimes have critters like snails, shrimp or crabs that are perfectly fine at room temperature and don't need heating. It all depends on the specifics of what is most healthy for your stock.

kallililly1973

I run a fluval 300w keeps the temp perfect... I’ve used Aqueon and Eheim and they also held the temps good... I did use the Finnex hpg that has the temp control on the wire it did good but it crapped out in under six months n they wanted me to ship it back to them so I cut my losses n tossed it... happened with two of those heaters . They were great at first but seemed to go downhill fast

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Diane 007
Replies
Views
CraniumRex
Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views