What's a good bottom feeder or algae eater?

SHPEPoser

Valued Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2 gallon tank for a betta. It's a gift for a person that is in bed a lot due to a sickness. They love fish. This size tank is all they could handle. Well I'm wondering what would be a good algae eater for this size aquarium if any? An Oto, Snail, Ghost shrimp??????

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmm.. the betta actually uses 2.5 gallons as far as the bio-load goes so you're probably looking at a ghost shrimp being the best option as far as a cleaner goes, but for a tank that size, cleaning the algae off is probably the best thing, if possible.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've seen elsewhere in the forum that bettas see shrimp as supper. In a tank that size, I don't think a shrimp would be able to hide from the betta for long.
I'm with FLBettaCouple, best bet would be cleaning the tank (and providing interruptions in the light source in the middle of the day to disturb the algae's growth cycle.)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sirdarksol said:
I've seen elsewhere in the forum that bettas see shrimp as supper. In a tank that size, I don't think a shrimp would be able to hide from the betta for long.
I'm with FLBettaCouple, best bet would be cleaning the tank (and providing interruptions in the light source in the middle of the day to disturb the algae's growth cycle.)
That's true.. i forgot to mention the shrimp dinner part. A nice live plant would help deter algae some as well, but would need to be pruned of any dead/dying leaves should those come along. There's also magnet cleaners but for a 2 gallon, they'd probably be a waste of money.

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't think you would be able to fit an algae eater in there so I would say that you should just get live plants like FLBettaCouple said and put it in a location where it won't get direct sunlight.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom