What's a betta's 'normal' lifespan?

armadillo
I was wondering: what's the life expectancy of a healthy betta?

COBettaCouple
they average around 3-5 years life expectancy.

Carillon
Keep in mind that most bettas in the pet stores are also already 6 months to 1 year old though.

armadillo
Oh that seems so short. Shame.

COBettaCouple
Oh that seems so short. Shame.

yea, they're such little balls of character and it hurts to lose one.. I wish they lived more like 50 years. They have been known to live longer and we hope all of ours make it to at least 5 years old.

armadillo
Yeah, I mean these are animals I'll get really attached to am sure. Ah well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for the info.

COBettaCouple
Yeah, I mean these are animals I'll get really attached to am sure. Ah well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Thanks for the info.

It gives you an excuse.. I mean reason .. to shoot lots of video and pictures of them. it's worth it I think. we only had our 1st one 2 months (we didn't know he came home sick) but he gave us so much in good memories and enjoyment that we'd still take him home if we had it to do again.

armadillo
My computer's already completely clogged with my mollies pictures. I've had to transfer loads to cd because it was getting sooooo slow. I'll have to buy a new PC altogether if I get a betta I think.

Gawd, I am so preoccupied with the fish that when I rub my eyes in the shower, I see fish. If I rub my eyes more, I see a different fish. That's when I am barely awake, so it's definitely not conscious. It's been happening for like a month, it's great. It's really funny. My friends reckon my brain is getting rewired, like when you play Tetris too much and you see shapes everywhere! Talking of Tetris: check this out!

COBettaCouple
LOL!!!!!!!!!! I love japanese tv shows! they have the craziest game shows! that was a great one.. it's so much fun watching them NOT make it.

armadillo
he he he. Japanese and gameshows. It's basically about forgetting all common sense and personal dignity, and you're a winner.

COBettaCouple
he he he. Japanese and gameshows. It's basically about forgetting all common sense and personal dignity, and you're a winner.

that sounds just like american reality tv shows, only the japanese game shows i'd actually watch and be entertained by.

nmwierman1977
I have actually read that they can live up to 8- 10 yrs if properly cared from the start. Anything is possible. Natalie

0morrokh
I have actually read that they can live up to 8- 10 yrs if properly cared from the start. Anything is possible. Natalie

Yeah, but you'd probably have to breed the Betta yourself and raise him well from the start, rather than dump them in cups when they're young. For an average pet store Betta, assuming they don't pick up some disease, you're doing well if you can keep one for 2 or 3 years...

COBettaCouple
isn't that when they're raised in ideal lab conditions, fed exactly and chased everyday by someone with a stick (for exercise)?

Phloxface
Yes, it would be very difficult for an average person to duplicate lab conditions and make sure the fish's water, diet and living conditions are absolutely perfect. Bettas CAN live 10 years, but it's unlikely a pet Betta ever would. If you can keep them for 2-3 years that's doing well. I've heard of many living for 5 years but keeping them in 80 degree water speeds their metabolism and shortens their lifespan. They may be happy and comfortable in that temp but they don't live as long. Mystery snails kept in warm Betta tanks will live about 18 months. If kept in a cool tank they live for almost 5 years. This happens for the same reason... metabolism.
After doing some research on this I have decided to lower the temps in my tanks by a few degrees to keep my fish around a little longer. I have them at 78F which is still comfortable for them and raise it only if needed for med treatment.

COBettaCouple
we'll keep ours at 78 after moving to denver.. it's difficult to keep them even 82 in the summer here

0morrokh
Back when I had Dorado in with the catfish I kept the temp at about 78. Fine for the Betta but not quite so hot for the other fish. But, how much difference does 2 degrees really make in their lifespan?

COBettaCouple
what i've read on them is that they don't so much age as we do but sort of 'wear out' and they do so faster with warmer temps moving their metabolisms faster... but at the same time, too cold and they're more open for diseases. it's all interesting and everything, but we just try to make ours comfy and happy at 78-80.

voiceless_kat
what i've read on them is that they don't so much age as we do but sort of 'wear out' and they do so faster with warmer temps moving their metabolisms faster... but at the same time, too cold and they're more open for diseases. it's all interesting and everything, but we just try to make ours comfy and happy at 78-80.

Funny I just told Wink Jack Sparrow yesterday to slow down his betta dancing cuz he was going to wear his fins out too soon!!!! When he sees someone in the room, he goess a hundred miles an hour up and down in the front panel of his hex............OMG...he is a little devil!! He is so young, I hope I get some extra years from him!!! Val

COBettaCouple
he'd get along great with sweetie - our rescue female.. she is just like that.. here, there & everywhere in about a second. easily our most active betta. we'd love to see WJS doing his dancing routine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NavigatorBlack
  • Question
Replies
Views
Hobbyist
Replies
Views
NaveenS
Replies