What you thought about fish as a Begginer

Michelle2468135

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Before getting into the hobby I thought I could just change all the water in the tank and scrub it down whenever the tank seemed dirty.

FreshwaterFins99

Reactions
fishbreeeder said:
So when you first started what did you think about fish that so is not true.

For me I was planning on stocking my 15 gallon tank with 8 plates 8 mollies 8 guppies 8 endless 8 swordtails 8 plecos 10 mystery snails 15 ottos 10 cory cats literally.
Sounds about reasonable.

OP
fishbreeeder

fishbreeeder

Reactions
Michelle2468135 said:
Before getting into the hobby I thought I could just change all the water in the tank and scrub it down whenever the tank seemed dirty.
I wish

I also thought I could do 25 percent water changes once a month lol .

Presidenchill

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought I could change water once a month and never used any chemicals or treatments, now this is probably half of my stuff besides my python and replacement filter parts and other food and I don't even use half of it lol some was just given to me because people know I own fish.

I also thought I could get new fish and hover the bag for 20 minutes then pour them in with all the toxins and other water lol

Omg I also cleaned everything with tap water lol

Fotor_158567792942116.jpg

OP
fishbreeeder

fishbreeeder

Reactions
Presidenchill said:
I thought I could change water once a month and never used any chemicals or treatments, now this is probably half of my stuff besides my python and replacement filter parts and other food and I don't even use half of it lol some was just given to me because people know I own fish.
Fotor_158567792942116.jpg
lol wow

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Well I think you CAN do water changes less while still having healthy fish.... But you gotta have the right set up which can be tricky.

Presidenchill

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
fishbreeeder said:

For me I was planning on stocking my 15 gallon tank with 8 plates 8 mollies 8 guppies 8 endless 8 swordtails 8 plecos 10 mystery snails 15 ottos 10 cory cats literally.
This was like my 20 gallon tank I had with 2 of like 8 different fish lol they lived but slowly things started taking a turn.

lilirose

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
When I started, I thought two large goldfish could live in a 0.5 gallon bowl. I also didn't know that water needed to be dechlorinated at first- I won the first two goldfish at the fair. They died of chlorine poisoning, and I got clued in while browsing the pet section while I was waiting for my second pair to be bagged so I could put them into the bowl.

After killing off half a dozen innocent goldfish, I got my first 10-gallon tank and stocked it with two medium- sized angelfish, six tiger barbs and one cory cat. That didn't end too well, either.

kanzekatores

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
I didn’t do any water changes. And then later I did 100% water changes every month :facepalm: I didn’t know anything about stocking limits and thought all you needed to do to care care of something was feed it. I had no test kits and didn’tlet my tank cycle.
To be honest it’s a bit of a letdown when you realize there’s limits to what can go in a tank.

BigSteve2

Reactions
Experience
Just started
fishbreeeder said:

I thought it would be nice to have 1 each of loads of different fish and they would all be good friends. The pleco would keep my 10g clean. And the water takes care of itself.

Bloodfeather

Well Known
Reactions
Colorado Springs on the edge of the city+country
Experience
1 year
I thought that pet stores could be trusted :facepalm:

I stocked my 10g, originally, with 1 oto, 1 dwarf gourami, a pair of mollies, and a pair of platies. Needless to say I lost all of them within 5 days. Also didn't cycle.

Then I proceeded to listen to the LFS AGAIN, and now have 3 adult mollies, 6 baby mollies, and 2 kuhlis in a 10g.

After a bit of research I realized that you definitely cannot trust the LFS.

FitSoldier

Reactions
Experience
5 years
You can certainly reduce water changes. One large tank with just one or two large fish and monthly water changes can be possible. That's what I'm hoping to do with my main display tank one day.

flyinGourami said:
Well I think you CAN do water changes less while still having healthy fish.... But you gotta have the right set up which can be tricky.
You can certainly reduce water changes. One large tank with just one or two large fish and monthly water changes can be possible. That's what I'm hoping to do with my main display tank one day.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
FitSoldier said:
Yeah, correct set up allows you to do that. Maybe I might one day... For now I'll just keep doing my weekly water changes.

trinity28

Reactions
I didn’t know about the nitrogen cycle and I had no idea you could put live plants in an aquarium. Didn’t know anything about fish reproduction either. Ah. How far I have come. Haha.

Wrench

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
2 years
Nah, those 5 Bettas I just put together in a 5 gallon tank will be totally cool.....next morning 1 betta left.
Hhhhhmmmmm wonder what happened?.
For real for real yes....my sister and I did this....i was about 12,she was 6 or 7...

Wrench said:
Nah, those 5 Bettas I just put together in a 5 gallon tank will be totally cool.....next morning 1 betta left.
Hhhhhmmmmm wonder what happened?.
For real for real yes....my sister and I did this....i was about 12,she was 6 or 7...
And no filter,no air stone no heater.
Direct sun light tank on counter behind my kitchen sink.....

Presidenchill

Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bloodfeather said:
I thought that pet stores could be trusted :facepalm:

I stocked my 10g, originally, with 1 oto, 1 dwarf gourami, a pair of mollies, and a pair of platies. Needless to say I lost all of them within 5 days. Also didn't cycle.

Then I proceeded to listen to the LFS AGAIN, and now have 3 adult mollies, 6 baby mollies, and 2 kuhlis in a 10g.

After a bit of research I realized that you definitely cannot trust the LFS.
Chain fish stores don't train. Mom and pop stores are better but some are in poor condition with no oversight

KeresKim

Reactions
Experience
2 years
When my dad first started me, I was maybe 6 or 7 and I thought fish could be held like my birds and dogs. I killed a few goldfish that way

candiedragon

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
More than 10 years
Thinking back into my childhood, I was oblivious to my dad doing water changes to keep the water and the fish healthy. For a while, as I began to help maintain the tanks and the pond, we washed out filter media with straight tap water, no dechlorinators, nitrogen cycle didn't have a name and it wasn't clear and concise (we knew about using bioballs and other media to help process waste into slightly safer conditions until we had to do water changes every so often to completely remove it from the system). Also stocking... we had a 75 gallon tank that housed several species of gouramis, angelfish, and somehow we had two rainbow sharks and a black shark that didn't try ripping each other apart, a couple black skirt tetras, a couple serpae tetras, convict cichlids that kept making babies, swordtails and liberty mollies, and a few bristlenose plecos. That tank did well for many years. Our LFS liked taking the baby convict cichlids and swordtails.

Pythia

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I used to keep a betta fish in a fish bowl and a pointy, fake plastic plant. I did water changes once a week but I did it completely and I used tap water. Then, I went on vacation and before I went, I gave the betta a lot of food thinking that she would stop eating once she was full and eat more the next day.

She did stop eating but that was because she ate all of it (most likely all at once) and she was dead. :(

KeresKim

Reactions
Experience
2 years
Pythia said:
I used to keep a betta fish in a fish bowl and a pointy, fake plastic plant. I did water changes once a week but I did it completely and I used tap water. Then, I went on vacation and before I went, I gave the betta a lot of food thinking that she would stop eating once she was full and eat more the next day.

She did stop eating but that was because she ate all of it (most likely all at once) and she was dead. :(
Ouch, I can say I have done the same though tbh

bettafanatic

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
I thought you could just buy whatever size tank you wanted and add any fish you wanted and that was it. I also thought you could just use tap water, add fish immediately, and clean ALL the water the same way when it looked dirty. My fish kept dying and I couldn't figure out why. I finally did research (very little) and ended up with a 20g upgraded from a bowl. I cycled as I had learned, used dechlorinator, and proceeded with adding so many random fish and again they kept dying. Did more research and realized I could not have bettas, gold fish, tetras, common plecos, cichlids and whatever else I had at the time all at once and in such a small tank. Tore it down, cleaned, recycled and ended up with a 20g with one betta and like 8 albino cories. Then moved to MTS and now back down to one.

lhc

Reactions
We had a fish tank when I was REALLY young, like 4-6 years old, and my dad would take the tank into the bathtub, empty all the water, swish the gravel around in tap water, and fill it back up. He then let me do the water conditioner, which meant I would squirt however much dechlorinator, algae treatment, and other random products into the tank I wanted (which was a lot :nailbiting:). Neither of us knew what we were doing lol. I also thought when my fish were dying in my uncycled tank, I had to just pour more tank treatment in there. It clearly didn’t work.

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reactions
2 bettas, each had a 1 gallon tank! typical betta newbie!

Thor & Loki

sat their bowls right next to each other too! so they could be friends, lol

bettafanatic

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
lhc said:
We had a fish tank when I was REALLY young, like 4-6 years old, and my dad would take the tank into the bathtub, empty all the water, swish the gravel around in tap water, and fill it back up. He then let me do the water conditioner, which meant I would squirt however much dechlorinator, algae treatment, and other random products into the tank I wanted (which was a lot :nailbiting:). Neither of us knew what we were doing lol. I also thought when my fish were dying in my uncycled tank, I had to just pour more tank treatment in there. It clearly didn’t work.
I mean how hard can it be? Buy fish, add water, and enjoy!:):):)

lhc

Reactions
bettafanatic said:
I mean how hard can it be? Buy fish, add water, and enjoy!:):):)
You can imagine my shock when I got into the hobby years later and finally did some dang research. And I’m still learning something new, every single day ;)

bettafanatic

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
lhc said:
You can imagine my shock when I got into the hobby years later and finally did some dang research. And I’m still learning something new, every single day ;)
Haha me too! I killed so many fish when I first started it was unreal.

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Oh yeah to answer the original question, I seriously thought fish would stop eating when they were "full". The fishies have proved me very very wrong.

Pythia

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
flyinGourami said:
Oh yeah to answer the original question, I seriously thought fish would stop eating when they were "full". The fishies have proved me very very wrong.
That's how my betta died when I was on vacation, I thought that she would stop eating after a while if she was full and boy was I surprised when I did some actual research two years later.

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
5 to 10 years
Pythia said:
That's how my betta died when I was on vacation, I thought that she would stop eating after a while if she was full and boy was I surprised when I did some actual research two years later.
Seems like a long time to wait.

Pythia

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Cheesecake said:
Seems like a long time to wait.
Now I'm actually caring for fish properly. I feel pretty guilty for not doing my research properly before. :(

flyinGourami

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
Just started
Pythia said:
The neons eat a lot. Its scary, a few times they've had a v-shaped bulge after feedings; betta right now is actually a bit on the skinnier side though so I'm feeding him a bit more.

My friend said she fed her betta a lot in one feeding so she could skip feedings later... Yeah no have to email her about that lol.

Pythia

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
flyinGourami said:
The neons eat a lot. Its scary, a few times they've had a v-shaped bulge after feedings; betta right now is actually a bit on the skinnier side though so I'm feeding him a bit more.

My friend said she fed her betta a lot in one feeding so she could skip feedings later... Yeah no have to email her about that lol.
o_O
My betta knows when I'm gonna feed him because he seems to know what's inside the food container that I wave in front of him before I feed him.

Awaken_Riceball_

Reactions
Experience
3 years
I thought Petsmart had some exotic fishes until I visited the Georgia Aquarium, then found a Local Fish Store. My aquarium world was never the same. I literally felt like this in the video:

New Threads