What you think of my co2 setup?

travisnrg

Reaction score
Right now I'm using the 45g bottle until they're used up. I used those because they were readily available but wow... expensive..
So I go
co2 bottle -> solenoid-> bubble counter -> reactor (buried inside tank, under hill with water pump) -> Tank.
I did a ton of research and figured for my 55gal tank a reactor was the best option. It's working great.
The solenoid ensures the co2 provided stops at night while the plants are releasing co2. (That's what I've read) to stop from the ph dropping too much and thus killing fish.
Apparently many people have killed there fish by not having a solenoid.
I've been doing this for a month and it's looking really good. Water looks great, no algea, no dead fish, (except possibly for my loaches) everyone is happy. I don't see my loaches very much, I had 4 and only ever see 2 if any, at any given time. They like to hide...I think they're nocturnal.

Anyways.

So the co2 bottles i'm running are temporary.
I'll be using this 60L soda stream bottle I paid 30 bucks for. Wayyyyyy cheaper than fluval co2.
ALSO!!! The soda stream bottle is refillable for 3 bucks. Just need to open the top and add dry ice. The dry ice turns to gas and boom gtg. So that's my long term plan.
There is a video on how to refill it on youtube. It's easy.

I have a special regulator I found on amazon and I have an additional ball valve regulator adjuster I'll have set before the solenoid when I connect everything. I'm just waiting for the ball valve adjuster and to use up my 45g fluval co2 bottles.

Co2 setups are expensive, but after I set mine up. The entire setup is probably no more than 200 canadian and then cost best to nothing for dry ice to maintain it.

What do you guys think? Looks good? Any criticisms? I appreciate your opinions :)

eca5d4fce1b79a6e4ac65ac69d47ec06.jpg
51a064763bd03146b3601ebbf3a64313.jpg
61d997a7234be5ddbf58b3f58413ac70.jpg
f29c2c6aef0844c8e2d4fac92b40da7f.jpg
1a6523def5d1caae02d4aeec39015013.jpg
e518dc1638bb4b6d95e800cece15c30b.jpg
597f8197e603cea76ec6c8a305e2c858.jpg
715db1e61edbf868f5601eaeef8a5da6.jpg

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As an FYI, soda stream uses a special thread for their canisters so when you swap to that just make sure you pick up an adapter. I personally use a 5lb tank from our local homebrew supplier; it was around $100 for that + a fill vs. a soda stream that's around half the size. But, it looks like you have that all figured out :)

I had a pretty poor experience with the Fluval bottles. I used a 45G one on my 20G when trying to learn how to set it up, and it flattened within days. Super annoying!

Overall, excellent set-up :)

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
How is it more cost effective to buy dry ice instead of just a single 5 pound or 10 pound tank?

zorianak

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh, not what I meant, sorry. I meant that for the 5lb tank it was more cost effective for me than the soda stream. I could probably do the same if I find a supplier of dry ice myself.

OP
T

travisnrg

Reaction score
Inner10 said:
How is it more cost effective to buy dry ice instead of just a single 5 pound or 10 pound tank?
The 60L bottle comes full and was only 30 bucks. It's like 20 to fill after that maybe.. I'm honestly not sure. But its will be cheap to refill, dry ice is solid co2. So after you crush it up and fill the tank, it works out to be 3-5 dollars a fill. Dry ice is available all over.
Plus a bottle like this will only need replaced every 6 months probably. Maybe a year? I'm not sure. The tiny 45g bottles last over a month.

Inner10

Well Known
Reaction score
travisnrg said:
The 60L bottle comes full and was only 30 bucks. It's like 20 to fill after that maybe.. I'm honestly not sure. But its will be cheap to refill, dry ice is solid co2. So after you crush it up and fill the tank, it works out to be 3-5 dollars a fill. Dry ice is available all over.
Plus a bottle like this will only need replaced every 6 months probably. Maybe a year? I'm not sure. The tiny 45g bottles last over a month.
Is it not easier to buy liquid CO2?

OP
T

travisnrg

Reaction score
Inner10 said:
Is it not easier to buy liquid CO2?
Liquid co2 is more expensive. Its like 20+ to get a bottle filled. Co2 is a gas, compressed in a bottle its a liquid at room temperature. So the subzero temperature of co2 (dry ice) is really cheap. I brought a cooler to my local dealer and he filled it for free, would have been like 3 bucks. He said he didn't want to do the paper work, I could fill 3-4 soda stream bottles with the amount I got. Its way cheep

New Threads