What you do for work

WetRootsNH

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Did a quick search and didn't see anything come up that looked like this had been discussed before.
I'm taking a quick break from shoveling out my boss's property; I work as an estate/property manager. I got to thinking, what do others on the forum do for work/ have as a career?

Cherie G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Good topic, glad someone thought to create a thread. With such a diverse membership it will be interesting to see the responses.

I myself and a CNC machinist/programmer/department manager. I have been working in the industry for 32 years and at my current job for 26. I would highly reccomend it as a career, can be very gratifying/challenging and in my area of the country we are seeing a shortage of skilled machinists.

Fishymom64

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am a small animal veterinarian (dogs, cats, bunnies) love the work I do! We have an office dog (brown lab) named bogo and he’s the sweetest.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Designer / Draftsman using Solidworks to create 3d models and then 2d drawings, which eventually turn into installations we test here.

We test anti-ram installations. We develop some designs here, and we also test some for clients that they've designed themselves:

We test traffic safety devices, such as signs, guardrails, and bridge decks to determine their effectiveness in minimizing occupant injury:

We've recently started testing structures to protect store fronts:

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am a roofer ! No joke !!!
I started a thread with pictures of what we do this year as I was feeling very proud of my work !

How About Pictures Of What We Do For A Living ? - Misc. Photos 407237
I just finished [first round] plowing and shoveling ! I hate winter but love the time off it affords me !
Maybe I love winter if I get to stay in the fish room ??

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
JettsPapa I just watched the videos !
Holy fantastically horrible and thank you so much for what you do ..
WOW !

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I do absolutely nothing, because I'm a clinical nutcase. Hence, I keep fish!;)

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Retired now but before that I was the chief cook and bottle washer for our small trucking company. They drove the trucks, I did everything else to keep thing legal and running smoothly.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
coralbandit said:
JettsPapa I just watched the videos !
Holy fantastically horrible and thank you so much for what you do ..
WOW !
It's rarely boring.

EmmGood

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Animator; got back into the role after four years of being a digital compositor. Feels like getting on a really rusty bicycle, though I'm glad of the change. (well, distant future me will be. Current me is screaming inside.)

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
EmmGood said:
Animator; got back into the role after four years of being a digital compositor. Feels like getting on a really rusty bicycle, though I'm glad of the change. (well, distant future me will be. Current me is screaming inside.)
Have faith..... at least you can get on the rusty bicycle. At the age of 55, I tried to ride a bicycle for the first time in about 40 years. I failed miserably. Forgot that you have to 'kick off' with one foot, and tried to start peddling with both feet on the pedals! I had to get instructions from someone who rides!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Kitchen worker.

No not the cook or chef, im the one who cleans their mess, cleans the floor drains, wash floors, walls, ceiling, counters, shelves, clean the ventilation hoods, maintain their grills and stoves, take out their garbage and compost, wash their dishes and customer dishes.

Heavy, hard labour and lots of nasty stuff on the job (ever get splashed in the face with a mixture of other people's saliva, spoiled milk, coffee, and booze? No? Or unclog floor drains blocked with rotten beef fat?)

Editing to elaborate:
I like my job. I like to keep busy. Someone has to do it. I have no ambition for much else. Im paid well and have benefits and my bills are paid. Im content with that.

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I work in a warehouse, and its brutal. Fortunately I'm going to school right now, so hopefully I'll get out in a few years.

EmmGood

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
Kitchen worker.

No not the cook or chef, im the one who cleans their mess, cleans the floor drains, wash floors, walls, ceiling, counters, shelves, clean the ventilation hoods, maintain their grills and stoves, take out their garbage and compost, wash their dishes and customer dishes.

Heavy, hard labour and lots of nasty stuff on the job (ever get splashed in the face with a mixture of other people's saliva, spoiled milk, coffee, and booze? No? Or unclog floor drains blocked with rotten beef fat?)
Thank you for all that hard work you do. :" | I worked for several years between fastfood places (McDonalds, Subway, etc.), its thankless. I have mad respect for folks' that work in customer service / housekeeping / labour / people that prevent stuff from being a shithole.

juniperlea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
MissNoodle said:
Kitchen worker.

Dear MissNoodle, I thought all the verbal and sexual abuse that I received for decades from bosses, vendors and the public in general was bad enough. There must be an award for putting up with the abuse you received!!!!

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
EmmGood said:
Thank you for all that hard work you do. :" | I worked for several years between fastfood places (McDonalds, Subway, etc.), its thankless. I have mad respect for folks' that work in customer service / housekeeping / labour / people that prevent stuff from being a shithole.
Fast food is rough too, worked it before, years back. The environment can be very much like working in constant high school.

juniperlea said:
Dear MissNoodle, I thought all the verbal and sexual abuse that I received for decades from bosses, vendors and the public in general was bad enough. There must be an award for putting up with the abuse you received!!!!
Ehhh id say verbal and sexual abuse is way way worse. Psychologically anyways. I wouldn't say my job is abusive, just not glamorous at all.
(Ive dealt with discrimination at a previous job which made my current job seem like heaven lol)

For kicks... a floor drain was clogged and i had to dismantle it and scrub it clean. I cant state where i work, it's a high end place that sees over a thousand people a day.

Attachments

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
MissNoodle said:
I guess I have not been a roofer my whole life ?
I started working young[13] but first legit job at age 18 was working for New York State OMRDD.
I was a direct care staff taking care of mentally disabled people ,[they called us MHTA pronounced mahata ..Mental Hygiene Therapy Aide ]
I started before I graduated high school and worked the worst 'locked secure /behavioral ' units for 12 years ..
So MissNoodle yes I have had all that and worse "thrown my way "..Had my hand broken twice and had to gain control in some very uncontrollable circumstances on a regular basis .. Roofing isn't so bad ??;)

MissNoodle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
coralbandit said:
I guess I have not been a roofer my whole life ?
I started working young[13] but first legit job at age 18 was working for New York State OMRDD.
I was a direct care staff taking care of mentally **** people ,[they called us MHTA pronounced mahata ..Mental Hygiene Therapy Aide ]
I started before I graduated high school and worked the worst 'locked secure /behavioral ' units for 12 years ..
So MissNoodle yes I have had all that and worse "thrown my way "..Had my hand broken twice and had to gain control in some very uncontrollable circumstances on a regular basis .. Roofing isn't so bad ??;)
Hands down any caretaking of other humans has to be the hardest of jobs. Its physically demanding and its sooooo stressful.

Roofing isnt easy either, but it sure would seem a breeze after that. But up high in scorching heat or freezing cold is harder on people than they realize. And when you dont have much to stand on... a windy day isn't so fun.

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
MissNoodle said:
Editing to elaborate:
I like my job. I like to keep busy. Someone has to do it. I have no ambition for much else. Im paid well and have benefits and my bills are paid. I'm content with that.
I don't care how much money you make or what you do, that's the key to being happy right there.

Dart

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, some of your jobs are very interesting. Thank you all for your hard work!

I am a medical laboratory scientist and a gymnastics coach. I also train horses on the side. :)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom