What wrong with my platy fish

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Possibly dropsey? I don’t have any experience with these fish but the puffed scales look like dropsey to me. Not sure what the white film could be...is your fish lethargic at all? That’s usually a symptom.

OP
L

Leeny

Reaction score
emilyyyyy said:
Possibly dropsey? I don’t have any experience with these fish but the puffed scales look like dropsey to me. Not sure what the white film could be...is your fish lethargic at all? That’s usually a symptom.
Hi yeah it's been in its wee house more now

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Leeny said:
Hi yeah it's been in its wee house more now
It’s very possible that it has dropsey. To treat you could do a salt treatment. In order to do this, you need a quarantine tub or tank which I think I see in your photos. The rule of thumb is adding one teaspoon of salt for every gallon of water. Change the water on a routine basis (tank water) and continue using the salt as a treatment.

Another way to treat is with anti-bacterial medication, such as API Melafix. Pretty sure the directions are on the bottle, but if not can be looked up.

Dropsey can be caused by many things, but poor water quality is a big one. Maybe test your water and make sure you are doing routine water changes (like said above) to make sure no other fish come down with this.

OP
L

Leeny

Reaction score
Thanks is salt safe to use in cold water tank

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Leeny said:
Thanks is salt safe to use in cold water tank
I haven’t heard of any issues using salt to treat disease in cold water tanks. Platys aren’t cold water fish though...what’s the temperature of your water?

emilymg

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticQueen said:
Epsom salt should only be used for salt baths.
Epsom salt can cause the fish irritation and should on be used for very brief periods of time.
I re-read what I had originally wrote and realized I wasn’t clear about the salt baths not being long term. I agree that the baths should be temporary and not a long term option for the fish’s health. I meant changing the water in the tank periodically, because poor water quality is a cause of this disease. Whenever a new bath is made, fresh salt should be added.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom