What wrong with my grapefruit plant?

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a indoor grapefruit plant I bought last spring.
It's been losing leaves off and on and now it's losing leaves and blossoms again, does any one know what the problem is ?
I'd love any advice you can give.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't know if a grapefruit plant is the same as a grapefruit tree. A few years ago I planted a grapefruit seed. Low and behold it actually sprouted. The tree is now about 3 feet tall. I noticed it was losing a lot of its leaves a couple of months ago. I started watering it more often and it stopped dropping leaves and has grown lots of new ones. I normally water a bit less during the winter months but apparently it needed more than I was giving it. Maybe yours needs more water?

I winter it over in my atrium but move it outside during the warmer months.

Since the grapefruit tree was doing so well I planted a tangerine seed last summer. It sprouted and is about 8 inched tall now. I can never plant them outdoors where I live but it is interesting to watch them grow in pots. It would be wonderful should either of them ever produce fruit.

OP
B

BlackMolly99

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thank you so much! How much do you water your
grapefruit tree? I've been giving mine fish tank water is that a good idea?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
BlackMolly99 said:
Thank you so much! How much do you water your
grapefruit tree? I've been giving mine fish tank water is that a good idea?
Fish tank water is perfect. That is what mine gets too. I water it at least once a week but even more during the hottest dry days of the summer. The amount you add depends on what size pot it is in. Mine is planted in a big terracotta pot so a lot of water evaporates through the pot. I just slowly pour the water in and keep adding it until it starts coming out of the bottom.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Fish tank water is perfect. That is what mine gets too. I water it at least once a week but even more during the hottest dry days of the summer. The amount you add depends on what size pot it is in. Mine is planted in a big terracotta pot so a lot of water evaporates through the pot. I just slowly pour the water in and keep adding it until it starts coming out of the bottom.
Fish tank water doesn't work on my rose bush :(. I have one rose that I exclusively use to empty my WC water on, and it's the poorest looking bush of the eight total I have, lol.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Fish tank water doesn't work on my rose bush :(. I have one rose that I exclusively use to empty my WC water on, and it's the poorest looking bush of the eight total I have, lol.
Is it possible that it is getting too much water? I only have one actual rose bush. The ONLY thing I do for it is trim it every couple of years. I neither water nor fertilize it. I have no idea what kind of rose it is. It grows at least 7 little (about 2" across) pink very sweet smelling roses on each stem. Each rose only lasts about 24 hours. It starts blooming very early spring straight through to late fall.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Is it possible that it is getting too much water? I only have one actual rose bush. The ONLY thing I do for it is trim it every couple of years. I neither water nor fertilize it. I have no idea what kind of rose it is. It grows at least 7 little (about 2" across) pink very sweet smelling roses on each stem. Each rose only lasts about 24 hours. It starts blooming very early spring straight through to late fall.
Could be either too much, or not enough. It only gets what little water the California desert rains provide, and my weekly 15 gallon water changes. It's the only one we have that doesn't get watered by the sprinklers, so I decided I would pour my WCs on it to help it out. It produces great blooms, but overall, it's the runt of all out roses.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
Could be either too much, or not enough. It only gets what little water the California desert rains provide, and my weekly 15 gallon water changes. It's the only one we have that doesn't get watered by the sprinklers, so I decided I would pour my WCs on it to help it out. It produces great blooms, but overall, it's the runt of all out roses.
It is hard to say then. There is a fine line between too much water and not enough. At least I don't think the fish water will hurt any kind of plants. It is very possible it won't help but I can't imagine it hurting any kind of plant.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
It is hard to say then. There is a fine line between too much water and not enough. At least I don't think the fish water will hurt any kind of plants. It is very possible it won't help but I can't imagine it hurting any kind of plant.
No, I agree. I wasn't trying to imply that my WC water was doing any harm. It's just that you always hear that it's good for plants, but in this one case, it's not noticeable. You would think it would be the healthiest looking one, but instead, it's a runt, lol.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mongo75 said:
No, I agree. I wasn't trying to imply that my WC water was doing any harm. It's just that you always hear that it's good for plants, but in this one case, it's not noticeable. You would think it would be the healthiest looking one, but instead, it's a runt, lol.
I guess some plants are like some of our fish. Some of them just don't grow as big and robust as others. I am happy to hear that at least your rose bush is producing nice roses.

New Threads