What Would Your Imaginary Fish Store Be Like?

AquaticQueen

If you owned a fish store what would it be like in your mind? What would your policies be? How would you house the bettas?

In my mind, I would only hire knowledgeable people and have them screen customers on whether they knew about the nitrogen cycle or not, tank size, etc. before selling fish. My employees would have the right to refuse to sell fish to customers if they do not intend to care for the fish properly.

I would house the bettas in .5 gallon filtered tanks. Not ideal, but better then the cups PetSmart and Petco sells them in.

I also would not sell bowls intended for the use of fish.

What would your imaginary fish store be like?

Betta'sAnonymous

Don't know how i would have it set up but it would have a sign on the door that said "NO HUMANS ALLOWED!! VIOLATORS PROSECUTED....or something to that effect.

KatLovesCoffee

I don’t think I would want a brick and mortar model. I would probably want to Stock and do maintenance on corporate and business tanks. Maybe specialize in a few different things and work on special order only basis.

long story short, I want to work with serious people or people who already semi know what they are doing and function more as a consultant.
Or something.

Betta'sAnonymous

KatLovesCoffee said:
I don’t think I would want a brick and mortar model. I would probably want to work doing maintenance on corporate and business tanks. Maybe specialize in a few different things and work on special order only basis.

long story short, I want to work with serious people or people who already semi know what they are doing and function more as a consultant.
Or something.
The new Deuce Bigalow?

mang0

bettas in a tank system similar to the aquarium co-op store's setup. i'd want them in 1 gallon tanks or above, and some in community tanks. a great aquascaping section for sure, with planted display tanks. bowls are sold but are at least 2.5 gallons in size, in case someone wants to make a planted bowl with like a single shrimp or something in it. but a bowl can't just be sold, the employees have to ask the customer what their plans are for the bowl. tanks being sold will be 3.5 gallons or higher. and like you said, all employees are screened for the basics and i want ones with different sections of knowledge (some are good at plants, corydoras, bettas, cichlids, etc). this was a good question btw!

SouthAmericanCichlids

I would definitely house the bettas with the other fish, one male betta per tank, and the leftovers I would just put in 5 gallon displays around the store, if there are leftovers. (Leftovers meaning, more than the number of tanks) I would definitely screen for nitrogen cycle and if they are putting them in a big enough tank. And definitely knowledgeable people are the only ones hired. And no bowls. Never! And we would specialize in South American cichlids, hmm I wonder why...And of course Fishlore members would get a discount. (If any of you open a fish store I expect the same, jk).

Betta'sAnonymous

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
I would definitely house the bettas with the other fish, one male betta per tank, and the leftovers I would just put in 5 gallon displays around the store, if there are leftovers. (Leftovers meaning, more than the number of tanks) I would definitely screen for nitrogen cycle and if they are putting them in a big enough tank. And definitely knowledgeable people are the only ones hired. And no bowls. Never! And we would specialize in South American cichlids, hmm I wonder why...And of course Fishlore members would get a discount. (If any of you open a fish store I expect the same, jk).
Well see, i WOULD give you a discount, but people aren't allowed in my store.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Oh yeah, and we would breed for many of our fish for the store.

FishGirl115

I agree with most of you peeps. Hire knowledgeable people, have people fill out paper with intentions, no bowls under 2.5g, bettas would be kept in 2.5 gallon bowls or bigger, etc.

julifhy

I've maybe thought about this too many times lol. I would want a small fish store or maybe something more along the lines of a small pet rescue (fish/reptiles/rodents).

- I would definitely make care sheets for all the fish there (which would include proper water parameters, suitable tank mates and their pros and cons, what the tank size should be, possible diseases and treatments for the diseases, a checklist for the supplies needed)
- Only sell supplies that are good for fish.
- Have employees ask specific questions before selling the fish.
- Have a couple display tanks to show people how tanks should look like.
- We would grow and sell our own plants.
- I would make a “betta wall” where bettas would be in 1-2.5 gallon tanks that are filtered and heated tanks. Short finned bettas and female bettas would be in bigger tanks (5 gallons, maybe 10?)
- We would take in unwanted, sick, or injured fish, treat them, and find them new homes

Betta'sAnonymous

I won't lie, it wouldn't be a fish store. It would be a storefront, but it would just be my fish room...that i would have to pay a lease for.

CaptainAquatics

Hi everyone! My goal is to actually run a fish store someday, when I do my policies will likely be similar to OP’s.

I would only hire knowledgeable people and would screen customers on their knowledge. If the employee felt the customer couldn’t care for the fish, they would have the right to refuse sale (although they would have to consult me). I would keep my bettas in .5 gallon filtered setups, with heating and proper care.

My aquarium would have multiple display tanks, and would have computers at the store that people can use to research fish.

There are many other things I would do but am to tired to list them all.

Sauceboat

My impossible dream fishstore would be heavily aquascaping and planted tank based. Basically a gallery with a massive hardscape selection and tons of plants for sale. I would keep it simple, really just selling schooling fish and more uncommon schooling fish like ember tetras (it seems impossible to find them around here) and perhaps some bettas who live in 5 gallon display tanks until purchased and replaced with a new betta. Like my not-so-local fish store, a back room sells loads of tanks and has large infographics of possible stocking lists so we don’t end up with some uneducated person sticking a common pleco in a 5 gallon. All the supplies sold is good quality, but low priced and mostly off brand. We also sell pre-cycled filter media and always have live food in stock. We’d put special effort into making sure every tank was spotless before opening and those who we hire would be experienced fish keepers who know both fish, plants, and people.

AggressiveAquatics

I would require people to bring in their water samples before they buy fish

Ebreus

I would first of all have a substantial section of the store dedicated to quarantine. It would be open to viewing by customers and they could reserve fish or invertebrates ahead of time once they pass quarantine with a pristine bill of health.
Fish that were sick coming in or developed symptoms in quarantine wouldn't be available for reserve until given a clean bill of health. The sick tanks would be available for viewing by customers with the fish, illness, and treatment listed and staff who worked with the sick section would be expected to be able to explain the treatments to customers. It'd be a matter of educating customers about how to spot and treat illness in their aquatic friends.
All tanks would have a visible thermometer on them and be heated to appropreate for the fish they contain. The thermometers would be marked to show the acceptable range for the fish to help customers understand temperature compatibility.

I'm not entirely sure about Bettas. I'm thinking possibly keeping them in a coral frag tank with opaque dividers and a mesh lid. Divvy up the tank giving each Betta at least two and a half gallons and a moss ball for enrichment... possibly include the moss ball with the fish when selling them. There would be at least one staff member who's job was at least primarily focused on the Bettas to ensure they were OK, healthy, and that customers understood what they are when considering them.

Dippiedee

Anyone caught asking a child what fish they want will be kicked out immediately. And barred. Maybe not barred...

Yeah, no, they would be barred.

Also I'd have a tray of printed out nitrogen cycle information sheets that people can help themselves to. The rest is the same as everyone elses except I wouldnt stock tanks smaller than 5 gallons.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I think selling pre cycled filter media is so cool. I never would of thought of that.

Also I would sell tank kits. Coming with an appropriate stocking, the tank, heater, filter, and light. With an upgrade option of a plant light, with a few live plants of the buyers choosing.

Leeman75

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
I would frequent your store to survey the assortment of South Americans!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom