What Would You Want To Know ? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AJBrown, Apr 11, 2018.

1. AJBrown

AJBrown New Member Member

Hey,
    I was wondering as a fish beginner what are a few things you’d like to know about a certain fish...

Example: something a customer needs to know about fish before they buy such as maximum size, tank size, ph..... etc
    What would you think are the most important things for a customer to know?

2. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuy Well Known Member Member

Compatibility/tank mates, water "type", (freshwater, brackish, saltwater) food preferences, water swmming levels, bredding, algae control, water temp. tolerances, disposition/behavior (docile/peaceful, semi-aggresive, aggressive, predatory) towards tank mates if any, stuff like that.

3. appcontrol

appcontrol Well Known Member Member

Everything is important, when you want to buy certain type of fish, first google it and read as much sources as you can, ph, gh, temperature, male to female ratio, environment etc.
    Check can you provide that fish at least close parameters that she needs and then if you have any other questions about specific species ask here.

Other than that check is fish in store in good condition, color, body, activity and be boring to seller to get you a fish that you want. Second always is better to buy from local breeder if you can. Third if you se dead fish or some ill fish in tank in store just pass on that fish for now.

4. OP
    OP
    AJBrown

We only sell freshwater which is good haha, thank you for answering ☺️

5. SFGiantsGuy

I concur with appcontrol 100%. Whenever I go to my lfs, as in Colorado here there's quite a good number of very professional, responsible and reputable fish stores. One of the best is called, "Elite Reef" and it's amazing. And for freshwater is "About Fish" whcih is probably the best freshwater fish merchance. Point and case being, find fish that are n good health, as the clerk/merchant plenty of wise questions and therefore your feedback should be honest and frutiful. And yes, fish/animal health and condition IS everything, not just the store.

6. OP
    OP
    AJBrown

Yes, I agree... I wish people did a lot more re-search on fish before they brought them.
    I get too many people coming in wanting a fish because it ‘looks nice’ and have nothing set up

I’m doing this to help further educate my team members in fish so then I know all my fish are going to amazing lovely homes ☺️ (I’m going to be doing like fish of the week with all the information about that particular fish)

7. appcontrol

I see that every time when i come in my lfs and kids with parents are buying fish like clown loach for bowl . I have only to two persons (from 6-7 of them) in my lfs that know what they are doing and will not sell you any fish and screw you like that.

8. SFGiantsGuy

Sorry but my keyboard sucks and needs to be replaced ASAP! lol When accustoming your store's guests regarding any unpresumably maintanable product or live goods/fish, ascertain their budget before anything else, as that can therefore determine what pending course of interaction to effectively engage in. In turn, any impressionable feedback will determine what their immedaite needs will be and so forth.

9. appcontrol

And if you have fish store, first thing i would do is to print everything they need to know about nitrogen cycle and i would put some QR code that will lead them to begginer guide on internet.

10. SFGiantsGuy

Hence, that almost literally IS what is the deciding differential between box stores...and more exclusive stores. The good vibe is this: In the fish keeping hobby, as almost with other pets, such as dogs, cats birds, etc. the sheer vibe and fun factor trumps and outweighs any primary or cumulative costs. As post base spending for people who are "starting out/new" the price will be apparent, but in the long run, however it will almost be rendered moot, as the pure fun of it will rescind any amount out of most people's wallets. For example, if your dog is sick and has a possibiility of pershing, 9 out of 10 people WILL likely pay for his aid. And as far as people asking about a new fish, in a way, it's ironic, that people attempt to acquire a refund for a dead fish.

11. Jenoli42

Jenoli42 Well Known Member Member

I believe the #1 thing people new to the hobby need to understand is how to cycle their tank, what it means & what doing it wrong means for fish.

as part of that, they need to know about testing kits, bottled bacteria & conditioners like prime. and when to worry about pH (eg, low kH) & when not to (almost always... just keep stable)

then #2 is fish size versus tank size & what overstocking & over feeding can mean. paart of this is weekly maintenance including pwc & gravel vac & filter cleaning dos/ don'ts.

the following are all equal third lol:

*the importance of keeping a QT & why to quarantine new fish.

* compatibility & temperature.

* signs of disease/stress

:)

12. j

johnbetta Well Known Member Member

water conditions for the fish tank size food the fish eats and breeding the fish and compatability and how to sex fish and the right way to cycle a tank

13. OP
    OP
    AJBrown

Already done the nitrogen cycle for them... made a pamphlet some would say I spend too much time on fish

I have the same problem!! People asking for the clown loaches for their children because some how it looks like Nemo?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  14. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Just my opinion and probably not popular but as a lfs owner I would run it like my favorite lfs does.

His employees give great advice BUT if a customer ignores it, they still sell the fish while still preaching nitrogen cycle, tank size, compatibility , etc.

I would guess 60-75% of the people don’t know what they are doing but doing away with 60-75% of your business won’t keep you in business very long.

Edit: I spend an hour plus in there every time I go in there. Checking out the stock, health of the fish, eavesdropping on the employees conversations. I’m sold on this store.

15. j

johnbetta Well Known Member Member

life span of the fish

16. 1

123 Valued Member Member

From first hand experience as a beginner with recent troubles I could name couple of things:

- The recommended tank size, temperature, compatibility with other fish REALLY matters, and while the beginners could be enthusiastic in a way that 'Im sure MY fishes will get used to each other and smaller tank will be just fine... it most likely will NOT work if more experienced people advice otherwise :) Stressed fish = stressed owner, and trust me, it is not a good feeling :D .
    - I wanted small fish tank for my small apartment, but I quickly learned that as much as it can seem tempting and more convenient ... it is actually more trouble than a bigger size tank. And I quickly gotten bigger ones anyway. So go big from the start. And even if you would decide to quit with the hobby, it is easier to re-sell bigger tank than small one ^^
    - Also, shape of the tank matters, (I learned cube is not a good shape, rather shorter and longer) and one should watch out for mirroring glass in tanks ... it killed my fish which was fighting himself until he fatally hurt himself.
    - When setting up first tank I wish I knew ahead about the black soil for plants ... which I am not sure how it can be added later while the tank is already running.
    - Right placement of the tank is also important. No direct sunlight and no close to heater or windy place.
    - I wish I would have had put more effort into doing my initial research into fish personalities and compatibilities :) Each species act differently and one should not chose only by the looks of fish.

:) Thats what I wish I knew before starting up the first tank :)

17. SmallFishGuy

SmallFishGuy Valued Member Member

I think water flow is a big one, I know a guy that had huge water flow in a tank with a few angels and it killed them because they were too stressed with having to try and keep themselves up right

18. appcontrol

O
    Just to tell you for your soil problem. I didn't try but i will in close future.
    Adding frozen soil cubes under my gravel.
    So plan is to buy soil good quality one, mix it with water and put it in freezer in box for ice cubes and then add every day 2-3 cubes (so temperature dosent go drastically down) and repeat process for next 10-14 day or until i have no more soil. I will try it and will see how dose it goes. Maybe i will do some guide on forum with pictures after i finish it if it works.

19. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

Temperature range, "true"tank size requirements and proper tank mates.

20. 1

123 Valued Member Member

This is a genius idea! :D I love it and will definitely do this in my other tank :) Thank you for sharing this, and I thing a picture guide would be great as well! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice