What would you do? Question 

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, let me break out the important info.

1. I have a 75 gallon community tank info in profile
2. I was given a 29 gallon set up for free
3. 29 gal is empty

At first I wanted to make the 75 a cichlid tank and re home most to the smaller tank. However, this was shot-down by my daughter and she is right. So here is my question.

Should/can I do a pair of fire mouths in the 29 gallon?

Should I re home some of the community fish to the smaller tank and add cichlids to the 75?

Currently the 75 has
2 red points
5 black skirt tetras
5 red eye tetras
8 platys
4 yellow guppies

All the fish are juvenile and small, so the tank is peaceful minus the tetras chasing each other.

This will not take place till the 75 is fully cycled, I just today added the second Emp 400 so I can "borrow" some of the BB when it is done.

I was unsure if this belongs in the stocking section because I am open to all ideas and input.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Grover,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you to receive more responses.
Thanks!
Ken

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How about this question from my existing 75 stock of
Currently the 75 has
2 red points
5 black skirt tetras
5 red eye tetras
8 platys
3 yellow guppies

What could I comfortably put into the 29?

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Well, red points and black skirts can be fin nippers. Black skirts do better in groups of 6 or more. I would think you could either add the red points, black skirts and maybe even the red eye tetras.....or.....the platys, guppys and red eye tetras.

The whole lot would be too much for a 29 gallon tank.

Good luck with what you decide.

rileyrk190

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Grover! You could make the 29 gallon into a nice live bearer tank with the platy's and the guppies. I have read conflicting information about whether or not you can house smaller fish with the firemouths. Some have done it successfully and others have not depending on the temperament of the firemouths so I would say err on the side of caution. There are other more peaceful cichlid's that might do well with some tetras in the tank to act as a dither fish which will encourage the cichlids to come out of hiding. Someone with more cichlid experience can help you there..hope this helps!

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think I like the idea of putting the Platys, Guppys and Red Eyes in the 29. That leaves me with what I can put in the 75 with the 2 red points and 5 black skirts....

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Would 2 or 3 Blood Parrots work? I have really come to like them.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
GroverDill said:
Would 2 or 3 Blood Parrots work? I have really come to like them.
I cannot make a recommendation with Blood Parrots, but aquarist48 (Ken) has them in his tanks. What little I do know of them is pretty generic in that they cannot be kept with aggressive fish, can do well in a community tank with mid-sized tetras and other non-aggressive fish, and that they need lots of hiding spaces.

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks, I have been reading about them all day and on paper it looks like it would work. I will await more input.

Thanks.

GroverDill

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did it!

I took some decorations/plants and gravel out of my 75 gallon and did up the 29! I like it and the fish seem to also. Re homing them was a chore!

I like you can see the refection of my other tank in the picture

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Top Bottom