What Would You Do

Bad Fish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey there !
A quick story....my wife and I were poking around some stores and we went into this fish type store and my wife saw a Betta in a one gallon half round tank..$28.00 for fish & tank... $3.00 food ...$22.00 for a mini light...$5.00 for some plants ....one fish $58.00.....she thought it was lonely so...fish 2...$5.00 .....tank $10.00...light for tank $22.00....plants $5.00 it was another male.....she found 2 females...another tank.... $10.00...another light $22.00...and a how to book about Bettas $15.00....so for 4 fish she is into the fish for about $130.00......Now we will try to go on vacation this summer for at least 2 weeks...so it's my idea to buy another tank large with 2 dividers and a good filter system and some one to feed them every day for the 2 weeks....if you see where we are going with this ya gotta laugh....so we went back to the pet shop where we got the first fish and guess what ....the wife saw another fish....were are Italian....so with out batting an eye I asked the store owner ...How do yo cook these things ...fry them up with a little olive oil & garlic & a little lemon ????....well the look on his face would stop a clock like right now...I told him that I was only kidding and then I explained about the 2 weeks vacation ...well with that he is trying to tell us that a 30 gallon on a stand with a ....you got the picture....my question to you is what would you do......my name is Bob...my wife is Natalie..we live on the west coast of Fl.
Thank you in advance

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!!

If I understand your post correctly, you have four bettas. I got a little lost there....
Are they in separate tanks? What size tanks are each betta in?
Are they cycled?
Heated?
Filtered?
What are the readings for ammonia nitrite and nitrate for each tank?
The answers to these questions will help answer your vacation question.

Here's some info on bettas:

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Take them with you...lol My betta boys are always sneaking out of the house.....and always getting busted....they dont realize that i see the little water trails back to their tanks.!!!!!

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Bad Fish said:
Hey there !
were are Italian....so with out batting an eye I asked the store owner ...How do yo cook these things ...fry them up with a little olive oil & garlic & a little lemon ????....well the look on his face would stop a clock like right now
ROFL!

Thats a good one. and the infomation from Lucy is good, and if you could answer her questions I'll have a good place to start from. Also what size is the new big tank going to be, and are they all males?

Etcetera

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, lol. I would recommend cycling and dividing a larger tank. It will be a lot less work for you in the long run, since in a 1 gallon bowl, you should be changing the water 100% every other day, or every third day at the very least. That's a lot of water changes, and a 1 gallon tank can't really be safely cycled or heated, so in the long term it's not a good home for your betta. It can be done, but it's more likely that the fish will get sick and then you'll have to buy tons of medicines.

You can buy a 20 gallon tank on craigslist for a steal and make some do-it-yourself dividers out of needle-point crafting mesh and report cover bindings with some aquarium sealant. A 20 gallon can be heated safely and cycled with a filter, please research the nitrogen cycle and how to carry out a fishless cycle before adding your fish to a larger tank.

Regardless of whether or not you upgrade, you need to get a good liquid test kit to test your water with to make sure your water changing schedule is effective. Strips are a waste of money and they are inaccurate. With a liquid test kit such as the API master kit, you get many more tests for your money and more accurate readings.

Unfortunately, fishkeeping is an expensive hobby. The only way to really cut down on cost is to do your research thoroughly before you buy. The pet store ended up tricking you into buying 1 gallon kits that are really inefficient, now think, if you had known this in advance, how much money you would have saved! In the future try to take some time to plan out your purchases, a lot of the time you can find a much better deal online, and sites like offer $9 flat rate shipping, so shop smart!

Bad Fish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
hey folks ;
Thank you for all the good advice...at one time I was breeding Kelli fish...and had about 70 plastic shoe boxes with breeders and hundreds of fry.....boiled pounds of peat moss on the stove and drove the wife nuts...we made money and had lots of orders to supply...after I sold the lot I said I would never do that again.... Betta's are new to us and we are learning fast ....with the water changes ..I don't mind and the fish kinda like the change..right now we have 2 males and 2 females the females are in the same tank and they are getting along just fine...the 2guys are in separate tanks and loving it....my point with the post was to point out to new folks that just because the fish only cost 2 bucks depending on your taste ya could very easily spend $100.00 for stuff to keep it all in...with me...if the Betta's makes the wife happy and she is going to take care of them...go for it...however... I am trying to learn as much as I can about them to help her with the new hobbies...oh yea today we went out to lunch today and went to the tropical fish store....Natalie looked and looked...and...she didn't buy.....this is a good thing ...about going on vacation worrying about weather conditions and water conditions is a concern...we live on the west coast of Fl. and in the summer it's hot and with the storms the power does go out... right now the fish are our kids and we just want the best for them....

TedsTank

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
OMG we all have gone thru that!! Shop smart always hits me in the head after the fact. As fish keepers we want it now!!!....then later we figure out why we are broke!!!

I agree a 20 gal long tank with dividers may just be your answer!!! My little guys are sort of scattered around....one I keep in a 1.5 gallon floating in a tank....he loves it. 2 others are in a divided 10 gal. Unfortunately we have never gone on vacation for more than a week and we just turn out the lights and go....fish have always been fine...but of course pumps and heaters have not failed yet.

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Lol I know the money feeling we all do, I have invested in just 3 tanks around $300. Lol but its well worth it. If im not wrong I think they make battery opperated heaters. It might be something you want to pick up.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorority tanks are pretty risky. Keep your eyes open for stress or aggression. It might seem like things are working for now, but for whatever reason, things can go wrong and go wrong fast.
We seen them work here for a day, a week, maybe a few months before someone was hurt or killed.

Still don't know what size tanks, readings, filters....so can't advise about vacations.
Except, it really wouldn't be a good idea to leave a sorority for any length of time.

Bad Fish

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
About the readings...just took the water to our local Pets Mart...he said the readings were all fine..and what ever I'm doing keep it up ...and folks the only thing I am doing is the water changes with local spring water...I look at it this way is the fish living in the water there are doing just fine ...mine should be doing OK also...where I get the water it comes out of the ground 99% pure...and if it's good enough for Zephyr hills it's good enough for the Bettas...after all it is natural spring water...this is one advantage of living in Fl. ....all the fish are in at least one gallon tanks ... all are happy and doing fine....the males are blowing bubbles and the females are swimming around and teasing the males...

lyndra

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They sound pretty happy!!

I fully understand spending WAY too much money on your fish.. I went in to buy a filter for my 2.5 gal tank last week... and ended up with a new tank and all the bits and bobs to go in it.. $200 later and my new fishie is happy in his branch new 5 gal and the 2.5 gal is still empty LOL!

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Do you have any pictures? I am trying to imagine all the set ups but maybe a photo would help me to visualise.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom