What Would You Do?#

Rtessy

Alright, first off, this is a dumb question, and I recognize that. But hey, it's a slow day anyway.
Basically, I've been looking at getting more goldfish for my 60 gallon. I currently have 2 and do monthly water changes, keeps the nitrates around 20-30. That's with 5-10% monthly. Snails and shrimp are fine.
Welllll, I'm a sucker for deals. I was initially thinking of getting 2-3, but I just love goldfish, so I'm set on getting 4-5, at least for a short period. I don't plan on keeping all of them long term. This isn't the issue though.
Okay, so I'm moving between September and December of this year, and I will have to leave most of the hobby for a while. I've been at a nearby college, and my awesome parents let me keep my tanks at their house while I lived in a dorm. I currently come and visit them very frequently.
Well, since I have to leave the hobby for a while, I want to get as much out of it as I can. There's one website that offers 5 free goldfish if you buy 5. I'm seriously considering this, even though I only have 2 10 gallons as QT (though I can do daily 80% wcs), and I know it would make my 60 gallonwoefully ovestocked. I do plan on buying high quality goldfish, so once they grow, I should be able to sell them if I give myself 1-2 months to do so.
So. If you were going to have to leave the hobby for at least 2 years, would you throw yourself in as much as you can or keep it slow going?
I'm not going to pretend that it's a good idea, but it just comes down to fear of missing out honestly.
Also, just tested my nitrates, and they went down by 10-15 on their own! Finally got some plants going!

Giul

I would keep it slow going because who will tank care of the fish in the meantime? I wouldn’t want to stress my parents out with having to do frequent water changes on a 60 gallon

Jafa

I would keep it slow going because who will tank care of the fish in the meantime? I wouldn’t want to stress my parents out with having to do frequent water changes on a 60 gallon

Water changes are nothing compared to teenagers in the house
Sorry Rtessy, I am thinking of MY daughters... I am sure you are lovely

Rtessy

Yeah, I get that. I come home a few times a week, so in the meantime I can handle it, but after I move it's probably going to be once every two to four weeks
I know currently all my tanks would be fine, heck, I kept my goldfish tank at 0 nitrates for almost 7 months, and I only did a 5-10% water change every month or two.

Water changes are nothing compared to teenagers in the house
Sorry Rtessy, I am thinking of MY daughters... I am sure you are lovely
Lol, thanks, but surely I don't technically count as a teen since I hit my twenties! Right? Though I guess it is a very fine line...

Rtessy

Ugh, lol, I'm somehow leaning towards getting 10!
Is it inhumane? Like would they have enough swimming room? Most would be 3", two 4".

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Corygal8857
Replies
Views
JettsPapa
Replies
Views
foxrain4
Replies
Views