What would you do?

1. tbox36 Initiate Member

So i just purchased a 29g marineland starter tank yesterday (heres the link)

http://www.marineland.com/sites/marineland/products/Detail.aspx?id=3452

Dimensions are 30*12*18
    Comes with a 200w heater and Penguin 200 bio-wheel filter.

I want to divide it for a betta tank. How many bettas do you guys think i can fit comfortably in there? Id like 4 but im not sure if that would be to narrow for the little guys. That would work out to be 7.5 inches each space.

What would you guys do?

I love the bettas. Im totally hooked and feel awful when i see them in the LPS's. I want to rescue them all.

I have a feeling my husband is gonna kill me because i think my betta obsession is just beginning lol.

Thx

2. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

4 should be fine as long as the have plenty of room to move around in they're seperate divisions. Have fun!

3. iRun Member Member

How were you going to divide it up? Just curious because that will impact filter flow/functionality. Capacity wise, 5 gallons a piece is more than adequate to meet their needs but that all depends on your plan for dividing.

4. orandagal Member Member

Hi tbox,
    If you look under Shawnie posts, there is really good info on dividing the aquarium with Betta's. I have goldfish, but found it a very good source of information. :)

5. iRun Member Member

The divided idea looks awesome. There will be one big challenge with that particular tank. The HOB filter has the intake right below the outfall. That means that you will have severely restricted water movement in all the chambers except the one with the filter in it (mesh will allow some flow through but water follows the easiest path). Betas aren't fond of tons of water movement, but it will almost be like only one chamber is filtered. And that one chamber will have CRAZY water movement. The ideal setup would be a canister filter with intake and return lines on opposite ends. It's possible it would work fine, it would be interesting to see how Shawnie does filtration. Great concept!

6. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

You could easily divide it into four. I would personally have two filters one on each end (you can diffuse the output if the current is too strong). That way you have even flow for both ends of the tank.

7. tbox36 Initiate Member

i was planning on following Shawnies post on dividing. Unfortunately i cannot find the plastic dividers any where near my town. Walmart does not have them and neither does the large craft store near by. The biggest they have is 10*13 with very small holes.

I will look into another means of filtration. I never even thought of that. Im long ways from adding bettas obviously so i got time to save money to get a different filter or filters. I am curious how Shawnie does filtration too. Maybe ill send a PM and ask.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think a 29 is a good choice for more than 2 Bettas. Its too tall, and bettas aren't very strong swimmers. JMO :)

9. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

What you could do is cut some plexigalss to fit as dividers, then cut a hole in the center a bit smaller that 10"x13". Then you could silicone the plastic dividers over the hole. (I really like the idea of sandwhiching the plastic mesh between two sheets of plexiglass siliconed together even better).

Or you could just drill a whole bunch of holes (too small for the fish to fit thru) all over a plexiglass divider. This would allow water to pass thru, but keep the fish in their respective compartments.

Then to hold the plexiglass dividers in place, you could silicone strips of plexiglass to the bottom of the tank on each side of the divider and also silicon thin strips of silicone just under the rim on both sides of the divider to keep it in place. (By having thin strip under the rim, you really won't see them)

10. iRun Member Member

I love jdhef's idea and I just got a couple more...using either jdhef's concept of the plexiglass frame with nylon window screening as the mesh, or even using silicone to set in the nylon screen panels. Another option is these plastic screens that I think are used for cross stitching (whatever it is when you make pictures words with yarn). I saw some when I was looking at glassware for a nano planted bowl :) at the craft store and I thought of your idea! They come in sizes and colors.
    One more idea, you could Also attach moss to your dividers, some people make moss walls in their tanks using screens of some kind. You may even find what kind of screen/mesh they use if you search moss walls.
    Ok, Im done...for now. Gotta keep us updated if you do this!

11. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

Everyone loves the betta kids :) congrats on the new tank!!!

I also like jd's idea for dividing this tank...

But as akari suggested, the height is going to be a challenge ....unless you get some taller big leafed silk plants, bettas need the surface to breath...if you get bettas with long finnage, they arent as good swimmers, and will need something to lounge on (yes bettas lounge LOL)

12. tbox36 Initiate Member

My hubby and i were talking about it and i told him everything you all have been saying. We think that the 29g we just bought would be suited for different kind of fish. My inlaws have a long 20g in their basement. Its long and not as high, so i think that would be more suited for dividing bettas. I just hope it dont leak lol. If its garbage, then off to the PS i go hehe. I will have my divided betta tank. When i do eventually do it, i will post. I like all your ideas on dividing and thanks for the advice and input.