What would you do with a 55 Gallon tank?

1. not4you Member Member

I'm getting a 55 from my uncle in the next week or two!!!

What would you put in a new 55 ???

Give me some suggestions!!

2. Jon Well Known Member Member

salt water with some live rock and a couple of oscillaritus clown fish + a lion fish + anemone

just me.

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

o a pirhana or oscar or maybe a school of fish or a bichir 1st choice would be a bichir

4. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

make a big tropical community tank

5. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

If it were me my first choice would be full of kuhlis ;D ;D with lots of holey driftwood and stuff...or I would put angelfish in it...or it would be cool to have a huge school of neon /cardinal tetras...

6. fish_r_friend Well Known Member Member

i do samething similer

7. Marc Well Known Member Member

I have a 55 with a community set-up and I love it.

8. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

I agree with Emma, I would make a tropical community tank with lots of big branching driftwood.. I love the way that looks :)

9. jim55379 Member Member

That's good point. never see the pirrananhs in the fish places anymore. Did they eat too many owner's hands? I think those Oscars are real pretty fish. A lot of the other fish that people seem to like are kind of ugly to me like zebran dan rosey barbs, and coreys. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? For me the pict cats and tiger barbs are real pretty. 8)

10. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!! ;D

Oscars are hilarious.. They are just like dogs.. They will follow you when you come into the room, My dad used to have one, lol

11. not4you Member Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I think I'm leaning towards a tropical community tank. Now it's just a quesiton of what will make up the community.

12. Jon Well Known Member Member

am i the only one that likes saltwater?

13. Marc Well Known Member Member

Saltwater is like 10x the price per fish. ;)

14. Jon Well Known Member Member

but the fish are 10x purtier ^,^

15. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

Saltwater tanks are definately gorgeous.. I would love to maintain one one day, but I don't recommend them for a beginner. I think you should be somewhat of an expert in fishkeeping to attempt on of those.. Definately a lot costlier, and way more advanced. You really have to know exactly what you're doing. That's what makes them so special, you kind of have to work up to be able to keep one healthy

16. Jon Well Known Member Member

saltwater tanks arent that much harder...

although i havent set up mine yet my brother had a 55G with a lion fish an eel and some clownfish... there are some differences with having to use an R/o filter preferably and w/ protein skimmers and hydrometers and higher expenses... a saltwater tank looks great though! clearer looking water and brighter neon fish with greater variety and some very unusual types.

saltwater tanks are as easy as you make them out to be imo. it doesnt take too much care to take care of a small one like 29 gallons with some hardy fish like clownfish

17. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

My LFS has a huge 2000 gallon SW with every possible coral and reef setup you could think of, with the most gorgeous fish I have ever seen in my life.. It's just amazing how much brighter the colors are and how much more interesting the tank looks. I do agree with you Jon, to a point where it is as hard as people make it out to be, but I also think that some people just aren't ready for a step up to SW.

18. Jon Well Known Member Member

wow you must have a nice lfs lol but i guess your right saltwater tanks are pretty tough but most people can handle em if theyve ever owned fish and take the time to study up on there stuff

19. EmpPleco Well Known Member Member

True -- as long as they are willing to do the required research and are willing to spend all the time it takes.

Yes, I got pretty lucky, My LFS is set up very nice, there are over 3,000 tanks in there, with like 5 workers constantly maintaining them, and they don't try to bullshit anybody - they give really good advice - and won't sell you a fish if they don't think it's good for your tank

20. Jon Well Known Member Member

wow i thought i had a nice enough lfs i gotta see that place... are any of their tanks acrylic? id guess if they have a 3k its gotta be acrylic