What Would You Do With A 46 Gallon Bowfront?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by F15FreeEagle, Jul 5, 2018.

1. F15FreeEagle

F15FreeEagleValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    So... My MTS is getting the best of me. I cannot take it anymore. So, if all goes according to plan, I am picking up a 46 gallon bowfront Saturday off of someone. This to go along with my 125 gallon (african cichlids) and 75 gallon planted (2 angelfish, a rainbow shark, some denison barbs, and some emerald cory's.)

My initial thought is to plant this one too, and maybe put in some neons and black mollies. Guppies have crossed my mind. And/or maybe a dwarf gourami. But probably not guppies with the gourami. And I will not do both mollies and guppies. I'm sure some emerald corys will find their way in too.

Anyway, just looking to see if anyone has any suggestions that make me go "yes, THAT!"

2. Bryangar

BryangarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    How much did you buy it for? and what did you get it with?
    I’m planning on selling my 46 bowfront too but i’m not sure what a good price is.

Anyways, to you question. I think a planted tank with a large school of neons or cardinals with a dwarf gourami would look nice. Or maybe a large colony of black mollies.

3. OP
    OP
    F15FreeEagle

Ratings:
    +46
    It was orginally listed for $100, but she also thought it was a 72 gallon bowfront until I told the dimensions were that of a 46. So she probably got some bad information from someone or something. Anyway, when she found I would be driving almost 90 minutes 1 way to pick it up, she said I could have it for $50. She just wanted it out of her garage. It came with a stand, a 29" light (24"bulb) which works (though I will replace this if I go planted) and a 75w heater. I don't know if the heater works yet or not. Also came with a broken hood, which I'm not sure I will replace yet or not. They told me I could have what looked like about 25 pounds of aquarium gravel, but I declined because I will either plant this and use flourite, or if go with aquarium gravel, I want either green or blue I think.

Anyway, if I were sell a 46 bowfront, I am inclined to say I would list it for $125, leaving myself room to come down to $85-$100... Of course depending on what comes with it, how good of shape everything is in, etc...

4. Bryangar

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    That’s a really good deal. Make sure it’s not leaking before you set it all up!

Mine is almost brand new, I had it for 3-4 months I wanna say. It comes with everything. Glass lid, 2 350 penguin filters, 100W heater, circulation pump, substrate and the stand. I was planning to make it planted but I just don’t have the time or money to do it.

5. OP
    OP
    F15FreeEagle

Ratings:
    +46
    Most definitely! I plan on filling it maybe about a quarter or less and watch and feel carefully for leaks, if all good go up to maybe half, etc.

Sounds like and your setup, I would not feel a bit bad about asking for $150 anyway...

6. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Experience:
    1 year
    My wife bought a 48 with stand and glass lid and fluorescent light for $150, and I thought it was a good deal. Can’t remember if the filter and heater came with it.

For stocking, consider a Pearl Gourami instead of a dwarf gouramis.

And of course, your corys.

7. MrT

MrTValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    PetSmart sells the National Geographic version of a 46 gallon Bowfront aquarium for $379.99 but often puts it on sale and since they typically don't back stock this item you can talk them down on the pricing as a display model. I recently picked up one of them for less than $200.00 and turned it into a nice freshwater planted aquarium with a Fire Red Dwarf Gourami couple, some Danios, Cory Cats, Neon tetras, Amano Shrimps and of course a few nerite snails.
    I love the Bowfronts, enjoy yours.

8. FlipFlopFishFlake

FlipFlopFishFlakeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +451
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    My 46 gallon bowfront is stocked with all sorts of nano fish, ember tetras, pygmy cories, sparkling gouramis, and peacock gudgeons. It's a super fun tank.

9. OP
    OP
    F15FreeEagle

Ratings:
    +46
    I LOVE the look of nerite snails. I have some in my 75. Now having said that, I will probably never get them again because I do NOT like the look of their eggs being everywhere. Of course I clean them off the glass, but their on my driftwood, my plants, just everywhere... Grrr

Pearl gourami... Have not even thought of that... Supposed to be a "tougher" (as in hardier) than the dwarfs if I recall correctly?

10. OP
    OP
    F15FreeEagle

Ratings:
    +46
    I am toying with the idea of putting something like 20 neons in mine. Or maybe some cardinals instead... Probably 1 of the 2 anyway.

11. Fahn

FahnFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,546
    Blackwater with lots of cardinals or neons would look reeeally good. Most gouramis will do well in blackwater as well.

12. Hunter1

Hunter1Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,356
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hardier, and less aggressive.

13. GirlFriday

GirlFridayValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +36
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you for this thread. Working on a 40g corner tank. Picked up for $50 with a stand. It leaked. Now it doesn't, thanks to this forum. =)
    Am studying stocking options now, so all comments were much appreciated.

14. OP
    OP
    F15FreeEagle

Ratings:
    +46
    Well... Got it set up, plants are in, filter is running. Of course I just put the new canister on my 125 (since I run 2 filters on that and on my 75) and set up the "old" canister on this bowfront (instant cycle.) I am of course pleased that the cloudy water from the flourite is already almost gone. Now all that remains is getting the fish. Will probably be ordering from Imperial Tropicals yet again, and probably order some new cichlids for the 125 as well. The wife will love me! :0 Ha.

15. Bryangar

Ratings:
    +2,506
    Experience:
    2 years
    That’s great! Don’t forget to post a picture!!

16. OP
    OP
    F15FreeEagle

Ratings:
    +46
  17. GirlFriday

GirlFridayValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +36
    Experience:
    Just started