What would you do with a 200 Gallon? (I’m just bored)

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Let’s pretend:
A friend of yours learns you’re into fish keeping and offers you a 200 gallon tank they no longer use. It’s all good - water tight and clean. What would you do with it? Stock it? With what? Resell it? Use it for something other than fish?

I’m just quarantined and bored, humor me :p

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Let’s pretend:
A friend of yours learns you’re into fish keeping and offers you a 200 gallon tank they no longer use. It’s all good - water tight and clean. What would you do with it? Stock it? With what? Resell it? Use it for something other than fish?

I’m just quarantined and bored, humor me :p
Wow a 200 gallon! I've always wanted some discus or a huge shoal of tiger barbs lol. So exciting to watch them feed.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Joshaeus said:
African cichlids...several harems of mbuna and/or victorian cichlids. Or perhaps (depending on the footprint) a harem of Cyathopharynx furcifer?
Ooo I haven’t heard of Cyathopharynx furcifer before - those look really cool. And I guess I didn’t forget to mention footprint.... hmm. I guess we’ll just pretend it’s whatever you want, within actual tank realms

Gel0city said:
Wow a 200 gallon! I've always wanted some discus or a huge shoal of tiger barbs lol. So exciting to watch them feed.
A huge shoal/school of something would be a ton of fun to watch! Especially tiger barbs - I hadn’t thought of that lol

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think I'd do a few oscars. That was the fish that hooked me into fishkeeping (puppy fish). It'd be fun to do an oscar biotope, almost like an indoor pond. Not sure about which type, those black and white wild caught look really cool. I'm leary of trying to keep wild caught fish though.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
faydout said:
I think I'd do a few oscars. That was the fish that hooked me into fishkeeping (puppy fish). It'd be fun to do an oscar biotope, almost like an indoor pond. Not sure about which type, those black and white wild caught look really cool. I'm leary of trying to keep wild caught fish though.
Ooo that’d be cool - where do they come from?

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They're an Amazon basin cichlid, so similar parameters to a lot of the other SA cichlids.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would probably try to do a huge colony of wild bettas and then when it gets overstocked I would probably sell some juveniles or the fry to make some extra money :)

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Discus and rams; lots of both but not too many. Plants. Lots of plants. Discus, rams and plants. Oh and sterbaI cory and rummy nose tetra with a few cardinals. Discus, rams, sterbai, rummy-nose and cardinals with lots of plants. Probably 6-8 discus, 12 rams, 12 sterbai, 20 rummy-nose, 20 cardinals. Lots of plants.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jkkgron2 said:
I would probably try to do a huge colony of wild bettas and then when it gets overstocked I would probably sell some juveniles or the fry to make some extra money :)
Fun and productive, I like it!

jake37 said:
Discus and rams; lots of both but not too many. Plants. Lots of plants. Discus, rams and plants. Oh and sterbaI cory and rummy nose tetra with a few cardinals. Discus, rams, sterbai, rummy-nose and cardinals with lots of plants. Probably 6-8 discus, 12 rams, 12 sterbai, 20 rummy-nose, 20 cardinals. Lots of plants.
Wow, you’ve really got it planned out! :hilarious: Nice!

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
FinalFins said:
Heckels, and try to do captive breeding efforts :)
Oh wow, I didn’t know there were different species of discus! (I mean, I guess it makes sense) That’s awesome!

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would build a Saltwater Aquarium and put one of my dream aquatic inhabitant in it which is a Dragon Eel. One day...just one day.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Awaken_Riceball_ said:
I would build a Saltwater Aquarium and put one of my dream aquatic inhabitant in it which is a Dragon Eel. One day...just one day.
Oh my gosh - I had to look those up - they’re crazy! They’re so cool looking (though I definitely wouldn’t want the tank where I could wake up and see it at night! :nailbiting:) They’re so massive though! And expensive! But man, I hope you can get one some day for real. That’s an awesome fish!

Inner10 said:
I don't have space for one. I'd have to sell it lol.
:hilarious: Same honestly - but what if you did have room?

Awaken_Riceball_

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Dewclaw83 said:
Oh my gosh - I had to look those up - they’re crazy! They’re so cool looking (though I definitely wouldn’t want the tank where I could wake up and see it at night! :nailbiting:) They’re so massive though! And expensive! But man, I hope you can get one some day for real. That’s an awesome fish!
When I was on vacation in Florida back in December 2019, I visited a random LFS and they had a Dragon Eel for sale $899. I was impressed with how it actually looks in person, and I really want one definitely within the next 5 years! Thank you, and if I get it to breed, then I will send one to you to wake up at night lol

New Threads