What Would You Do Part 2 | Page 2

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bruxes and Bubbles, Apr 9, 2017.

1. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    Java fern shouldn't have the rhizome buried or it'll die; it's easiest to attach it to rocks or driftwood. You may have trouble with its current placement.

I'd go with a smaller sword than the Amazon - it'll get large enough to fill your whole tank.

Harlequins shouldn't eat adult RCS.

The kuhlis shouldn't make a mess of things, they're not crazy buriers, but you can still pass on them of course.

If it were me, I'd do a few endlers and a schooling fish smaller than the harlequins, like ember tetra or chili rasbora.

2. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Okay, I'll search for some smaller sword options! Thanks for the warning! I can attach the java fern to a piece of driftwood no problem.

Chili rasboras are available to me I believe - I'll check aquabid to see the micro-rasboras are on there. How about a trio of endlers, (8?) micro-rasboras, and a bunch of cherry shrimp?

Right now my poor 20 high is bare bottom with some guppy fry - nothing is set in stone yet! XD

3. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    I would do 10-15x micro rasboras! A larger school will be more brave and less skittish.

4. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Okay! All of these rasboras were in my price range on aquabid (that were tank raised) and look pretty cool. Will any of these do? I'm not 100% sure if these are micro-rasboras or not.

Emerald Dwarf Rasbora
    Microdevario kubotai “Green Rasbora”
    Sawbwa Resplendens

The latter two were my favorites.

5. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    The Sawbwa and emerald dwarf rasbora aren't temp compatible with endlers :( But the green rasbora would work!

6. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Okay! I'll do them if they're still around when I set up the tank. Hopefully aquabid will still have them when I have everything set up and cycled! Thanks a lot!

Just to make sure, the stocking plan will be:

3 x endlers
    10-15 x Microdevario kubotai “Green Rasbora”
    Cherry shrimp
    1 x netrite snail

Correct? Thanks again!

7. nedpatrick

nedpatrickWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'm pretty sure the microdevario kubotai needs a bigger tank. I believe it was @Coradee who kept them and said that they are incredibly active for their size and need at least a 3 ft long tank and that even that felt too small.

8. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Seriously? :( I found endlers that would match perfectly with them and everything...really hope that they can live in my tank...
    I will do more research on the species from different sources. Seriously Fish suggests a tank size of "60 ∗ 30 cm" for this species.

I would like to get everyone's thought on this, I don't want to put incompatible fish in the 20 high and have to rehome them.

I believe this is the post you spoke of?
    Neon Green Tetra school size

(All of the stocking experts I remember I'll link to to see if we can get some opinions - it's okay if anyone doesn't know!) @TexasDomer @Anders247 @aquatickeeper @Al913 @Coradee and anyone else - you guys' thoughts?

9. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    They should be fine in a 24" tank though - there's a big difference between a 5 gal and a 20 gal high, and Coradee wasn't saying that they had to be kept in a 3 ft tank (at least not in that post).

10. nedpatrick

nedpatrickWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +226
    Experience:
    2 years
    I'm referring to this post(page 3) where she says that they make even a 3 foot tank look too small for them but I may have misinterpreted that.

Help - Making Stocking List For 5 Gallon Aquarium

11. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +4,195
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Agreed.

12. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Okay. Phew. I'll see what @Coradee says and assuming she thinks it's okay I'll stick with Microdevario kubotai. I really like the green sheen of the little guys coupled with the bright orange of the endlers I'm looking at.

13. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,982
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi, yes the microdevario kubotai are very active for their size & I'd suggest a minimum 2ft tank for them, my 3ft comment was just saying that bigger would be better if it's possible.
    I also notice C.hastatus mentioned above, they aren't a bottom dwelling cory, they spend the majority of their time in the middle levels only going to the bottom to rest or feed, if you want a small bottom dwelling cory then as was said C. habrosus would be an option

14. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804

Thank you for the reply! I am sticking to cherry shrimp as the bottom feeders - low bio-load, hardy, and fun to watch.
    Since you own them, a quick question about the Microdevario kubotai if you don't mind? My PH is 8.2-8.4; will tank raised specimens be able to acclimate to this PH if done very slowly?

Thanks!

15. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,982
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would imagine that if you get locally raised Fish they would be ok at that Ph & if they are raised in similiar Ph to yours they wouldn't need an extended acclimatisation period.

16. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Thank you. :)

17. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    I have a few questions pertaining to the aquascape itself since this will be my first real planted tank. I plan to do my tank in this order:

Substrates/rocks
    Driftwoods
    Plant Light
    Filter/Heater
    Cycling
    Plants
    Livestock

Substrate question:

What is the best dirt looking substrate that does not need a gravel or sand cap, and is inert?

Does Eco-Complete look like dirt?

Plant light:

For these plants:

Frogbit, Anubias barteri, bacopa, java fern, java moss, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Echinodorus 'Oriental'

What sort of lighting should I get (preferably under $50, if possible, but I can save up for longer if need be)? Will I need Co2? Or just root tabs or a liquid supplement?
    If there are any that are very hard to care for, please feel free to suggest alternatives. I'm open to any 'jungle' looking plants.

Filter questions:

I am debating going with an Aqueon Quietflow 30 (I have had great success with this type of filter), or trying a canister filter for the first time. Thoughts?

I do have to go to bed now, so likely will not see answers until the morning!

I appreciate all of the help, you guys! My tanks would be a mess without all of you. :D

18. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    So both C. hastatus and C. pygmaeus inhabit the middle levels? I thought it was only C. pygmaeus. Good to know!

See responses in green above :)

19. OP
    OP
    Bruxes and Bubbles

Ratings:
    +2,804
    Will ammonia dosing to cycle harm the plants at all? I'm a newbie to indoor planted tanks, so I just wanted to check.

Thank you! The reason I wanted kind of a 'dirt' feel is that I'm trying to replicate a jungle-like setting. I will see if there is a darker sand out there that looks like dirt.

Okay, I'll see if there are some better low-light plants to switch the sword out with. How about Crypt spiralis, Tropica Sword, African Water Fern, or Downoi?

I'm going to do more research on the canister filters so I can see if it's the right choice for me. I do like how they're not as noticeable.

20. TexasDomer

Ratings:
    +9,063
    Experience:
    2 years
    The amount of ammonia you're using shouldn't hurt the plants. In fact, they take up some ammonia.

Black diamond blasting sand is a good substrate. I also use Turface Pro for my tanks, and that's a great substrate. Looks like dirt!

All of those should be in medium light except the sword, which is fine in low light, so that would work!