What Would You Do Part 2

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Bruxes and Bubbles, Apr 9, 2017.

1. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

I have received permission from my parents that I can buy fish off websites. Obviously this opens my possibilities of fish and invertebrates that I can own by a whole lot.

I have been doing a ton of research on different fish and invertebrate types, their breeding habits, their range of care, etc. (My list was huge!) Now I just have to decide which to choose to breed. I'm not breeding to make money, but I would like to be able to easily get rid of excess fish.

Whether you actually have these fish and want to suggest anything, or if you just like a certain one but have never owned them - feel free to comment your opinion either way.

I have quite a while before this tank will be up and running, so I have time to decide.

Water parameters and tank size(s)-

20 high tank (main), 20 gallon bin ( if necessary), 10 gallon bin (3 ft. long), 5 gallon tank.
    8.2 through 8.4 water PH. My water is hard.
    Temperature cannot be below 72 degrees Fahrenheit (the house is always 72 degrees F.), but I can make the tank as warm as necessary.
    Substrate will be play sand for the 20 high.

Fish I was considering -

Livebearers:

- Guppies (Bluegrass guppy)
    - Tiger Limia
    - Endlers
    - Least Killifish

Egg layers:

- Gardneri Killifish

Invertebrates:

- Cherry Shrimp
    - Dwarf Crayfish (CPO)

As always, thanks for the comments/help! Feel free to suggest other fish options if you have any - I don't mind and maybe I'll see something I like. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  2. KimberlyG

KimberlyG Fishlore VIP Member

I'd buy Gardneri Killifish or CPOs!

3. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks for the reply! :D

4. PokeTileCraft101

PokeTileCraft101 Valued Member Member

If you are going to get both the crayfish and shrimp only get one because if/when the crayfish gets hungry without food (sometimes for no reason) would go after the shrimp and eat them.

5. OP
    OP
    B

Yes, if I did the CPOs they would be alone in the tank. Thanks for the reply!

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

In a 20 gal high, you could have some of each :)

15x CPDs
    5x Male endlers (I'd go with males unless you have a store that will take the fry from you, as even your spare bins and tanks will be overrun soon!)
    10x Cherry shrimp (any color, but only one color)

7. OP
    OP
    B

I'd like to stick to one fish and possibly shrimp with them if possible to avoid being overrun. How many endlers do you think could do well in a 20 high alone or with shrimp? Thanks for confirming that endlers and shrimp will work together! I'll definitely take that into consideration!

8. TexasDomer

You wouldn't be overrun with the stocking suggestion I made, as the CPDs likely won't successfully breed. You're more likely to be overrun with endlers if you get females.

If you just did endlers with shrimp, you could do 10-12 or so males.

9. OP
    OP
    B

Okay, thank you! I would like to attempt to breed the fish I get (my LFS will gladly take donations of anything if I have too many), I just didn't want to have a bunch of fry of two species.

10. TexasDomer

If you want to breed the CPDs, I wouldn't keep shrimp with them, and I'd have another tank to move the adults to after they spawn.

The endlers will be easier and can be kept with shrimp (as the shrimp won't eat the fry). Keep the females in a ratio of 2 or 3 to 1 male. Do you have a store that will take the fry?

11. OP
    OP
    B

I would be breeding them in summer and I have pretty much unlimited space outdoors to put up breeding bins...so excess fry is fine. LFS will take anything, but fry would likely be used as feeder fish. I'll update my list and remove the CPDs.

12. TexasDomer

Why do you want to breed if you don't care about the fry? Or are you breeding for fry so you'll have feeder fish? In that case, I'd go with guppies as they're larger and you'll get more food for your effort. What are you going to feed them to?

13. OP
    OP
    B

Oh, no, I don't mean I'd use them as feeder fish. I mean my LFS would if I just gave them little fry. Sorry for the confusion!

14. TexasDomer

Not necessarily. If you start with quality stock, you can grow out your fry and get a little bit of money for them as adults.

15. OP
    OP
    B

Yes, of course. I meant newborn fry - I assume that they look discolored as newborns like guppy fry, correct?

16. TexasDomer

I think so!

17. OP
    OP
    B

Perhaps I'll just stick to a community tank with a trio of endlers or guppies so I can keep fry numbers down but be able to rear a couple if I want to. I just enjoy breeding to try to get some pretty looking fish; I used to do it a while back with pet store guppies and had a lot of fun seeing the color combos. Got a whole rainbow.
    I'll pull out my fish book to see what kind of other fish I'd be interested in. It is too bad that endlers and guppies can interbreed; that would be so cool to see those two together in a tank.

@TexasDomer
    What do you think the optimal temperature for endlers is? I do not want to waste anyone's time asking about tank-mates that aren't temp compatible. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2017
  18. OP
    OP
    B

I think I have found some fish that I like that seem easily available (either online or at my LFS). I just really want this tank to look balanced, I love my livebearer tank but it just feels kind of empty. I want this one to have more of a 'full' feel to it.

How would these do together, and if they'd do well, how many could I/should I keep together?

Harlequin rasboras
    Endlers livebearer
    Asian stone catfish
    Cherry shrimp
    One netrite snail

Thanks for all of the help, everyone! :D

After doing some more research on the Asian stone catfish, it seems that they are very sensitive. I think I will pass on them. Are there any other types of bottom feeders (or dwellers) that would do well with cherry shrimp? (I don't mind if they can eat the newly born babies, just not the adults.)
    I saw pygmy cories, but it seems they aren't strictly bottom dwellers.

Thanks!

19. TexasDomer

In a 20 gal high, you could do kuhlis? Unfortunately, the other smaller cory species (C. hastatus or C. habrosus are small and stay on the bottom) don't have much temp overlap with enders, which prefer warm waters. You could swing both at 76 F or so, but it'd be easier to go with kuhlis, where you have more freedom for temp of the tank.

Asian stone catfish aren't temp compatible anyway.

If you want to raise endler fry, I wouldn't add a schooling fish (like the harlequins). They'll eat the fry.

20. OP
    OP
    B

Okay; I don't mind if some of the fry are eaten - I can raise whatever I find in another tank like I do with my guppies. Honestly that would probably be the best option for me so I don't get an extreme number of fry. I plan to heavily plant the tank for the fish as I would love to do a real aquascape on this tank, so some fry should be able to make it.
    Would harlequin rasboras eat adult cherry shrimp or should I be fine there?

I will think about the kuhlis; if they bury themselves in the substrate using play sand will be a no-go. Too messy.

I appreciate the help!

I think I may skip bottom feeders after reviewing my aquascape plan. There may be too many rocks for them to be happy, unless they're shrimp or snails. I'll draw a picture of my plan and post it to see what you all would recommend as far as fish if I did an aquascape like it.

@TexasDomer If I did not intend to specifically breed whatever I put in here (aside from the cherry shrimp) what would you personally put in a 20 high tank aquascaped like this? I just really want it to look nice.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice