What would you do in my situation...? Question

1. Dark Sky

Dark Sky Valued Member Member

I know we all love to live vicariously through the lives of others, after all, isn't that why the internet was created?! So, I thought I'd throw my current dilemma open to the forum to get some ideas, and also because, left to my own devices, I am eternally indecisive!

A little background, I only really came back to this fish keeping hobby at the start of this year. I had only had goldfish in the past and so that's where I started again, go with what you know.

I currently have two 100L tanks running, one has gravel, wood and plants in a bit of an 'Australian River' kind of look... This is home to two smallish goldfish (about five months old) and five White Clouds. The other 100L tank is slowly heading towards a non-strict blackwater biotope, sand, wood, a few plants and leaf littler, home to Peppered Cory and Neon Tetras, leaving room for a male/female pair of Honey Gourami (patiently waiting for them to become available...).

On the weekend I picked up a 200L tank for a price I couldn't walk past, same depth & height dimensions as my 100L tanks, but twice as long (4'). I'm now trying to decide what to do with it, and this is where my problem lies...

...Bearing in mind I'll be moving house in a little over 12 months, and had planned to get a bigger tank for the goldfish/clouds then, since at the moment they seem to have good space.

So, my thoughts are: set this 4' up out under the back verandah as a place to propagate plants and snails, and possibly even move the goldfish & clouds out there after the last frosts have been (I know, goodbye snail breeding!). I'd set it's filter up as a bit if a water feature, since I sit out there most weekends and enjoy a bit of water movement.

...OR...

Transfer the blackwater setup into it inside? When I was setting up this tank (which was only fairly recently) I often found myself wishing the tank were a bit longer, just to create more separation between the wood and rocky plant area. It would definitely be a pride of place tank if I were to do this.

...OR...

Any other suggestions? One day I'd love to have a marine tank, but I just don't have the time to commit to it for the next couple years.

...AND...

This will, of course, leave a 100L tank free! If I end up putting the big one inside, I'll obviously put this spare outside as a plant/snail tank, OR, I have thought of setting it up as a terrarium with a nice mountain scene, since it has a fairly tight fitting lid to trap the moisture in.

What are your thoughts? What would YOU do? Keep in mind I don't live in a massive house, so I probably wouldn't want to keep all three inside, even if I did go the terrarium route I'd probably still end up putting the goldfish tank outside just so it doesn't become too crowded... Don't know, haven't thought that far ahead yet!

Looking forward to hearing all of your ideas!

2. Harlebleondora

Harlebleondora Well Known Member Member

I am pretty indecisive to and you have some excellent ideas. I would turn the 4ft in to the black water biotope, freeing up the 2ft and put the 2ft outside and place some minnows in it.

3. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

I think that's the way I'm leaning too... But then... The amateur interior decorator in me pipes up and says that may be a little too much aquarium in the one room, and why don't I move the entire goldfish tank outside...? I try to ignore this guy, but sometimes he has good ideas, however, I can already hear a chorus beginning: "Too much aquarium in one room? Is there really such a thing??!"

4. OP
    OP
    Dark Sky

Ooooohh I'm torn! Been sitting in my living room watching my tanks, and letting myself get more and more indecisive! I love the 'look' of the blackwater tank, but I find the curiosity and playfulness of the goldfish far more entertaining to watch than a big cloud of neons who just hang there... Maybe when I find the Gourami they'll add that 'playfulness' to the tank, but right now, I'm swinging towards a big, heavily planted goldfish playground!