Ratings:
    +17
    BIG SCHOOL OF KILLIFISH might cost alot
    I'd say pearl danio school with panda cories at 70 degrees and maybe shrimp

5. BettaPonic

BettaPonic Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Livebearers, there are some pretty interesting choices. You could watch them breed.

6. ertyoj

ertyoj Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It depends how you see the tank, with a shape like that I could see a very well planted aquarium with a beautiful centerpiece plant like some water wysteria or a water fern, with a planted tank like that I personally would do a small schooling fish that would provide color and movement to the aquarium such as Ember tetras, in a twenty gallon you could happily stock atleast 18 of them if you had the proper filtration setup and a densely planted aquarium, inversely you could also easily do an extremely simple sand bottomed tank with a plethora of shells and setup a nice community of small shell dwelling cichlids (I assume multies would thrive given that the floor area was sufficient to accomidate a number of snail shells for them to claim). Hope those suggestions help, I would stay away from bottom dwellers as the footprint on the tank would likely be insufficient for them to thrive.

7. OP
    OP
    coryman55

coryman55 Member Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks

8. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +407
    I like where you're going, but a Hex is usually a column. So a 20 gallon column should be treated like a 10 gallon.

9. Cory & the Catz

Cory & the Catz Member Member

Ratings:
    +29
    In my 20 gallon hex I currently have a school of leopard danios(most disagree here because of their activity but I feel they have enough room at current size, we'll see I'd suggest smaller schooling fish) I have 2 dwarf gourami males (I suggest just one but great fish) a school of cories, and some nerite snails, sand bottom lots of decor slowly adding live plants. I love my tank and feel like hex' get so much flac for their dimensions but I feel all my fish love to swim vertically as well as horizontally (especially cories)