What Would You Change?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by allnaturalallen29, Apr 17, 2017.

1. allnaturalallen29

allnaturalallen29 Valued Member Member

I set up my fish tank when I really didn't know much about aquascaping now I know a little more but I am the opposite of creative...any help with moving stuff around to make my tank a little better?

400892da18b6f0195681400255946e69.jpg

2. bubblegum-heart

bubblegum-heart Valued Member Member

I really like the way you set up the rocks, so I wouldn't change those. (I'm going to be doing something similar in my 40b.) Though the top of your tank looks pretty bare compared to the bottom part. You could try some floating plants like water lettuce or frogbit, or some taller plants like hairgrass or tall swords. But if you can't get those, then I think your tank is gorgeous as is!

3. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

if would like a critique then here it is. please note this just an opinion.
    you arrangement is much too symmetrical. a lopsided arrangement is much more visually appealing and natural looking. imagine something like this as a scape using these symbol to represent height of items, like this T-__--^T-T^
    ^ highest, T next highest, - med height, _ lowest. apologies if im not clear enough. ill find a youtube video to better demonstrate what i mean. basically keep in mind that symmetry is the enemy

4. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

Got a good idea for you. For referance to placement imagine placing 3 diving walls into your tank(youve got 4 compartments now). Build this 1st structure in the 3rd comprtmnt from left going just slightly into the right. -Place all of the rocks randomly to form a large pile with all pieces lying flat/horizontally. If you can add your wood into or ontop of it towards the left side add it also.
    Save 2 pieces of the rock and place these on line with the wall of the 1st imagimary compartment from the left. Maybe add 1 piece of you wood to this aswel or the remainder.

You could also try everything together in the center leavin space on the sides. Rather than having plants and decor everywhere some empty areas would look cool. Try add tall thin plants across the back of the empty area if you feel its too empty

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. r15u5

r15u5 Valued Member Member

I agree play with the vertical space having more ups and downs plus break up the symmetry. A side that builds elevation as @Kasshan suggests, or build up a center structure and use drift wood and plants to tie in to the sides.

Post pics!

6. OP
    OP
    allnaturalallen29

allnaturalallen29 Valued Member Member

Thank you that means a lot and I have been looking around for some Rotala and floating plants but thank you

7. Kasshan

Kasshan Well Known Member Member

i dunno. the rock arrangement reminded me of a Flintstones car port. on my first glance due to the uniformity. but that is my personal aesthetic preference because "randomness" in arrangement looks more natural looking. i guess my trick to arranging is to make it look like it wasn't arranged by human hands. know what i mean?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice