What would you add? 55 Gallon Tank 

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a 55 gallon with two blood red parrots in it. most of the fish that have grabbed my attention are incompatible. So what would you add if this was your tank?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Depends on what sort of fish you want. If you want another type of Cichlid, then maybe a Blue Acara or Firemouth?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Nick Goody said:
Depends on what sort of fish you want. If you want another type of Cichlid, then maybe a Blue Acara or Firemouth?
I agree with the FM option!

I'm really biased.. LOL

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Lol the point of this thread was to get away from what I think I want, see other peoples opinions, and hopefully discover something new I hadn't thought of yet. All of my wants have been incompatible with my parrots (which were my biggest want and the reason I bought the tank to begin with). But fire mouths are compatible with blood parrots?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would think so. Firemouths and Blue Acaras are both fairly docile Cichlids, and neither get as large as a BRP. I would think that either species would do fine with your Parrots.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Keep in mind that Bloody Parrots don't have the defense of being able to bite like other fish so they shouldn't be housed with overly aggressive fish. I'm happy to see that you're doing research first

Great photos that you've posted in the Bloody Parrot photo thread. Beautiful!

Since you've added the Bloody Parrots first, don't be surprised if you see aggression issues from them when you add new stock to the tank. It's been my experience that as long as the new fish can find a hiding spot it should be ok and things should settle down after an hour or so.

Have you considered Silver Dollars?

Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have. I wasn't sure thatbmy tank was big enough for silver dollars and the parrots. Could I fit a school of 4-6 (the recommended numbers to keep them in)

I like the idea of blue acara. I think blue with the red/orange of the parrots would make for a nice looking tank

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yeah, I think an Acara would look good with the Parrots. They are really quite wimpy, and should be fine with your Parrots.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello,

I like the idea of the Blue Acara for color contrast. I've never kept them before though.
ummm maybe we'd better forget about the Silver Dollars. For some reason I was thinking the tank was larger.

What about some bottom feeders? A school of Cory Cats would be nice.
Ken

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am planning on 4 Cory's or a single pictus cat for the bottom. I want something else for the mid to upper levels to add either more color or activity to the tank. I did a little reading and it seemed blue acara were hit or miss with smaller fish nut mostly OK with larger cichlids

Would the parrots be too rough for either a pair of rams (German or Bolivian) or a pair of kribs?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept Blue Acaras with Corys before, but if you decide on it then the Corys need to be a fair size. If you put baby Corys with an adult Acara then he'll eat them.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The local PETCO carries near adult size emerald green cories so that would be fine. Finding a blue acara locally will be a bigger challenge. Would it be best to do one or two acara?

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd just keep one personally, 2 would be pushing it stocking wise. Plus if you keep 2 then you'll either get a pair who will spawn, or 2 of the same sex who might not get along.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That's what I was leaning towards because both spawning and fighting are not desired. I just wanted to make surebthey were okay without another of their species

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Almost all Cichlids do fine by themselves. A male Blue Acara would rather share a tank with 2 BRP's than with another male Acara.

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you can get rainbow cichlids, they're another wonderful tankmate for BRP's. Excellent color contrast as well.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my wife fell in love with rainbows at petsmart, so we now have 5 of them in our 5 gallon. Thanks for the input everyone, I was really trying to talk her into firemouths (which they happen to carry as well) but she was dead set on rainbows

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads