Question What would you add?

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’m open to suggestions in place of the green neon tetras and tailspot pygmys. I don’t have the tank yet but I’ve “started” the community in a 20 gallon long. Going to have a 40 gallon breeder. Temp 79-80, pH around 7.0 (also open to any center piece fish ideas).

Edit: Nothing else is being added to my 20 gallon long, this is a stocking question for the future 40 gallon breeder.

The stock I’m sure about (53% stocked):
10 x Glowlight tetras
5 x Bronze Corys
5 x Albino Corys (Aeneus to school with the bronze)
1 x Starlight BN pleco
Unsure stock (71% stocked when added):
12 x Green neon tetras
10 x tail spot Pygmy corys
1 x Betta (splenden or imbellis)

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have 8 albino corydoras in my 20 long, IMO one group of corydoras would be better rather than two different schools, but its up to you. (opposed to your 5 bronze and 5 albinos) Also, are you adding the Starlight BN pleco in your 20 gallon?? I'm no expert, but I believe that the minimum tank size for the pleco is 40 gallons at least. Nice fish stock though!

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Gel0city said:
I have 8 albino corydoras in my 20 long, IMO one group of corydoras would be better rather than two different schools, but its up to you. (opposed to your 5 bronze and 5 albinos) Also, are you adding the Starlight BN pleco in your 20 gallon?? I'm no expert, but I believe that the minimum tank size for the pleco is 40 gallons at least. Nice fish stock though!
Nothing is being added right now. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. Nothing will be added until further in the future when I have the 40 gallon breeder up and cycled (I just meant I was “starting” because the fish in the 20 gallon I have now will be transferred when it’s ready). But I love planning. And the bronze and albino corys school together (as they are both Aeneus Corydoras) so I’m not sure what you’re opposed too? I have 3 of each in my 20 gallon now and they definitely stick together.

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Candace said:
Nothing is being added right now. Sorry I didn’t make that clear. Nothing will be added until further in the future when I have the 40 gallon breeder up and cycled (I just meant I was “starting” because the fish in the 20 gallon I have now will be transferred when it’s ready). But I love planning. And the bronze and albino corys school together (as they are both Aeneus Corydoras) so I’m not sure what you’re opposed too? I have 3 of each in my 20 gallon now and they definitely stick together.
Ah! Sorry for the misinterpretation. I am aware both are aeneus corydoras, and if they school together then you shouldnt change anything :) Good luck on your 40 gallon!

Otocinclus13

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I don't see any problem with the green neons or the betta. You have lots of top space to work with and you're going with tiny fish, so you could increase both tetra schools and/or add another. I really like espeI rasbora, and I think their copper-orange would look really cool with the orange of the glowlights and the blue/green of the neons.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I like what you have so far. Have you considered a larger centerpiece fish, or do you just want the betta to be the centerpiece? I have a female betta in my 40 along with a male and two female pearl gouramis, and haven't seen any problems.

OP
Candace

Candace

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JettsPapa said:
I like what you have so far. Have you considered a larger centerpiece fish, or do you just want the betta to be the centerpiece? I have a female betta in my 40 along with a male and two female pearl gouramis, and haven't seen any problems.
I don’t really mind about size. I’m not too familiar with larger centerpieces but as long as they get along with smaller fish I’d love to hear the possibilities. The original plan was a betta because I thought my betta would be a good community fish. He did ok with the Glowlight tetras but he’s been pretty aggressive when chasing the new corys and time out doesn’t seem to be working this time. Unfortunately I think I’m going to have to get a 5.5 cycled and put the divider back up until then.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Just a thought, but what about a larger centerpiece fish like a Keyhole or something similar. Still relatively peaceful and only get about 4-5”.

JettsPapa

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Candace said:
I don’t really mind about size. I’m not too familiar with larger centerpieces but as long as they get along with smaller fish I’d love to hear the possibilities. The original plan was a betta because I thought my betta would be a good community fish. He did ok with the Glowlight tetras but he’s been pretty aggressive when chasing the new corys and time out doesn’t seem to be working this time. Unfortunately I think I’m going to have to get a 5.5 cycled and put the divider back up until then.
If you're not going to include the betta I'd definitely do the pearl gouramis. You can click on "Aquarium Details" near my user name to see what I have in my 40 gallon breeder tank with mine, and it's all working fine.

faydout

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know better, but I keep telling myself that I can manage to squeeze in a small school of Keyholes with the Bolivians I want to put in my new 54G. I may have to do another tank just to be able to pick up 4 or 5.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom