What Would You Add For Tank Mates In A 55 Gallon?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Clay, Apr 8, 2017.

1. ClayValued MemberMember

I'm having trouble finding another small school or center piece fish to fill our 55 gallon tank with.

Currently we have:
    10 Harlequin Rasbora
    10 Cherry barbs (all females)
    1 RTS (I think it's a female, could be wrong) Either way the shark is fairly peaceful and keeps to itself mostly.

We had 2 mystery snails, however they didn't last longer than a month. I'm not sure if they came to us sick or if our nitrates were too high for them. I do have live plants, but I'm not sure how much they are helping the highish nitrates.

I was thinking of either doing a small school of bottom dwellers as our shark inhabits the entire tank not just the bottom. I also have 3 "caves" that are not being used currently so there would be plenty of places for them to hide if need be. I am also looking to add a lot more plants. I have not found many bottom dwellers I like though. I'm not a huge fan of corries or plecos.

I was considering 2 females and a male swordtail, but I'm not sure how the male would get along with the shark?

What else would you add or would you just up the schools we currently have? I wouldn't mind just the 2 schools, I do love our barbs and harlequins. Our tank simply looks so empty lol.

2. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

With the RTS they get aggressive as they get older so the first year they are usually fine since they are still a juvenile. As long as you have multiple hiding places and obstruction at the bottom of the tank they should be fine.

Most of the time schooling fish aren't a problem unless they stay at bottom.

3. OP
    OP
    C

ClayValued MemberMember

Would you avoid bottom dwellers then with an RTS? This one is definitely still a baby, so I've been keeping my eye on it. Will the RTS eventually become a bottom dweller as it gets older/more aggressive? Currently it roams the entire tank and I've even caught it eating food off the surface of the water.

My last RTS years ago was also very docile. He only lived about 3.5 years though (not sure when aggression sets in?). I owned him before I knew much about fish keeping. Surprised he lasted that long in a 10gal considering he shared that tank with a snail and 3 female swordtails.

4. Al913

Al913Fishlore VIPMember

I think it would be ok to have corys since corys are peaceful and aren't territorial, however I would have others confirm this.

5. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

You could probably do 10 splendens or aeneus cories. I doubt the shark would pick on them with all this room.

6. OP
    OP
    C

ClayValued MemberMember

Are Splendens the emerald catfish/Cories? I am not familar with Cories at all, and am trying to find the species you are refering to so I can do some more research :) Will my high ph be an issue? I haven't checked it in awhile, but it is usually right around 8.2-8.4.

7. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, those are the ones.
    The pH is fine. I have the same pH in my tanks.

8. OP
    OP
    C

ClayValued MemberMember

I think I might really like those! They have a very intriguing color from what photos I found online anyway. I think they will look very nice with all the red and black I have going on in my tank lol. Thank you for the suggestion! Off to do some more research. Excited to finally add a new addition to the tank. It's been a few months since I've added anything new.

9. vikingkirken

vikingkirkenWell Known MemberMember

There are a lot of anecdotal reports that loaches in the botia family (like yoyo loaches) do very well with RTS. That the shark will often become "buddies" with them even. That might be another option.

10. OP
    OP
    C

ClayValued MemberMember

I've never considered loaches. Are they pretty hardy fish or are they sensitive to changes in the water? I was reading that yoyo loaches can reach up to 6inches. Is this true? Are loaches generally larger than Cories?

A "buddy" for the RTS would be fun. My last RTS was best buds with the mystery snail we had at the time. The platies and swordtails would always nip the snail when it would go up for air and the RTS would protect it like no one's business lol. They even shared the same log hidding place. I've always heard RTS's are aggressive by nature, but I have yet to see that happen. Our current one is still only a baby though.

11. vikingkirken

They can get that big, yes. And they are schooling/shoaling fish so you would need a group of them. Really cool fish though, I think they're worth the space!

12. OP
    OP
    C

ClayValued MemberMember

I've found some botia loaches that look quite intriguing. Thanks for the suggestion! I wouldn't mind another group of bigger fish as the other ones I currently have, don't really get too large. Would you do a group of only 6 since they can get big, or would you get more? I haven't done much research on them yet, but most of what I've seen says they like bigger groups.

13. vikingkirken

I think six would be fine.

14. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeperFishlore VIPMember

Six sounds fine to me too

15. OP
    OP
    C

ClayValued MemberMember

Thank you everyone! I'm still doing research to see which of these bottom dwellers I will add. I didn't realize how many different types of loaches there are. This will be harder than I thought, as I do love the coloring of the emerald cories but the botia loaches have so many different patterns!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice