Help What Would Raise Ph And How Can I Lower It?

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi, hope someone can help. My marine tank was testing out 8 ph and has risen to 8.4 which is the very top end that is safe for the puffers and blenny in residence. Since I last tested PH I have conducted the first water change, just a small one of under 20% with the same seawater that was originally put in to set up. I also added an iron supplement for the macro algae as per bottle instructions (Seachem Flourish Iron). I must add that I have not been able to buy a reef master kit as yet and this is essentially a FOWLR tank apart from some mushroom polyps that hitchhiked and are doing well. I am not at this point checking more than the perimeters needed for the fish's health and am using a liquid test kit meant for freshwater for nitrate, nitrite, and high range PH. It was giving me a false positive for ammonia (and the vial was going cloudy for that one) so I'm using a salifert kit for that. Those perimeters are good, no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate under 5. Should I buy a marine specific PH kit before getting too worried about results? If still coming up high what is the best way to lower without shocking the fish? Many thanks!

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi I hope I can spend a little more time on this tonight because this is interesting... First I've seen of a need to lower pH in a marine tank. I'm a little busy at the moment but the first thing that came to mind is... You didn't mention checking or maintaining salinity. Any chance that salinity is a contributing factor explaining the rise?

AZL

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi thanks for getting back to me - sorry about the delay, we're 5 hours ahead here so I missed your response. Salinity is a bit more stable in my system as I'm using natural seawater that's been harvested fairly locally then put through an RO unit. I found it tests out a little higher than ideal, 1.026. To adjust for this as the fish I have like it under 1.025 I add RO fresh water in very small amounts as needed, including to account for evaporation as usual. I don't get much of that, the tank is completely covered with condensation trays and a wooden hood. I'm using a refractometer to test SG and salinity. The SG is currently 1.025 and I am lowering that slowly to 1.024 before introducing one last resident to the tank later in the week (a chalk goby will be joining the two puffers and the lawnmower blenny so all in place before the puffers get too territorial to accept tankmates). Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 15 28.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 63.5%

Top Bottom