29 Gallon Tank What would prevent Platy fish from breeding?

Kathylee

I've kept & bred mollies for years now, but Platys are new to me. Last spring I purchased 5. 1 did not make it. I kept them in Quarantine for 5 months. Now they are mature, there is 3 females & 1 male. They are in a planted 29g with 4 green corydoras. They were labeled as "Red coral Dwarf Platy." So I've had these guys for almost a year now & have NOT SEEN one single fry! The tank is heavily planted with floaters. There are 3 molly fry in this tank as well ( I'm growing them out here for a relative) but no other fish in here. Every morning I check the tank, and never see any. It's crazy! Do you think they are just eating them?

cdwag29

Platys are prolific if I'm not mistaken, so it's likely that fry are being born and are just being eaten.

Or perhaps your male isn't getting the job done.

What type of filter do you have?

Kathylee

Platys are prolific if I'm not mistaken, so it's likely that fry are being born and are just being eaten.

Or perhaps your male isn't getting the job done.

What type of filter do you have?
It's an Aqua-Clear HOB 50, the intake tube is covered with a fluval sponge, so nobody will get sucked in. & Also an Aquarium coop sponge filter in back.

BigManAquatics

Have they ever looked preggo?

Kathylee

Have they ever looked preggo?
I swear they look pregnant constantly! I am just baffled at the fact that I've not seen any fry. I put them in the 29g with hopes they would populate it. & it's looking a little empty. They came from petco- so I kept them in QT extra long.

20220418_123043~2.jpgLittle male on left & chubby female on right. There are two females that are very round like this.

BigManAquatics

Hmmm....looks like you have enough places to hide even a couple fry should survive per batch.

e_watson09

Depending on what you have in the tank I'd assume they're being eating. Likely small batches of fry and between the filter and the fish they're eating them

BlackOsprey

Add more plants or other hiding places. Bushy, dense growth from java moss clumps or a lot of pearlweed can keep fry safe from predation.

Oh, most livebearers prefer hard water and higher pH. It's not essential for them to breed though.

Kathylee

Hmmm....looks like you have enough places to hide even a couple fry should survive per batch.
Depending on what you have in the tank I'd assume they're being eating. Likely small batches of fry and between the filter and the fish they're eating them
Stocking:
4 Platy (1 male + 3 females)
4 Green Corydora s
3 juvenile molly fry
Various snails + plants
Add more plants or other hiding places. Bushy, dense growth from java moss clumps or a lot of pearlweed can keep fry safe from predation.

Oh, most livebearers prefer hard water and higher pH. It's not essential for them to breed though.
My tanks are in pretty good parameter conditions for Livebearers. They all have same source water & my others pump out molly fry like crazy! I just bagged up about 50 mollies & dropped them at my LFS last week.

The tops covered with floating plants so I assumed they had plenty of coverage. But it blocks out the light.. So plants on bottom struggle a bit.

Maybe just because I WANT platy fry- I will not get them lol. The mollies I do not want to breed any more & every other week I find a new baby!

Attachments

• 20220418_164720.jpg
    20220418_164720.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220418_164725_HDR.jpg
    20220418_164725_HDR.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220418_164737_HDR.jpg
    20220418_164737_HDR.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 19

BlackOsprey

Yeah, you'll definitely want some more plants with denser, bushier growth. Those floaters aren't going to shelter or hide fry.
Java moss is good because it'll grow fine even underneath floaters, it doesn't need much light.

Kathylee

Yeah, you'll definitely want some more plants with denser, bushier growth. Those floaters aren't going to shelter or hide fry.
Java moss is good because it'll grow fine even underneath floaters, it doesn't need much light.
The molly fry hide pretty well in the floating plant roots in the other tanks. Especially the water lettuce & frogbit because if I don't trim them, they'll grow 6 inches. In this one though it's mostly RRF, I just donated a ton of water lettuce out of it.

I can't keep moss alive. I've purchased it several times, once it starts Browning the snails eat it all up. I have some left in a 15g that's just barely hanging on.

Any other plant suggestions?

BlackOsprey

The molly fry hide pretty well in the floating plant roots in the other tanks. Especially the water lettuce & frogbit because if I don't trim them, they'll grow 6 inches. In this one though it's mostly RRF, I just donated a ton of water lettuce out of it.

I can't keep moss alive. I've purchased it several times, once it starts Browning the snails eat it all up. I have some left in a 15g that's just barely hanging on.

Any other plant suggestions?
Oh, red root floaters definitely have the potential to be excellent shelter for fry. As your RRFs are now though, I think your fry could use more options.

Pearlweed is very easy and can form tall, dense growths. By far the easiest stem plant I have ever grown.

Subwassertang is slow-growing at first, but can form large, hedge-like clumps if left in place. They don't have roots, nor do they anchor themselves in place. They mostly like just being left to settle in a spot, and will gradually accumulate growth over time. While this usually means just forming mats on top of the gravel, it can also grow well if you wedge a clump of it in place just about anywhere in the tank.

And, more plants and stuff in general to fill in the empty spaces can help a lot too, the type isn't all too important. The more your fish's line of sight is broken by plants, driftwood, or other decor, the less likely they are to spot fry at any given moment.

HupGupp

That male must be a dud somehow - there's lots of cover and lots room, so you should have had fry easily by now

Trisscar

I haven't done Platy, but could water temperature be affecting them, I know my endless tend to hold off on spawning when they're too cold and a temperature shift gets them popping

Kathylee

That male must be a dud somehow - there's lots of cover and lots room, so you should have had fry easily by now
Oh I didn't think about that. Maybe I should try to buy a few more to add. I ran into 2 pet stores looking for a certain type of food this past weekend & did not see any.
I haven't done Platy, but could water temperature be affecting them, I know my endless tend to hold off on spawning when they're too cold and a temperature shift gets them popping
The temp stays between 78°-80° that's what the thermometer says anyways. What temp do you keep your Endlers at?

Flyfisha

Platy fry seem to be small for live bearers fry.
Whatever you don’t get at daybreak may be lunch if they avoid breakfast?
Looking first thing every morning with the intention of scooping tiny fry out is my routine. I use a plastic jug.

Kathylee

Platy fry seem to be small for live bearers fry.
Whatever you don’t get at daybreak may be lunch if they avoid breakfast?
Looking first thing every morning with the intention of scooping tiny fry out is my routine. I use a plastic jug.
I turn the lights on every day at 10:30am. And the very first thing I do, is sit in a chair and look up under the floaters, and behind filter, I look in the gravel. I just stare at the tank for 10 minutes looking for movement anywhere lol!

Almost every 30 days like clockwork my mollies reproduce, I do not save them anymore, I just let 'em go. Example: in molly tank; last month on a drop 25 fry were left uneaten > 30 days later on the next batch only 2 were left uneaten. BUT there's always at least a couple who survive. That's why I am so confused. I've not seen one single platy fry ever.

emeraldking

What could also be the reason is that they can absorb the embryos. In that case, a female can become pregnant but won't deliver those fry. If that's the case, it means in general that they ain't comfortable enough to drop fry.

Kathylee

What could also be the reason is that they can absorb the embryos. In that case, a female can become pregnant but won't deliver those fry. If that's the case, it means in general that they ain't comfortable enough to drop fry.
Ah that is interesting, when that happens what are you to do?

emeraldking

Ah that is interesting, when that happens what are you to do?
Basically, nothing... Just let them be and wait till they're comfortable enough to deliver fry.

Kathylee

Basically, nothing... Just let them be and wait till they're comfortable enough to deliver fry.
I've never experienced Livebearers NOT drop fry. It blows my mind.

I ordered some new plants from a member on here, maybe more coverage will help bring them out of their shell then. The Platys sort of cluster up together & stay in the back, where it is darker, Until after 5pm, then they wonder about. The cories & 3 molly swim all over though. Idk, guess I'll just give it time & hope for some fry.

This tank just looks incredibly empty!

Flyfisha

I found one platy fry today well before the lights come on in my tank of adults , at the surface and another on the substrate in a dense moss bunch.
By the time I picked up the turkey baster the one at the surface was a meal. They really are small Kathylee.
I have been looking every day since my last message. Because I don’t see them in the first 60 seconds I kind of don’t expect to see them if you know what I mean ?

A torch/ flashlight in the dark and a turkey baster.
Not trying to be smart but perhaps you also don’t expect to see them , they really are small for a livebearer.
Update.
I got another one with a plastic jug at 1 pm in the afternoon. I might have old eyes but I was sure there were none the second time I looked?

Kathylee

I found one platy fry today well before the lights come on in my tank of adults , at the surface and another on the substrate in a dense moss bunch.
By the time I picked up the turkey baster the one at the surface was a meal. They really are small Kathylee.
I have been looking every day since my last message. Because I don’t see them in the first 60 seconds I kind of don’t expect to see them if you know what I mean ?

A torch/ flashlight in the dark and a turkey baster.
Not trying to be smart but perhaps you also don’t expect to see them , they really are small for a livebearer.
After reading your reply I image searched platy fry & they are pretty tiny. In the morning I turn the lights on sunrise mode 30 minutes before ramping them up 100%. Then I check for fry, maybe they are just eating them. They definitely go through pregnant stages, where they become so large they resemble a Balloon Mollies shape.

Maybe I should start checking later at night when they sleep?

Any photos of new platy fry guys?

emeraldking

I've never experienced Livebearers NOT drop fry. It blows my mind.
Well, I also keep rare livebearers that aren't that prolific. For not all livebearer species are very prolific, to be honest. The most known "big 4" commercial ones (guppy, molly, platy and swordtail. And all referring to just the fancy strains {so, not wild strains}), are known to be very prolific.
But absorbing embryos by an ovoviviparous female livebearer is not rare. It does happen more then you think.
After reading your reply I image searched platy fry & they are pretty tiny.
Oh yes, they can be very tiny when they're newborns. Especially when you have gravel, you're not always able to see fry that clear.

Flyfisha

Kathylee I don’t need much encouragement to post pictures. Just minutes ago I scooped out these fry with a plastic jug .
AACC180A-69F2-47CB-9FD8-C531ABAFF95B.jpeg
At almost 5 mm / 0.2 inches they are much bigger than apistogramma fry at a month old but still pretty easy to miss in a bunch of hornwort.

And a snapshot of some fry that at a month old are just showing their Mickey Mouse tails.

D593121B-763A-4F9F-A333-E46579E82110.jpeg

Kathylee

Kathylee I don’t need much encouragement to post pictures. Just minutes ago I scooped out these fry with a plastic jug .
AACC180A-69F2-47CB-9FD8-C531ABAFF95B.jpeg
At almost 5 mm / 0.2 inches they are much bigger than apistogramma fry at a month old but still pretty easy to miss in a bunch of hornwort.

And a snapshot of some fry that at a month old are just showing their Mickey Mouse tails.

D593121B-763A-4F9F-A333-E46579E82110.jpeg
They are adorable! And they are so tiny!

For fry-size comparison, I have only ever had molly fry in my tanks, if it's a large batch they can be pretty small. I have BN plecos, ottos, mollies & corydoras & now platys throughout 4 different tanks.
I've seen Guppy fry & others in pet stores that were pretty small, but not in my own tanks.

The ones I purchased were labeled 'Drawf coral red Platy," are they smaller than regular Platies in general? Like I said they kind of have the same shape as a balloon molly. It was the red coloring that actually drew me to them. And now I like them more, because they are more peaceful than the mollies. Mollies can get pretty aggressive.

Kathylee

This morning after lights were turned on for an hour, I passed by & saw 1 of the females hiding up top in the plants, and I became excited! I thought "finally some fry!"
Well, it turned out to be some sort of prolapse, which I've never experienced before! Poor thing is hiding up top, staying close to surface, or near the circulator pump where bubbles are. I searched it up & read up on it. A lot of articles say if it does not get better on it's own the fish becomes ill & fades fast, any advice from you guys on this? I've never seen it before.

20220429_132308.jpg
20220429_132310.jpg

Flyfisha

I have no hands on experience with that.

From what I have heard it’s not something a fish survives?
emeraldking may have knowledge of this.

Sorry I am of no help.

I am sorry I wish I had better news.

Kathylee

I have no hands on experience with that.

From what I have heard it’s not something a fish survives?
emeraldking may have knowledge of this.

Sorry I am of no help.

I am sorry I wish I had better news.
It's okay, Thank you for responding.
She is still at the surface, with no change. I wonder what caused it. What I read said usually fry/undeveloped eggs/ or an item they are not suppose to eat causes it. If she becomes very poorly, I may just move her to my 5 gallon. Like I said, I have never seen it before.

Flyfisha

Kathylee wrote.
“ I wonder what caused it “
My local aquarium club president gave a presentation on balloon fish. Some of the pictures of the skeletons of balloon fish and an explanation of how the internal organs are pushed aside left my wife and I in little doubt about the problems these fish have. While I do not know if prolapse is on the list of issues normally associated with these guys that would be my guess. A birthing related problem I suspect?

Kathylee

Kathylee wrote.
“ I wonder what caused it “
My local aquarium club president gave a presentation on balloon fish. Some of the pictures of the skeletons of balloon fish and an explanation of how the internal organs are pushed aside left my wife and I in little doubt about the problems these fish have. While I do not know if prolapse is on the list of issues normally associated with these guys that would be my guess. A birthing related problem I suspect?
Yes, it's sad that they suffer so, I think I watched a informational video about the Balloon mollies.

When I purchased these dwarf Platies, I thought they were just a smaller Platy, I did not know they would look like this in adulthood.

I'm not sure if the prolapse was birth related or not, I did not see any evidence of eggs or fry in the tank.

This morning she looks a bit better, she is no longer hovering up top, she is back swimming around with the other platys, But I haven't been able to get a good look at her vent, I cannot tell if it's still inflamed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Michelle36
  • Platy
Replies
Views
bd2122
  • Question
  • Michelle36
  • Platy
Replies
Views