10 Gallon Tank What would my friend need?

JessiNoel21
Okay guys/girls my friend would love to do a nano reef in her empty 10 gallon. What would she need to do it? Does she need a sump? Or well tons of live rock, 2 inches of live sand, and 2 powerheads work? And what type of fish would work and be fine in it and what CUC well work she does plan having corals?

kinezumi89
I know very little about Saltwater aquariums, but I do know that ~30 gallons is the recommended starting size. There are people with nano Saltwater tanks but they are already very experienced with how Saltwater aquariums differ from FW. If this is her first Saltwater tank, she may want to save up for something bigger. Corals require very low/nonexistent nitrate level, which is easier to achieve with larger tanks.

JessiNoel21
kinezumi89 said:
I know very little about Saltwater aquariums, but I do know that ~30 gallons is the recommended starting size. There are people with nano Saltwater tanks but they are already very experienced with how Saltwater aquariums differ from FW. If this is her first Saltwater tank, she may want to save up for something bigger. Corals require very low/nonexistent nitrate level, which is easier to achieve with larger tanks.
She had one when she was younger but she also lives where there is a tank size limit and she already has a 120 gallon Freshwater tank and she was told her other tanks had to be 10 gallons and smaller and max of 2.

Lucy
The stickies at the top of this forum are very helpful:

JessiNoel21
Lucy said:
The stickies at the top of this forum are very helpful:
Duh that is how I am learning about mine ty Lucy. I had a blank moment Taleigh kept us up last night due to her having gas from what I had for supper I was a bad mommy is had curry.

Lucy
lol! No problem! I swear having a new born does something weird to our brains for a while.
Probably from the lack of sleep!

The first time I went clothes shopping after my first kid I walked around in a daze and couldn't make a decision to save my life!
I was in such a daze. lol

Best of luck to your friend.
If something isn't addressed in the stickies our salty members will help.

ryanr
The stickies are a great start.

Your specific queries:
Sump - not 100% necessary, but would be great to increase water volume.

Between the live rock, sand and powerheads you will have the filtration required. Although, I would strongly consider a nano-skimmer to put on it

Do you know what sort of corals your friend wants? This can dictate CUC and stocking.

What sort of lighting? The corals will help determine this.

For a 10G CUC - Peppermint shrimp, cerith snails, nassa's could all be considered. You could also consider hermit crabs if you like them, but I'm wary of them nibbling corals.

Stocking fish in a 10G is hard, as the smaller fish are often difficult to find.

finnbanks7
Liveaquaria has good nano fish. I got a here clown and black clown goby from them. But the green clown didn't make it past the first day. I was very very sad. They did refund my money. The hydor slI'm skI'm nano is a good skimmer. Wish it was a little slimer. But works ok for my 20 gal.

JessiNoel21
ryanr said:
The stickies are a great start.

Your specific queries:
Sump - not 100% necessary, but would be great to increase water volume.

Between the live rock, sand and powerheads you will have the filtration required. Although, I would strongly consider a nano-skimmer to put on it

Do you know what sort of corals your friend wants? This can dictate CUC and stocking.

What sort of lighting? The corals will help determine this.

For a 10G CUC - Peppermint shrimp, cerith snails, nassa's could all be considered. You could also consider hermit crabs if you like them, but I'm wary of them nibbling corals.

Stocking fish in a 10G is hard, as the smaller fish are often difficult to find.
So she does not need a sump per say? Cuz that was her big worry that she would need one cuz as it stands right now she does not have a good stand to put it on she will be having it on a counter in her kitchen.She plans on upgrading in a few yrs when she moves and by than she can have mine cuz I plan on doing a DIY in a few yrs. She has a coralife light that she found in the trash at her apt complex and it works it has one white bulb and one blue bulb and looks to be 24 inches long. What nano skimmer that is venturI driven is a good one? She thinking either two nano clowns or one nano clown and GobI that is all or can she do three nanos? She is researching corals like I am so I do not have a answer on that yet.

ryanr
Nope, she does not need a sump. Post #3 https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ome-researching-equipment.119039/#post1314305 explains the advantages of using a sump, but they are in no way a necessity for keeping SW.

In a 10G without a sump, I would give consideration to the water volume, and in particular evaporation. Given salt does not evaporate, keeping the water topped off is of utmost importance. I typically lose about 1% of my water volume per day from my 66G, and top-up every day.
The following calculator is a good little tool for figuring out salinity changes due to evaporation:

I would strongly consider the Tunze Nano skimmers, but Mike has reviewed a few others: https://www.fishlore.com/Aquarium_Equipment_Reviews.htm

I'm not sure about nano clowns, I don't know anything about them

JessiNoel21
ryanr said:
Nope, she does not need a sump. Post #3 https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...ome-researching-equipment.119039/#post1314305 explains the advantages of using a sump, but they are in no way a necessity for keeping SW.

In a 10G without a sump, I would give consideration to the water volume, and in particular evaporation. Given salt does not evaporate, keeping the water topped off is of utmost importance. I typically lose about 1% of my water volume per day from my 66G, and top-up every day.
The following calculator is a good little tool for figuring out salinity changes due to evaporation:

I would strongly consider the Tunze Nano skimmers, but Mike has reviewed a few others: https://www.fishlore.com/Aquarium_Equipment_Reviews.htm

I'm not sure about nano clowns, I don't know anything about them
Okay I well send her the info ty. I am only one post 2 not 3 yet .

JessiNoel21
Would this work for her she is asking seeing she would have to save up for the Tunze(she plans on getting it in November if all goes as planned with her job) thank you again.

ryanr
It doesn't look like a HOB style skimmer?

For a 10G, you probably want to be looking at the HOB or internal style skimmer, especially if a sump is not in use.

The skimmer is not essential to start a tank, but it would mean more frequent water changes to keep nitrates down.

If you can find a suitable HOB style skimmer, go for it.

Personally, I would opt for more frequent water changes until I saved up for a quality skimmer.

Maybe look at: https://www.fishlore.com/er_slimskimproteinskimmer.htm
It's about $40 cheaper from what I can tell.

Oh, and don't forget the 2nd hand market

Side-note: If I'm honest, I read far too many horror stories about the problems Saltwater keepers have when using below-par equipment.

JessiNoel21
ryanr said:
It doesn't look like a HOB style skimmer?

For a 10G, you probably want to be looking at the HOB or internal style skimmer, especially if a sump is not in use.

The skimmer is not essential to start a tank, but it would mean more frequent water changes to keep nitrates down.

If you can find a suitable HOB style skimmer, go for it.

Personally, I would opt for more frequent water changes until I saved up for a quality skimmer.

Maybe look at: https://www.fishlore.com/er_slimskimproteinskimmer.htm
It's about $40 cheaper from what I can tell.

Oh, and don't forget the 2nd hand market

Side-note: If I'm honest, I read far too many horror stories about the problems Saltwater keepers have when using below-par equipment.
Okay I well show her that one I like it hopefully she well ty again.

JessiNoel21
She found a Rio nano reef protein skimmer at a tag sale today for $30 bucks still in a unopened box. So hopefully by the end of September she well have the tank up and cycling.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom