What would look good with red eye tetras

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
danielsnod12 said:
I have a small school of six red eye tetras and I’m look for another school of tetras, what species of tetra would compliment the red eyes?
I have red phantom tetras and they are so red they glow. My lemons have red eyes as well and I always found they complimented well.

If your looking for a different color fish (not red), then I like to keep columbian tetras with their iridescent blue grey and red fins.

Red phantoms are medium sized, columbians are large, both are deep bodied and don't do a lot of zipping around the tank.

Forgot pics
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
I have red phantom tetras and they are so red they glow. My lemons have red eyes as well and I always found they complimented well.

If your looking for a different color fish (not red), then I like to keep columbian tetras with their iridescent blue grey and red fins.

Red phantoms are medium sized, columbians are large, both are deep bodied and don't do a lot of zipping around the tank.

Forgot pics
Thank you, I really like the looks of the columbian tetras, hopefully I could find some
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
MacZ said:
More red-eyes, of course! Just stock up to 12. :)
You could do 10-12 red eyes plus 8-10 columbians (bc they are bigger) :) I love big tetra schools, but also 2 schools if the tank can accommodate.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
You could do 10-12 red eyes plus 8-10 columbians (bc they are bigger) :) I love big tetra schools, but also 2 schools if the tank can accommodate.
If I were two up the number of red eyes to about ten, and have my golden Gourami in the tank (40 gallon breeder), about how many of another tetra could I have? I don’t wanna over stock it but I do also keep it clean on a good schedule
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
danielsnod12 said:
If I were two up the number of red eyes to about ten, and have my golden Gourami in the tank (40 gallon breeder), about how many of another tetra could I have? I don’t wanna over stock it but I do also keep it clean on a good schedule
Is this a planted tank? If it's still fish only, maybe I would stick with the 10-16 red eyes. (I have a 3ft tank with 16 flame tetras and I like the school). It would be better piece of mind if bioload is concerned.

Having said that, you will see dynamic change with a larger school the way they interact with eachother. At least I find it to be a big difference. They really DO appreciate the more the merrier. If I was to choose between two smaller groups of tetra types, or one larger group one type, I would hands down pick the latter.

I tend to understock my tanks and they are planted, so if you'd rather a lower bioload, go with more red eyes.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #12
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
Is this a planted tank? If it's still fish only, maybe I would stick with the 10-16 red eyes. (I have a 3ft tank with 16 flame tetras and I like the school). It would be better piece of mind if bioload is concerned.

Having said that, you will see dynamic change with a larger school the way they interact with eachother. At least I find it to be a big difference. They really DO appreciate the more the merrier. If I was to choose between two smaller groups of tetra types, or one larger group one type, I would hands down pick the latter.

I tend to understock my tanks and they are planted, so if you'd rather a lower bioload, go with more red eyes.
It’s not a planted tank, but I do have a intake sponge on the way to add to my tank to help maintain the water quality but I’ll probably go with more red eyes for sure, might add some more or a new one after seeing how the sponge does, I’m still fairly new to this so I don’t wanna over stock that’s for sure
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
danielsnod12 said:
It’s not a planted tank, but I do have a intake sponge on the way to add to my tank to help maintain the water quality but I’ll probably go with more red eyes for sure, might add some more or a new one after seeing how the sponge does, I’m still fairly new to this so I don’t wanna over stock that’s for sure
I think that's the best choice then 100%. I would add 6 more as macZ said. Honestly all I did was complicate your thread sorry :confused::oops:

Which filter do you currently have?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
I think that's the best choice then 100%. I would add 6 more as macZ said. Honestly all I did was complicate your thread sorry :confused::oops:

Which filter do you currently have?
No worry’s it’s all good :) I have the marineland penguin 200, so far seems to be doing good
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,687
Reaction score
3,712
Location
Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
May I still suggest slowly switching to life plants? The fish will appreciate it. Easy plants that give cover from above are appreciated by many fish. Red eyes and Gourami included.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
MacZ said:
May I still suggest slowly switching to life plants? The fish will appreciate it. Easy plants that give cover from above are appreciated by many fish. Red eyes and Gourami included.
I agree! Even starting with some floaters and easy plants will be appreciated! I didn't know how easy it was to grow some plants.
Just ask if you like to try some and we can give you some names of easier plants to try ;)
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
MacZ said:
May I still suggest slowly switching to life plants? The fish will appreciate it. Easy plants that give cover from above are appreciated by many fish. Red eyes and Gourami included.
I just have normal aquarium gravel that I bought at PetSmart, if I’d decide to try some live plants can I just use normal gravel or do I need something else? I’ve never attempted keeping live plants at all
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
danielsnod12 said:
I just have normal aquarium gravel that I bought at PetSmart, if I’d decide to try some live plants can I just use normal gravel or do I need something else? I’ve never attempted keeping live plants at all
Yes I have gravel too! Do you know your tank's pH? Hardness (KH and GH) would be more helpful, but a separate test to buy.

Also what do you have for lighting?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #21
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
Yes I have gravel too! Do you know your tank's pH? Hardness (KH and GH) would be more helpful, but a separate test to buy.

Also what do you have for lighting?
The pH is about 7.1-7.2
and the light I have it’s a coralife brand with 10,000k daylight bulb and actinic blue light bulb, they both switch in at the same time, in all honesty idk what they mean the person at the pet store suggested it would work just fine for my tank
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
I checked out your pic, your tank is really nice :) I was thinking of something that could eventually replace the tall artificial plants and elgeria or elodea densa came to mind.

I grow it in softer water, it has adapted to harder water and grows with lower to mid lighting.

I used to root it to the gravel and let it grow upward. Any side shoots I replanted to make a new plant. I had a nice bushy area before long and I think it would look similar to your decor style. It's a stem plant that is generally a free floating plant, but you can create bunches of tall stems. I'm just careful not to plant them too closely together so that the bottom leaves still receive a bit of light. Anyway i'll tell you more about it, but I think it's a good plant to look for for you.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #23
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
I checked out your pic, your tank is really nice :) I was thinking of something that could eventually replace the tall artificial plants and elgeria or elodea densa came to mind.

I grow it in softer water, it has adapted to harder water and grows with lower to mid lighting.

I used to root it to the gravel and let it grow upward. Any side shoots I replanted to make a new plant. I had a nice bushy area before long and I think it would look similar to your decor style. It's a stem plant that is generally a free floating plant, but you can create bunches of tall stems. I'm just careful not to plant them too closely together so that the bottom leaves still receive a bit of light. Anyway i'll tell you more about it, but I think it's a good plant to look for for you.
Thank you, I’ll definitely look into that plant, I’m still not completely sure if I’ll switch over or not, it’s also pretty hard to find plants around here, all the pet stores near me are the big chain stores and I hardly see live plants at them. If I were to add some would I need to do anything different or do I just plant them? Also if I decide to stick with my artificial ones I have now will my fish still be happy and healthy?

sorry this is far from what the original question of the thread was, I just have so many questions and it’s nice having someone to help:)
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,687
Reaction score
3,712
Location
Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
danielsnod12 said:
Thank you, I’ll definitely look into that plant, I’m still not completely sure if I’ll switch over or not, it’s also pretty hard to find plants around here, all the pet stores near me are the big chain stores and I hardly see live plants at them. If I were to add some would I need to do anything different or do I just plant them? Also if I decide to stick with my artificial ones I have now will my fish still be happy and healthy?

sorry this is far from what the original question of the thread was, I just have so many questions and it’s nice having someone to help:)
Your fish themselves will likely not care if the plants are real or not, but the water chemistry will be more stable and generally the water quality will improve, as plants use most of the Nitrates and other Nitrogen compounds we have to remove by doing waterchanges. I'm not saying with plants waterchanges are obsolete (far from it!) but with them you have more room and don't have to do a 50% wc exactly every 7 days, but can wait a day or two if necessary and only do 30% or so. That's completely dependent on the development, so don't take those numbers exactly, they're just an example.

If you can't source them locally, I'd order them, put a note out at a store or look on ebay local. Egeria densa doesn't need much care. Plant it and let it grow. Just remove parts that become brownish. Usually that parts got too little light. Towards the ground it might sometimes be less dense, while closer to the surface it becomes a thicket.

You can see that in my tank. On the left behind the driftwood I only planted a few short stems, on the right I got a thicket.
20200915_160625.jpg

Edit: And so what? It's your thread, do what you like. Though, angelcraze and I (mostly) actually changed the topic, but if you are interested, we are more than eager to help. :)
 

MacZ

Well Known
Member
Messages
3,687
Reaction score
3,712
Location
Europe
Experience
More than 10 years
fishkeepinginaisa said:
I think cardinal tetras would really make the red eyes of the other tetras pop when someone looks at the aquarium.
Quite the opposite actually. I lately saw red-eyes in a store together with red phantoms, and it took me a moment to realize the red-eyes were even there. They look far better with a dark background and fish whose colours are complementary, and not the same colour direction. Basically anything red makes the red-eyes visually disappear.
 

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,209
Reaction score
4,449
Location
Canada QC
Experience
More than 10 years
danielsnod12 said:
Thank you, I’ll definitely look into that plant, I’m still not completely sure if I’ll switch over or not, it’s also pretty hard to find plants around here, all the pet stores near me are the big chain stores and I hardly see live plants at them. If I were to add some would I need to do anything different or do I just plant them? Also if I decide to stick with my artificial ones I have now will my fish still be happy and healthy?

sorry this is far from what the original question of the thread was, I just have so many questions and it’s nice having someone to help:)
Here's a pic of my elodea
20151128_223513.jpg

It's a bare bottom tank and I just lightly tied the stalks together and weighed them. In gravel, the anchor roots root into it. This tank has nothing added, only fresh water. The plant on the wood is java fern.

Next time you go to the store, look at some plants that are available and maybe we can help you from there.

There's lots of plants to try!

Crypt wendtii would almost surely grow. There is a red, green and bronze variety and fairly common to find. My wendtii grows runners all under the substrate, babies everywhere. It is planted in the substrate and would appreciate a root tab, but that's all you need to add some easy plants. I use Osmocote plus granules as root tabs, but seachem and API makes some too.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #28
OP
danielsnod12

danielsnod12

New Member
Member
Messages
31
Reaction score
12
Experience
3 years
angelcraze said:
Here's a pic of my elodea
20151128_223513.jpg

It's a bare bottom tank and I just lightly tied the stalks together and weighed them. In gravel, the anchor roots root into it. This tank has nothing added, only fresh water. The plant on the wood is java fern.

Next time you go to the store, look at some plants that are available and maybe we can help you from there.

There's lots of plants to try!

Crypt wendtii would almost surely grow. There is a red, green and bronze variety and fairly common to find. My wendtii grows runners all under the substrate, babies everywhere. It is planted in the substrate and would appreciate a root tab, but that's all you need to add some easy plants. I use Osmocote plus granules as root tabs, but seachem and API makes some too.
I’ll definitely be on the look next time I go out, I really wanna try live plants, the pictures of ya’ll tanks look amazing and I hope one day mine will look like them
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
86
Guests online
1,979
Total visitors
2,065

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom