What would/do you do? ph problem. Question

1. f

fishlee Valued Member Member

Im getting realy annoyed with my cycle crashing due to the ph in my water supply. Its too low to measure with an api master kit and seachem ph monitor ( goes to 5.8 )

I have just bought a fluval 306 external. my cycle crashed so i thort why not cycle an extra filter at the same time.

Im trying to decide if i should fill the carbon tray with crushed coral and keep it in there once its fully cycled again. Or do i fill it with ceramic media and use a ph buffering chemical eg. ph 6.5. my only problem with that being i keep discus and do 3 x 50-70% w/c's a week and would go thru alot of it so its going to cost a bit in the long run.

I have already left airated water standing for 24 hours and its still unreadable. Also i wouldnt use that technique anyway.
    Would using coral media or cuttle bone ect. not cause too many ph fluctuations for discus everytime i do my water changes?

I just dont know :banghead:

2. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

I would invest in a Reverse Osmosis Filter. It is a type of filter that produces Pure Water with about a pH of 6.5-7.0, soft water, no ammonia, nitrate, or nitrate.

You can hook it up under your sink and keep a storage tank there for your water. You will never have to deal with your tap water being unacceptable.

The filters cost about $140ish but they are well worth it because you wont have to worry about your tap water suddenly having a higher or lower pH. You can get R/O water from the purified drinking machines as well but it i a hassle having to transfer so much water especially for Discus. They will appreciate the investment and if you have live plants they will thrive with the soft water.

I have tried using alternative methods myself to lower my 8.4 tap water's pH and they just dont work. I have tried driftwood, no change in pH. I have tried peat moss, no change in pH. and now im just giving up and getting fish that like hard water with high pH :p

So my biggest suggestion is to invest in a Reverse Osmosis Filter. Make sure to do plenty of research on them first as they can be confusing. There are several types as well, like 3 stage, 4 stage, 5 stage etc. but I think the 4 stage is good enough, the rest just have additional filter units that do the same thing.

Here is a good site for them: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/reverse-osmosis-systems.html

3. Claire Bear

Claire Bear Well Known Member Member

+1
    Hope it works. I just bought RO/DI filter as I am starting saltwater-cant believe the difference in the quality of the water! :)

4. A

AngelZee Valued Member Member

I wish I can have one but I live in an apartment so I cant even mess with the plumbing of the house :(
    But yeah they make a big difference. Oh and I forgot to mention that, while the R/O Filter makes the water nice and pure, it does remove alot of essentials int eh water that the fish need, so just like you add a tap water conditioner to tap water, you will need to add a R/O Water conditioner to the R/O Water to put the essentials back into the water.

5. OP
    OP
    f

Whats the make/model of the one you got claire? Would it need to be set up in its own room with holding barrels ect. :confused:

6. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I have crushed coral in my 306. I keep the sponges in the bottom tray, ceramic media in the middle tray and in the top tray I have a bag of carbon on one side and crushed coral on the other.

But I'm not sure if using crushed coral is okay with Discus. At that low of a pH all the ammonia in the tank will actually be ammonium, which is far less toxic *some say non toxic). So if your discus can tolerate he ammonium, you might not have to worry about your pH at all, since as far as I know, discus prefer soft, acidic water.

7. OP
    OP
    f

Yeah it will be ammonium. They do like the water but i hate the readings. Im goin to follow your way but put the coral in the middle tray and ceramic at the top and romove the carbon all together. I dont think i have the space or time for an RO unite tbh