What would be the minimum size aquarium for discus?

EpikTurtle

I recently had a thought of buying discus later on for my 34gallon aquarium. Is the aquarium too small? I hear 10gallons per discus so could I get 3?

Thunder_o_b

They are big fish full grown, and like to be in groups. Me? no less than 100 gallons.

But that is me.

A201

Years ago I kept a group of six Discus in a 58 gal. Oceanic show tank.
Two of the Discus grew as big as large coffee saucers. Three were a little smaller & one was stunted.
Although the group did well for several years, the tank always looked cramped. Things would have looked more natural in a larger tank.

SotaAquatics

I like to think instead of how small of a tank I can get to cram in large fish... how big of a tank can I get for a really small fish. There are very beautiful small fish that could do great in a 34. I personally find some kilifish species to be just as colorful as discus, just in a much smaller package.

DoubleDutch

I like to think instead of how small of a tank I can get to cram in large fish... how big of a tank can I get for a really small fish. There are very beautiful small fish that could do great in a 34. I personally find some kilifish species to be just as colorful as discus, just in a much smaller package.
applause !

EpikTurtle

They are big fish full grown, and like to be in groups. Me? no less than 100 gallons.

But that is me.
100 gallons......
Rightio. Examples of those very beautiful fish?

jpm995

No matter how large a tank i get it will always have a school of cardinals.

Jonahtheplecolvr

I dont keep discus but I once asked the owner of my LFS and he said that the minimum should be 55 gallons. They get up to 8 inches full grown and he also said that it should ideally be bigger. I ended up keeping angelfish since my biggest tank is 40 gallons. they are a great alternitive in my opinion and you can get them in many colors and shapes. I have a golden angel with long fins and and a zebra with short fins. They are one of my favorite fish (but obviously, hence my name plecos are my favorite). good luck with your tank.

Prevail

I recently had a thought of buying discus later on for my 34gallon aquarium. Is the aquarium too small? I hear 10gallons per discus so could I get 3?
No, discus get big and they like to be in groups. 55 gallons is the bare minimum, but they would do much better in a 100 gallon tank or more. Angelfish would be better for a 34 gallon aquarium if you want a fish that looks kinda similar to angels

EpikTurtle

No, discus get big and they like to be in groups. 55 gallons is the bare minimum, but they would do much better in a 100 gallon tank or more. Angelfish would be better for a 34 gallon aquarium if you want a fish that looks kinda similar to angels
Yeh thought so. Either way I will keep it in mind.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaticQueen
Replies
Views
Risk
Replies
Views
Ferrah
  • Question
Replies